AKG k702 VS Sennheiser HD650: which would work better for my taste?
Jul 24, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #16 of 71
Quote:
K701, Q701 and K702 are sonically indistinguishable to me (and Tyll from innerfidelity if you don't trust my word.)

This has been beat to death by every side.
They are different.
No, They are the same.
No, AKG has quietly revised all the designs without saying anything.
They used to sound different, now they all sound the same, etc, etc.

Personally, I have heard a pair of K702 and Q701s side by side, as far as me and another guy felt, they sounded different, but extremely similar.

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #18 of 71
Heh, just read you like to listen to vinyl-records... the K701 shines at over emphasizing those little pops just like all Grados do.

Jul 24, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #19 of 71
This has been beat to death by every side.
They are different.
No, They are the same.
No, AKG has quietly revised all the designs without saying anything.
Thye used to sound different, now they all sound the same, etc, etc.

Personally, I have heard a pair of K702 and Q701s side by side, as far as me and another guy felt, they sounded different, but extremely similar.

No you missed the point - you have to know which S/N range the unit is from, and then you correlate that to the modulation of the dilithium matrix and it's interaction with the Mutara Nebula in order to modulate it's marked frequency and phase deviation which will get you the net integration product of it's fidelity output. This is really quite elementary. :p

Seriously: I look at it this way, absolute worst-case scenario, they all sound the exact same and just look different. Which is how the K701 and K702 were compared for a long time. Absolute best-case scenario, they are different, and from what I've seen in reviews, the Q701 usually ends up being the "best" (in terms of "this is for music listening") out of that difference. The upside is, the Q701 is usually the cheapest option day-to-day as well, and gives you three color choices (two that aren't insane :rolleyes:). So it's not something I'd worry about.

Jul 24, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #20 of 71
Quote:
No you missed the point - you have to know which S/N range the unit is from, and then you correlate that to the modulation of the dilithium matrix and it's interaction with the Mutara Nebula in order to modulate it's marked frequency and phase deviation which will get you the net integration product of it's fidelity output. This is really quite elementary.
tongue.gif

And keep an eye on that damned starboard power coupling.  That blasted thing is always going down, and of course that's gonna throw your inertial dampeners out of whack in a jiffy. 
wink.gif

Jul 24, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #21 of 71
And keep an eye on that damned starboard power coupling.  That blasted thing is always going down, and of course that's gonna throw your inertial dampeners out of whack in a jiffy.  :wink:

Son, don't be talkin' about my intertial dampers like that.

Have we sufficiently confused the non-Trek fans out there yet?

Jul 24, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #23 of 71
Quote:
Have we sufficiently confused the non-Trek fans out there yet?

I think so.  But there's always the chance that some people will get it and join in with something about coolant leaks and such...

Quote:
I'm sure we'll all be fine as long as there isn't a coolant leak of some sort......

Well, there ya go!

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #24 of 71
Quote:
No you missed the point - you have to know which S/N range the unit is from, and then you correlate that to the modulation of the dilithium matrix and it's interaction with the Mutara Nebula in order to modulate it's marked frequency and phase deviation which will get you the net integration product of it's fidelity output. This is really quite elementary.
tongue.gif

Seriously: I look at it this way, absolute worst-case scenario, they all sound the exact same and just look different. Which is how the K701 and K702 were compared for a long time. Absolute best-case scenario, they are different, and from what I've seen in reviews, the Q701 usually ends up being the "best" (in terms of "this is for music listening") out of that difference. The upside is, the Q701 is usually the cheapest option day-to-day as well, and gives you three color choices (two that aren't insane
rolleyes.gif
). So it's not something I'd worry about.

I suspect the truth is there have been some running changes, and if you bought a K701, K702 and Q701 manufactured in July 2012, they would all sound the same.
I also suspect that when the Q was introduced it did sound different than the Ks. And now the Ks sound like the Qs.

There seems to be far too many stories about different and identical sounding Ks and Qs for there not to be some truth in all of it.

But to determine the real truth we would have to bend the time/space continuum.
redface.gif

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #25 of 71
To me the k702 sounds good but doesn't sound natural. The k702 soundstage is very wide with a ton of air between elements, i feel this and the lack of real bass gives a less "in the studio/concert hall" experience. I was hoping the akg's sounstage would give me a speaker like experience, but instead I found a back of a concert hall experience with sounstage elements spaced widely apart. The placement of instruments was therefore easy to point at but were far away/small. 

The hd650 are very detailed but it's not as obvious since there is no treble emphasis. The hd650's sound very much like real live instruments and is far more natural. This is from a more upfront presentation with elements sounding closer and more intimate. Images are med/large gives instruments a very realistic presence and the sufficient bass gives cellos and drums realistic body. The soundstage is great but again it isn't as in your face obvious because there isn't as much space between soundstage elements. I also found the hd650 more comfy :D

I personally feel the hd650 is in a different league. This observation comes from the value I place on realism of presence and weight. It just sounds natural. I really wanted to like the k702s, i even sold them and bought them again but due to comfort I couldnt keep them. When I got the hd650's next, all remorse went out the window. The hd650 are the end of the line for me. 

(excuse the choppy writing, ive got a busted hand... very hard to type)

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #26 of 71
You really can't go wrong with either can, as they're both great sounding.  I had the LD at the same time as the cans you're asking about, but unfortunately, I used other amps so am not sure how the LD would pair with either can.

Personally, given the choice between the two, I'd go with the Senns.  They were a bit more comfortable for me, which allowed for longer listening sessions, while at the same time providing a sound that I could be drawn into. 

You really can't go wrong with either, and I'm sure the LD is enough to power them both.  And, besides, I'm sure you'll get one and then at some point in the future, the other. 

Isn't that how we do things around here? 

Cheers.

Edit:  I was thinking about this and, from what I recall, the LD is a very warm sounding amp.  It may not match well with the Senns so the AKG's is probably the way to go. 

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #27 of 71
Quote:
You really can't go wrong with either can, as they're both great sounding.  I had the LD at the same time as the cans you're asking about, but unfortunately, I used other amps so am not sure how the LD would pair with either can.

Personally, given the choice between the two, I'd go with the Senns.  They were a bit more comfortable for me, which allowed for longer listening sessions, while at the same time providing a sound that I could be drawn into. 

You really can't go wrong with either, and I'm sure the LD is enough to power them both.  And, besides, I'm sure you'll get one and then at some point in the future, the other. 

Isn't that how we do things around here? 

Cheers.

Edit:  I was thinking about this and, from what I recall, the LD is a very warm sounding amp.  It may not match well with the Senns so the AKG's is probably the way to go. 

Sure, first you get Senns, then the AKGs, then a pair of Grados, followed by a pair of Beyers.........................LOL!

Seriously, never underestimate trying on a pair to make sure YOU think they are comfortable!

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #28 of 71
Quote:
K701, Q701 and K702 are sonically indistinguishable to me (and Tyll from innerfidelity if you don't trust my word.)

And I just remembered sumthin'
A few weeks ago a friend of mine told me that his Q701s were significantly more efficient than his K701s.

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #29 of 71
My musical tastes are similar to the OP's and I have owned both these headphones. My HD650s were recabled with a SAA Equinox cable. I have also owned the HD600.

While I think there are better options out there at higher prices for your musical preferences, the street prices on these two headphones make them relative bargains. Of the two, I would take the HD650s, or for a more neutral sound signature, with less bass, the HD600 would be a better choice IMO.

Jul 24, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #30 of 71
From an ergonomics standpoint, the Q701 is no good for people like me who have giant heads. I used the DT 880 and 990 at full extension and they were very comfy even through the cups would touch the bottoms of my ears. The Q701 has a little less extension and the spring loaded adjustment plus the bumps on the hard leather headband hurt badly. I much prefer the long oval cups on the HD 580/600/650.

Thankfully, I prefer the Senns sound signature for their extra warmth. I think the HD 600 is well balanced and above average at most genres if you plan on just buying one headphone. The Q701 was a little too clinical sounding with classical rock and modern pop for my tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back