AKG k702 or Sennheiser HD650
Nov 21, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #61 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The newer HD650's aren't dull at all. I do admit it's a bit laid back, but it still has detail.

It's good start that you have the courage to admit. lol, what's up with the sound stage Valhalla location.

Nov 21, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #62 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The newer HD650's aren't dull at all. I do admit it's a bit laid back, but it still has detail.

I never heard the old HD650 but my HD650 (new version) is certainly not laid back and very upfront and aggresive,both in the mids and the highs. I tried them in all of my gear,including the super warm and full earmax pro and they have at least 200 hours of burn in just in case.
I needed to use EQ in order to get them sound right to me, and now they sound like I thought the HD650 sound before I bought them (by all the reviews)...full and deep bass response, and a little laid back mids and highs.

Nov 21, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #63 of 97
for the people who actually have both the 650 and 702 or for that matter the 600 and 702 - could you elaborate on the differences and which you prefer for which musical genre and why

Nov 21, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #64 of 97
The definitive answer is patently obvious for everyone contemplating which headphone they should ponder:

Commit yourself to the 'ramen noodle' diet for 6 months.

Purchase every headphone on the market. Purchase every amp combination known to Head-Fi.

Sell a kidney if needed.

Listen to your music in all the formats that have been invented thus far.

Make certain your new favorite genre of music is one you couldn't previously tolerate.

Quit your job and/or studies and devote your life to defining soundstage.

OR

Oh wait, there is no 'OR'. We are all forever doomed before we ever even purchased our first pair. What does this have to do with deciding which headphone to purchase? It doesn't.

The thing is, not one of us has the same opinion as to which headphone is best for themself or others. As much as I've read on Head-Fi, as great as the information is, as terrific as everyone here is at giving of themselves and their time to help others. The only way I've decided is by just buying and listening. Because my experiences have either been spot on or quite the opposite of the consensus here. If there is anything that can resemble a consensus here.

I'd say, choose one. The worst that can happen is you dislike one and sell it and get the other. The best thing? You love whichever one you decide and never purchase another headphone ever again finding your perfect nirvana!

But if you look as most of our sigs here, I don't think nirvana exists! Lmao

Have fun!

Ross

Nov 21, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #65 of 97
I owned 2 pairs of HD600, 2 pairs of HD650 and 2 pairs of K701, haven't tried the K702. I sold the K701 twice and still have no idea why I bought them twice.

And, I'm happy that most amp builders use the HD600/650 as their reference headphones. Anyway, it's totally personal taste and if you tell anything different, it's stupid.

Nov 21, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #66 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Given the way we hear the same thing so differently ("I found it so bright I couldn't listen" --- "Yeah? Mine doesn't sound bright at all") I sometimes wonder why anyone visits these forums looking to know what to buy. I've had several 595s over the years, 120 and 50ohm, and found them the most balanced, even-tempered, just plain listenable phones I've ever heard, and I've heard heaps. Many if not most of the comments I read here about them (though not elsewhere, which is curious) bear no resemblance to what I hear---but then most of the commenmts I read about 880s, 702, AD700s etc bear no resemblance to what I heard from those phones either. Conclusion? Nothing really useful is to be gained from reading other people's opinions in terms of making buying decisions, however entertaining it might be. A general consensus that a phone is bright MAY mean that a phone is bright, but then I've seen the 555/595 described as both bright and dull, with boomy bass and no bass. Sheesh. And this is with headphones, whose differences are relatively gross. Pity the poor blighters in the amp forum, trying to detect the subliminal differences between a Woo 6 and an LD 5. No wonder they resort to hyperbole.

This is patently untrue. While it is well-established that different types of ears exist, and therefore will divide us among our favourite 'phones, amps and sources, there's plenty of use to these forums beyond simply reading yourself type. If I, for instance, like SRH-840's and another person on the forums likes both these and HD 25-1 II's in a similar way/to a comparable extent, this is supportive of me likely appreciating the latter. It's not fool-proof, but researching allows us to calibrate out particular tastes and expand in the right direction. Whether or not you end up at the desired destination is ultimately up to chance, but you are certainly increasing your odds that you actually get there if you pay attention to others' comparable, compatible preferences.

Nov 21, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #67 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's simple than that. you have the clean tone, like the K701/2 HD-800, and you have the veiled and dull tone like the 650s. You can call it warm, it's fine with me you can use any excuse you like.
very_evil_smiley.gif

The HD-650 are Joe six pack perfect illusion of Audiophile headphones.
beerchug.gif

I'd like to hear you state 1 weakness of the K701 that cannot be fixed by amp/source/cable/recording/listener. I only hear you make excuses for them, and I personally don't think you can name 1 weakness. But every headphone has them. Nothing is perfect.

I could name weaknesses for my favorite headphones, and I certainly could for the K701, but I've done that before.

Nov 21, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #68 of 97
Just playing devil's advocate here, but couldn't we very well say that the AKG K701's main weakness in then that it is amp fastidious? We can also say that other headphones' strengths can lie in being more compatible with various sources than the relatively "temperamental" K701.

Nov 21, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #69 of 97
No, because so is the HD650. I'm talking about a weakness that there is no excuse for. Every headphone has them. These comparison threads turn into battles when people are blind fanboys and make excuses for every complaint anyone has about them.

Nov 21, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #70 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to hear you state 1 weakness of the K701 that cannot be fixed by amp/source/cable/recording/listener. I only hear you make excuses for them, and I personally don't think you can name 1 weakness. But every headphone has them. Nothing is perfect.

I could name weaknesses for my favorite headphones, and I certainly could for the K701, but I've done that before.

I hope Sampson Smith answer satisfied you...

You're the classic basshead case, with the K240 Sextett that just step into the year 2000 and discover HD650. What I can say to you for now is...welcome to the future.
smile.gif

Nov 21, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #71 of 97
Once again acting as if you know better than everyone else. You're like a politician. Fill the airwaves with your opinion, and when confronted, just try to discredit the other person. That's cool. But I think it's pretty sad that you cannot see clear enough to provide just 1 weakness. Just 1.

Nov 21, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #72 of 97
I think you'll find a lot of people here who are like that rhythmdevils. Just something I guess we have to live with.

As for a K701 weakness, I'll say that it at times can sound fake. What I mean is that the positioning of instruments can go pear shaped and suddenly seem like the band members are about 10 metres apart. The vast majority of people find the bass to be lacking although I think it's bang on perfect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just playing devil's advocate here, but couldn't we very well say that the AKG K701's main weakness in then that it is amp fastidious? We can also say that other headphones' strengths can lie in being more compatible with various sources than the relatively "temperamental" K701.

I need to buy more amps but I'm beginning to think the amp mismatch is some blown out of proportion story. I got a random amp [HA171] and a well known k701 friendly amp [Heed Canamp] and the Canamp definitely sounds better as it has a much more punchy bass [and it has more bass too] but it's not like the headphones sound like arse from my HA171. They didn't sound terrible out of a STX either, instead just had a tiny sound stage and the bass was muddy because it was underamped.

Nov 21, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #73 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once again acting as if you know better than everyone else. You're like a politician. Fill the airwaves with your opinion, and when confronted, just try to discredit the other person. That's cool. But I think it's pretty sad that you cannot see clear enough to provide just 1 weakness. Just 1.

I just can add to Sampson Smith statement. The K701/2 sounds very bad with some of the heavy tubes the sound get distorted very easy, and people think w0w but my 501 sounds better with my tubes... lol, of course the K-501 sounds better with some tubes, they are 150 ohm.
angry_face.gif

Nov 21, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #75 of 97
I'd probably pay money for the ability to not notice weaknesses. Would have saved me a lot of money in the long run with all these upgrades that I do every year
wink.gif

I miss the days when I paid more attention to the music rather than how good the equipment reproducing it is....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back