AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
May 15, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #3,196 of 3,395
  The AKG K550s are still in the box, will be opening them this weekend.. I started this headphone path, about 3 months ago, with something call "Bluedios".. I quickly dumped them, and moved to the Sony, dumped the lower Sony BT for the higher Sony BT, crazy about them. Hitched on to some refurbished Harman Kardon BTs, and they are super for the $97 I paid for them..Now I want a closed back wired. Hence, for my budget, the AKG K550 were perfect. I was going for the refurbished ones for $130, but they made a mistake in my order and rectified it by letting me have a new pair of AKG K550 for $143. So, now I want to try open back, hence my interest in the AKG Q701, for $199 new, is super.. But, reading further, and sugar being thrown in, I am upped my budget, and now looking at paying close to $400 for the open back, either the Annv, or the K712..

I don't have a golden ear, that's for sure, I am 3 month old noob and liking every bit it of it. If I get some to sound better than the Sony MDR 1RBTMK2, I think I be happy big time.. 
beerchug.gif

Hrm, tough call then. Give the K550 a try and report back. Here's how I see it.

If you really like the K550's sound, enjoy the overall clarity, and do not think it lacks bass, I'd lean towards the Q701.

If you kinda like the K550's sound, but you do think it lacks bass and wish it had a little more oomph to it, I'd lean towards the K712. 

Tbh, either one is a pretty good pick. The Q701 can be found for some pretty darn good prices though, if that's something you'd consider. 

May 18, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #3,197 of 3,395

Hrm, tough call then. Give the K550 a try and report back. Here's how I see it.

If you really like the K550's sound, enjoy the overall clarity, and do not think it lacks bass, I'd lean towards the Q701.

If you kinda like the K550's sound, but you do think it lacks bass and wish it had a little more oomph to it, I'd lean towards the K712. 

Tbh, either one is a pretty good pick. The Q701 can be found for some pretty darn good prices though, if that's something you'd consider. 

I opened up the K550s today.. They were great for the limited time I had them on.. First off, I put them into my E18.. didn't like the E18 or the source wasn't too good. Anyway, with the O2+ODAC and K550 had me with a locked grin..didn't listen to any bassy music, mostly highs. Will try some music with bass in it the next couple days.. Getting the Q701, I could save a clean $177 over the K712, and the 702 ANNV.. Will see.

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #3,198 of 3,395
Hi guys,
Ive only recently got into headphones and just recently purchased the Annies and was wondering what amp I should get?  ive narrowed it down to two choices the Burson Soloist SL ($715) and and the Lehmann Black Cube ($1100). I was wondering if you guys have any input in which amp I should purchase or have any other suggestions for amps? It will be mainly be used for watching movies and a listening to a bit of dance music. I would also like to use the amp with the fidelio x1.

Jun 13, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #3,199 of 3,395
  Hi guys,
Ive only recently got into headphones and just recently purchased the Annies and was wondering what amp I should get?  ive narrowed it down to two choices the Burson Soloist SL ($715) and and the Lehmann Black Cube ($1100). I was wondering if you guys have any input in which amp I should purchase or have any other suggestions for amps? It will be mainly be used for watching movies and a listening to a bit of dance music. I would also like to use the amp with the fidelio x1.

Hello! Welcome to head-fi! 

I had a Burson Soloist (full one) and didn't like it with the AKG K702 anniversary. 

The Lehmann black cube would be a good pick. But, IMO save yourself some money, and get the Matrix M-stage. It's an identical clone and will save you about $900. Matrix will also do very well with the X1s.

Jun 13, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #3,201 of 3,395

I had a Burson Soloist (full one) and didn't like it with the AKG K702 anniversary. 

The Lehmann black cube would be a good pick. But, IMO save yourself some money, and get the Matrix M-stage. It's an identical clone and will save you about $900. Matrix will also do very well with the X1s.

Thanks for the quick reply. What was it that you didn't like about the Annies + Soloist? And regarding the Matrix M-Stage, are you talking about the original Matrix M-Stage or the newer Matrix M-Stage HPA?

Jun 13, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #3,202 of 3,395

Thanks for the quick reply. What was it that you didn't like about the Annies + Soloist? And regarding the Matrix M-Stage, are you talking about the original Matrix M-Stage or the newer Matrix M-Stage HPA?

TBH, I didn't like the soloist with a lot of my headphones. It sounded grainy, bright, and sucked out the midrange. I really didn't think it was worth the asking price. 

The M-Stage has HPA-1 and HPA-2. The HPA-2 is the newer version, and as far as the amplifier is concerned, I don't think a lot of changes were made. From what I've heard, the HPA-2 has a much better DAC, if you're looking as using the USB DAC with it. I haven't heard either one's DAC, so I can't help you out there. 

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #3,206 of 3,395
The AKG K550s are still in the box, will be opening them this weekend.. I started this headphone path, about 3 months ago, with something call "Bluedios".. I quickly dumped them, and moved to the Sony, dumped the lower Sony BT for the higher Sony BT, crazy about them. Hitched on to some refurbished Harman Kardon BTs, and they are super for the $97 I paid for them..Now I want a closed back wired. Hence, for my budget, the AKG K550 were perfect. I was going for the refurbished ones for $130, but they made a mistake in my order and rectified it by letting me have a new pair of AKG K550 for $143. So, now I want to try open back, hence my interest in the AKG Q701, for $199 new, is super.. But, reading further, and sugar being thrown in, I am upped my budget, and now looking at paying close to $400 for the open back, either the Annv, or the K712..

I don't have a golden ear, that's for sure, I am 3 month old noob and liking every bit it of it. If I get some to sound better than the Sony MDR 1RBTMK2, I think I be happy big time.. :beerchug:  

If you like the K550 then I think should consider AD900X. To me K550 and AD900x sound similar, except better. Just throwing that out there to consider. Hope you like the K550 and won't have to return them and find that sound signature you like.

Jun 25, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #3,207 of 3,395

If you like the K550 then I think should consider AD900X. To me K550 and AD900x sound similar, except better. Just throwing that out there to consider. Hope you like the K550 and won't have to return them and find that sound signature you like.

I highly doubt this, even the AD2000X isn't as good as the K550, and audio-technica doesn't exactly have a good track record when it comes to their high end gear

Jun 25, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #3,208 of 3,395
  I highly doubt this, even the AD2000X isn't as good as the K550, and audio-technica doesn't exactly have a good track record when it comes to their high end gear

We'll have to agree to disagree.  The AD900x is a much much better headphone than the K550 in every aspect, bass, treble, mids, soundstage, speed etc.  For me, K550 does nothing better than AD900x other than isolation and build strength, which is what I bought it for.  But I stand by my assessment of owning K550 and K712, if person I was giving suggesting to enjoys the K550 sound, I'd sooner reach for AD900x than K7xx.  K550 is a much brighter, forward headphone than the K712, which likely has a similar signature sound as K702-AE.

Even vs K712 depending on my mood, the AD900x is preferable.  The bass has more impact and volume than K712 and the vocals and mids are more luscious.  K712 to me has recessed mids and tamed treble now, so for long term comfort listening, K712 wins, and I don't always want all that music charging at me like it does with AD900x.  

I expect the AD2000x to exceed the AD900x in nearly all aspects.  So your opinion doesn't jive with me at all.  Can't expect AT to please all, but you find haters for every brand.

I'm listening to James Holden's Balance 005 for those groovy beats, AD900x rocks both K550 and K712.

Jun 25, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #3,209 of 3,395

Did something happen with the "X" line? I had a pair of AD2000 and thought they were one of the best dynamic headphones I had ever heard! 

I thought the AD900X (when I owned it) was far superior to the K550 in just about every way possible. 

Jun 25, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #3,210 of 3,395

Did something happen with the "X" line? I had a pair of AD2000 and thought they were one of the best dynamic headphones I had ever heard! 

I thought the AD900X (when I owned it) was far superior to the K550 in just about every way possible. 

The AD2000X has remarkably low distortion, lower than any other dynamic, but is highly colored, middy, and a little slow and sloppy compared to the HD800/Q701/etc.

Can't speak for the non-X version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back