AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Mar 22, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #1,141 of 2,435
In contact with Schiit, 

They have the Coolest **** ever! Am really lusting after a pair of tube amps...(ok played guitar...tubes are just too cool!)...pretty much a bargain at 350 buckarooss...just don't know how well they would travel...have always lusted after a sub 5w amp head for my gittar with say just one preamp ax12 and one 6l6...this is like that head but for your phones! Friggin' awesome! 4 tubes! In the Valhalla for a lousy extra 150 bucks over solid state! You'd have to be crazy not to go there! 350 bucks! Not chump change, but for four tubes! Don't think I can find a preamp for that...

Aaaarrrgggghhh...just have to find the money now......

Mar 22, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #1,142 of 2,435
  In contact with Schiit, 

They have the Coolest **** ever! Am really lusting after a pair of tube amps...(ok played guitar...tubes are just too cool!)...pretty much a bargain at 350 buckarooss...just don't know how well they would travel...have always lusted after a sub 5w amp head for my gittar with say just one preamp ax12 and one 6l6...this is like that head but for your phones! Friggin' awesome! 4 tubes! In the Valhalla for a lousy extra 150 bucks over solid state! You'd have to be crazy not to go there! 350 bucks! Not chump change, but for four tubes! Don't think I can find a preamp for that...

Aaaarrrgggghhh...just have to find the money now.....

Another amp which is a cheaper tube amp is the Hifiman EF2A which pairs very well with the K612. It's of the best options for an amp under $200.

Mar 22, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #1,143 of 2,435
Qinpu A3 is much, much better than EF2A for $10 more.

Oh wait, it's you again. 
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 22, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #1,145 of 2,435
Everything.  Everything is better.  No exceptions.  EF2A just sounds so fuzzy, unrefined, and polite versus the A3.

A used KICAS is a great option as far as solid-state.  It will bring out delicacy in K601/612's sound that one might have overlooked before.

Mar 22, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #1,147 of 2,435
Mar 23, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #1,149 of 2,435
For anyone that got a pair of these and noticed the headband is angled more forward than back -  causing it to slighly dig into your head or simply not sit flush - the band is capable of being rotated. It's just that it may be slightly stuck and requires a little effort on each side one at a time.

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #1,151 of 2,435
Just installed a pair of K701 pads on my K612's and WOLLA!

In all seriousness, as a cheaper end headphone compared to what you can pay, the K612 with a few mods in terms of pads and a change of OPAMP on my Titanium HD and these babies a rich, smooth, bassy and lively all at the same time!

Thanks Change is Good for the idea and recommendation and then helping me get the pads in NZ.

World of difference mate

Cheers

motorwayne 

Mar 25, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #1,152 of 2,435
  Just installed a pair of K701 pads on my K612's and WOLLA!

In all seriousness, as a cheaper end headphone compared to what you can pay, the K612 with a few mods in terms of pads and a change of OPAMP on my Titanium HD and these babies a rich, smooth, bassy and lively all at the same time!

Thanks Change is Good for the idea and recommendation and then helping me get the pads in NZ.

World of difference mate

Cheers

motorwayne 

Glad I could help!!!

beerchug.gif

Mar 25, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #1,154 of 2,435
Was VERRRY tempted to splurge on Schiidt tube amps, or experiment with some class-a kits and tube kits on ebay, but got impatient and found some older musical fidelity v-cans (mark 1) gathering dust at my local shop here in bergen.  Got 100 bucks off (they were missing box and power supply), still a bit steep at 160 bucks.  This is Norway remember, rip-off city for music and photo gear..ALMOST but not quite as bad as say Aus...

That helped, at least the k612's are loud enough (certainly very detailed).  Not the greatest sound in the world (then I don't have the greatest DACs in the world), have a feeling I need better sound sources, and most likely I got so used to semiaural k141's which have mellowed out over the years that the open-headphone sound is just not really for me.  

Was impossible to find fiio 09k here which was my other 'budget' choice..and didn't want to deal with shipping, VAT etc and 2-3 week wait for overseas amazon/ebay order.  Mind you can find lots of interesting tube-amps from china on ebay these days! As long as the circuit design is ok (not expecting point-to-point wiring), 100-150 bucks for a tube amp ain't bad! Might have a bit of trouble sourcing chinese tubes (guess they are mostly ax/ay12 variants, much like preamp stage in my little gibson skylark guitar amp...

Thanks all for the advice and help....for once posting when not trying to work my way through a case of brews and accadacca (AC-DC) full blast! Have tried on some more difficult music as well (classical, Cassandra Wilson, Leo Kottke etc)...

regards

Edit: same shop, original k602's were going for 2900 nok/480usd!!

Apr 4, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #1,155 of 2,435
It'd be nice if somebody measured K612's FR :/
I'd be curios to see it to validate [or disprove] my findings :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back