AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Mar 19, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #1,111 of 2,435
To clarify, I have 2 DAC's...the one on the mobo and the one on the m-audio black-box...both which support more than good enough audio for my purposes.  I even have a ****ty usb DAC (creatvie x-fi in stereo for the laptop) all of which should be more than good enough.  The question is why the output is so friggin' low?  I get a medium-volume output on the phones regardless of chosen output...which is loud enough for my purposes, but as this is max volume, just wondering why?  Do I really need to find some tube headphone preamp? My guess is that this set of cans just has a very high impedance or something...and only sound good when really driven by a proper set of phone-amps...or something. Open to suggestions...but can't see a pcie board being part of that solution...may have to resort to some line-out to tubeamp/solid-state solution...(wow last time I got this involved was when I used to play guitar! As you know, tubes are all-important there!)...

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #1,113 of 2,435
Such as? Sorry...should have read the specs and realized they needed an external headphone amp (do we call it a preamp or amp? dunno, from guitar world here...)...

Remember have tried them through both a black box and m-audio speakers, all set to max...result low-medium volume...maybe somewhere in the signal chain it needs to get boosted earlier...

Edit: or there is some stupid windows setting...that would be typical...

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #1,115 of 2,435
To clarify again, everything at absolute MAX volumes, it's just barely over medium-loud listening volumes, perfectly ok for the average joe......whereas it should really be intolerable....

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #1,116 of 2,435
And to clarify, yet again, these headphones require more juice than the average headphone. That is why, at max volume on your regular source, it only sounds average (at best).

You need a proper headphone amp for these, my friend... nothing more I can say...

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #1,117 of 2,435
BTW change is good, you're not serious about the amp? Eller? a hahahahaha den var god! Uff da (ok I guess you are serious! But in Norwegian, the translation is **** Asgaard 2!....Classic name! You're a true viking!)...and the website is...you guessed it...http://schiit.com/products/asgard-2!  Sorry, will have to lie down laughing for a bit here!!!

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #1,118 of 2,435
Ok thanks mate...sent a post which may have been unsuitable for younger audiences (well you did have to reference the Asgard 2 amp! ahahaha...sounds great in Norwegian!)...but prbly got deleted by mod. Anyway, thanks for the heads-up, much appreciated. How on earth can they come up with a name like that?

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #1,119 of 2,435
To clarify again, everything at absolute MAX volumes, it's just barely over medium-loud listening volumes, perfectly ok for the average joe......whereas it should really be intolerable....

They need an amp that can drive them well and has good synergy with them. There are various amps you can get with them to bring out their potential. The Hifiman EF2A is another good match for the K612. They are inefficient headphones and a powerful headphone amp is a must for them.

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #1,120 of 2,435
  Ok thanks mate...sent a post which may have been unsuitable for younger audiences (well you did have to reference the Asgard 2 amp! ahahaha...sounds great in Norwegian!)...but prbly got deleted by mod. Anyway, thanks for the heads-up, much appreciated. How on earth can they come up with a name like that?

Don't want to go off topic, but here's a great read about how they came about...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up

And did I mention the K612 absolutely shines on the Asgard 2?!? 
k701smile.gif

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #1,121 of 2,435
Ok thanks mate...anything around the 200 buck mark? Will check out links, back up on the laptop (beast is rendering away)...disappointed the black box doesn't have the juice to power them...hilarious story regarding asgard...akg should really let peps know that they need an external headphone amp...again extremely disappointed. Will have a go again at resoldering beloved 141's, they were really a great set of cans.

Srry my bad wil check out your suggestions...

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #1,122 of 2,435
Did Schiidt et al ever get off the ground? Did they (just perusing the links) ever get on to kickstarter? Great story anyway...

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #1,123 of 2,435
  Did Schiidt et al ever get off the ground? Did they (just perusing the links) ever get on to kickstarter? Great story anyway...

Ask those questions in that thread. Let's try to stay on topic, here, with the K601/K612...

Mar 20, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #1,124 of 2,435
The Matrix Mstage is around 200 bucks [the amp only model]

Mar 20, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #1,125 of 2,435
I don't understand the problem here. They don't need an amp. The run loud enough for me off an mp3 player! Maybe yours are defective or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back