AKG K550 vs Sennheiser Momentum
Sep 16, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #2 of 7
I just did a 3 way shootout between the K550, Momentum, and Sony 7520 (which I kept). I would rate them as follows:

Sound Quality: 7520>K550>Momentum

Portability: Momentum>7520>K550

Comfort: 7520=K550>Momentum

The K550 is quite good, it does not have a removable cable and the fit can be a challenge for some.

The Momentum is a very good portable, but I couldn't get a good fit comfort wise.

The 7520 is excellent. I think possibly the reference for a $300-350 "semi-portable" closed can. If portability is not a factor, the Mad Dog should also be considered.

Sep 16, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #3 of 7
I would have added the KEF M500 to that shoot out.  I find the comfort and sound quality to be amazing and they definitely fit the portable bill as well, folding up very nicely. I still need to hear the 7520, though I hear good things about it.

Sep 16, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #4 of 7
  I would have added the KEF M500 to that shoot out.  I find the comfort and sound quality to be amazing and they definitely fit the portable bill as well, folding up very nicely. I still need to hear the 7520, though I hear good things about it.

I'll try and check those out too. You should definitely try and audition the 7520. In fact, I would not even consider it a portable. Just a great full sized closed headphone which happens to be somewhat portable. Since it has 3.5mm jack, replacing the long coiled cable is cheap and easy.

Sep 16, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #7 of 7
K550 is very light-sounding, nice tonality, decently neutral. Highs are kind of sweet, syrupy sounding. Can be airy. Momentum is nicely balanced but feel a bit strangled, muddy, rolled off. Don't recall that it has a very airy sound. Both are pretty comfortable. I prefer my Yamaha pro 400 to both. That was $150 used on amazon last I checked. K550 is probably my #2 closed phone after the Yamaha. None of these closed phones is perfect. There's always a trade off. Seems that you have to trade bass for clarity and vice versa. The Pro 400 keeps this to a minimum. If you eq the bass and treble, even better. The K550 never really sounds right with bass eq'd up from what I recall. The Pro 400 responds well if I turn the bass down on tracks which have heavy drums. Boosting the treble by 2 or 3 db gives them more life when needed. I would even take the UE6000 over the Momentum. It's tonality is a little nicer and the phone is clearer despite it having the least treble energy of any phone I own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back