AKG K550 - NEW!!
Dec 26, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #797 of 1,494

Quote:
id never heard about the KRK KNS-8400 untill you'd mentioned it.

So it's the best (or along with the KRK KNS-6400) closed headphone you've come across?

I don't rate the shure 940 much at all. Far too much of a sibilant and emphasised high end and even more of an anemic low end than the k271. Anyway, it surely isolates more than the shure. Does the KRK KNS-8400
also isolate more than the k550?

Would it have the smallest and most congested soundstage of the bunch? Or the biggest and most spacious?

Due to it's design the 8400 will have a smaller soundstage, but it's actually quite good for a closed headphone. One of the best I've heard, but not as large as the D2000 or probably any $300+ headphones that are closed with huge pads.
I'm not sure if the K550 has more isolation, but probably. One thing worth pointing out is that the 8400 would give most people an impression of less bass than the SRH-940, but I think the 8400 has much more sub-bass.

I haven't decided if the 8400 is one of the best closed headphones I've come across. Definitely in the top 3 for sure. Probably, since it gets almost everything right to me. The DJ100 is my favorite, but it's not a neutral headphone and not technically as good as the 8400. It's signature isn't for everyone and it's hard to find the perfect setup with it sometimes. It has much better (and more) bass than the 8400 IMO, but it's forward mids might drive some people crazy. If I had to live with one headphone under $200 it'd probably be the DJ100. It's actually an even better deal than the 8400 and a bit more fun to listen to at times.

Dec 26, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #799 of 1,494

Quote:
I'm not sure if the K550 has more isolation, but probably.

I don't think 'cause K550 isolation is already poor. Its also one of the problem from K550, the clamping force is too weak to get a good sound coherence. K550 is really for the largest head, lol. I don't have a small head, but the K550 still swings easily.

Dec 26, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #800 of 1,494
thanks for them answers about the kns8400.

I just don't have a need for a lowly isolating headphone, so i'll pass on this one thanks.

The first thing that the k550 has to pass with me is on the isolation front. Because remember on (what seems to be) a rough law- to make a headphone isolating, you have to sacrifice on some of the sq.

Dec 27, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #803 of 1,494

Just throwing this out there, anyone thought maybe the k550 needs a longer burn in like the k701 to sound their best?

Dec 27, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #804 of 1,494

Quote:

Really?  I thought the leakage was low and the isolation was a lot better than a lot of other closed headphones I've tried.

Can you name some that isolate better that also have the sound quality the KRK has?  I'm really curious, because I am on the hunt for a neutral(ish) sounding portable that is easy to drive and isolates well (meaning, it doesn't LEAK and BLOCKS)

Dec 27, 2011 at 7:09 AM Post #805 of 1,494

Quote:
Really?  I thought the leakage was low and the isolation was a lot better than a lot of other closed headphones I've tried.

Can you name some that isolate better that also have the sound quality the KRK has?  I'm really curious, because I am on the hunt for a neutral(ish) sounding portable that is easy to drive and isolates well (meaning, it doesn't LEAK and BLOCKS)

It seems good sounding + isolating + inexpensive is a difficult combination to nail in the world of portable full-sized headphones. For instance, the Ultrasone Signature Pro, like the Edition 8, is one of the best isolating and sounding headphones I've encountered in recent memory. It's just too expensive for most people to justify though.

How about the Beyerdynamic DT 1350? Getting a proper seal on it can be difficult for some people however.

Dec 27, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #806 of 1,494

Quote:

It seems good sounding + isolating + inexpensive is a difficult combination to nail in the world of portable full-sized headphones. For instance, the Ultrasone Signature Pro, like the Edition 8, is one of the best isolating and sounding headphones I've encountered in recent memory. It's just too expensive for most people to justify though.

How about the Beyerdynamic DT 1340? Getting a proper seal on it can be difficult for some people however.

Yea, DT1350 seems like a good option, I just hate the design.  I've tried them on and I can't get over the fit.  I've always preferred circumaural...
I'm eyeing the AKG272 though.  Anyone compared the 550 to the 272 extensively?

Dec 27, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #807 of 1,494

Quote:

No. 
wink.gif

Compared to my reference (HD25-1, SRH840, K272HD, 8.35D/QP805), the 8400 do not isolate that well and leak more. But alas, even the German Quarts aren't really as good as the KRK's. Not as clear overall, but I'm liking the indestructibility of them... 

I wouldn't name any other "closed" headphones I've tried, simply because their intended purpose lies elsewhere. For the KRK's intended purpose, they do not isolate (in either direction) as well as they should (not sure if could without sacrificing something). 

By the way, the K272 is still an amazing headphone among all the fancy newcomers. Most comfortable design on a closed headphone and competes with the 8400. Bass-articulation might even be better... So do give them a try if you get a chance! They do work great out of portables, but benefit from a better source and amp, much unlike many others. 

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #808 of 1,494
electropop, you seem to be very exigent listener...
I'm not sure if you've heard the K550? How does it compare to the KRK?
Could you subjectively rank the closed headphones you've heard? (sound quality) (neutrality)

Thanks!

Dec 27, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #809 of 1,494
Uh, I'd rank the 8400 in first as the best overall performer. I don't want to make a list, since I didn't compare them all directly. Of the ones I've listed I only own the Germans, Quarts, 272's and 8400's at the moment.. I want to get rid of all I can. Some strange qualities about the 8.35's on which I can't quite put my finger. Just listened to some music with vocals (I'm starting to understand why people evaluate headphones with vocals) and when a certain woman sang note to note along a trumpet, the 8.35D couldn't grasp it, for instance. K272's would probably be second, or the GMP's, not sure. The AKG's are very easy to listen (and follow) but don't extend so well, leaving some harmonics either subdued or completely silent. Still, very good articulation across spectrum and probably the best balanced. Though again, the KRK makes many musical cues much more apparent and easier to listen (or monitor), were it bass notes, drummer's cymbals or brass timbre. Mmm.

Haven't heard the K550 yet. I'd like to. 

Dec 27, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #810 of 1,494
There is already some improvement after 50 hours of burn-in.

Usually I put every genre of music, but for the K550 I put 24 hours of non stop Daft Punk at relative high volume and I feel that 50mm drivers have been a little awake.
It was a bit like the K701, it took time and patience to move the drivers of this headphone.

I think I would give a definitive opinion after 200 hours of burn-in, as for the K701.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back