AKG K550 - NEW!!
Nov 16, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #571 of 1,494

Quote:
Must stop googling these things. A review from a French website: http://www.clubic.com/materiel-audio-hifi/casque-audio/article-455826-1-akg-k550.html

They'll sell them one day
deadhorse.gif

That's a positive ~ bit of a hack review but the reviewer states that it boasts a decent sound stage for a closed can
and that it remains a successful attempt at being all things to everyone ~ part DJ can, part symphony and pop can.

He notes that the fit can be hit and miss for small heads and that while an iPod will drive things along, the
K550 is the perfect fit on the receiving end of a portable amp.

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #572 of 1,494
Quote:
That's a positive ~ bit of a hack review but the reviewer states that it boasts a decent sound stage for a closed can
and that it remains a successful attempt at being all things to everyone ~ part DJ can, part symphony and pop can.

He notes that the fit can be hit and miss for small heads and that while an iPod will drive things along, the
K550 is the perfect fit on the receiving end of a portable amp.

Plus they're proper eye candy too!

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #573 of 1,494

Quote:
Plus they're proper eye candy too!

They should be available down here in Oz next week!

Scratch that - Christmas.

One I'm keen to audition.

Nov 16, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #575 of 1,494

These in my opinion could be the first set of cans to turn the masses onto an alternative that is :-

Better looking and more stylish than the Monster Beats range, all the while providing a better
 sonic experience for less money.

If I was at Monster right now ~ I'd be watching this K550 like a hawk, it's the first can to threaten
 it in my opinion.

Nov 16, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #576 of 1,494
what i don't get is AKG market it as "portable" but then puts a 3m long not detachable cable, just a hassle to carry all that cable around and what if it gets damaged?... not impressed

Nov 16, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #577 of 1,494

Here's a little more thought for the pudding on whether AKG have Monster in their sights :-

AKG K520

Monster Beats Solo

Nov 17, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #578 of 1,494
Here's a little more info from Headphone Bar's website:

"[size=small]Update Nov 16 - Word from AKG is the AKG K550 is a bit later than initially expected and are scheduled to arrive at the store about Nov 30. This is one of those times when a new product unfortunately experiences a wee delay on the journey from the factory to the store. While we have plenty on order, we [/size][size=small]know some customers are really interested and want to pick one up before they inevitably sel[/size][size=small]l out for Christmas."[/size]

[size=small]From [size=x-small]http://www.headphonebar.com/akg-k550/[/size][/size]

[size=small][size=x-small]I spoke with someone at Headphone Bar yesterday and they confirmed that late November is now when they're expecting these.[/size][/size]

Nov 17, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #580 of 1,494
I've been set on these for ages but over the last week the ATH-W1000X has been calling me. They're more expensive than the AKG's but a guy can't wait forever, right?

Unimpressed with AKG's communications - no official release date and they never answer anything posted on their Facebook page.

Nov 18, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #581 of 1,494

Quote:
I do not know but that price is very very good compare to the rest of the world. I'm thinking of selling my SRH-940 for those but I'm really not Shure  
wink_face.gif

Well, i'm in the opposite camp.

I'm getting peeved off with akg's awful timing with this headphone. Or should I say with 'Harmon international.' I mean it's fair to say that they might want to break down the mold of their market being strictly within the audiophile world, and so not really care about customers here on headfi.
BUT..... If they wanna compete with beats/bose, the've clearly got a Long long long way to go

I thought late october/early november would have been a date (after the initial setback) that they stuck too. But yea, looks like 'some time in 2012.' 

Anyway, I was waiting to get another closed highly isolating full size headphone, and may give the shure 940 a shot instead. Just the bumps on the headband that i'm worried about.

Officially I can't be bothered to wait anymore on this akg. 

Nov 18, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #582 of 1,494
Yeah, I agree that AKG's consumer relations leave a lot to be desired. They pretty much ignore any and all questions on their Facebook page where, incidentally, they still have a September release date for the K550 listed.

These are turning out to be "vaporware" it seems.

Nov 18, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #583 of 1,494

Quote:

Here's a little more thought for the pudding on whether AKG have Monster in their sights :-

AKG K520

Monster Beats Solo

The K450/Q460 was already that form factor. Those are smaller than the Beats. (But sound better). Not sure about the 520, but it seems to use the same bracket - so it's probably just as tiny. 

Nov 18, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #584 of 1,494
I don't see how its going to be made without a detachable cable

Nov 19, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #585 of 1,494
Quote:
Here's a little more info from Headphone Bar's website:

"[size=small]Update Nov 16 - Word from AKG is the AKG K550 is a bit later than initially expected and are scheduled to arrive at the store about Nov 30. This is one of those times when a new product unfortunately experiences a wee delay on the journey from the factory to the store. While we have plenty on order, we [/size][size=small]know some customers are really interested and want to pick one up before they inevitably sel[/size][size=small]l out for Christmas."[/size]

[size=small]From [size=x-small]http://www.headphonebar.com/akg-k550/[/size][/size]

[size=small][size=x-small]I spoke with someone at Headphone Bar yesterday and they confirmed that late November is now when they're expecting these.[/size][/size]

This is incredibly weak.

I doubt I could ever stop giving a **** about them. Love the look of them and the driver size. 
But come on AKG... Some more reviews would be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back