AKG K550 - NEW!!
Sep 22, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #481 of 1,494

Quote:
It seems like you're prioritizing clarity over everything. Having to hear every single detail whether intended or not. If everyone had that priority, probably everyone would have an AKG K702 or Beyerdynamic T1 to throw around, but they fatigue my ears. Clarity doesn't equate to a better music listener, but only that they enjoy more clarity. I'd gladly exchange the highest extension on both ends of the sound spectrum for pristine midrange, but I don't think it's much of a problem once you reach the $300 level (Monster Beats and Bose being the exception). Honestly, I don't mind Denon D7000's bass and I don't see how Denon is as one-noted bass as everyone claims. I can clearly hear the notes. I could probably assume that anyone trying to tune a bass instrument shouldn't have much trouble using a Denon D7000.

Does the ED9 really have that much distortion? The only thing I have experience with too much bass AND distortion is the Monster Beats Pros and Sony XB700/500. I've considered the L3000 but not so sure anymore.

Nope, not just clarity I'm about. Beyer T1's were not really good in this regard (pitch articulation?), even though they might measure good and seem clear. Compared to a 701, one-note bass. The 701 or something similar never fatigued my ears. Loud bass does that to me actually... Anything over the LCD-2 and I can't listen to it for long periods of time.

Perhaps tuning a bass-instrument to sufficient levels might be possible with the D7000, but put on some multi track modal jazz on and see if it's as easy to tab notes. Something even as simple as Herbie Hancock's album 'Thrust' has proven this to me. Paul Jackson is not the same with Denon's. I believe there's a lot people think they hear but even more on which they miss out. I used to think my "perfectly transparent" Adam A5 monitors gave me all the musical information I needed, but I was very wrong once I found the right reference... It's a factor that's clear as day to me, yet I can't point out which measurements indicate good performance in this area.

You're right that a headphone does not need to be expensive to be good in the area I prioritize, for instance. But an awfully expensive one does not guarantee this either. There are many exceptions both ways... One of the best all arounders was the HD800 out of a Heed Canamp fed by a Naim cdp. 

Sep 22, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #482 of 1,494
oops.

Sep 23, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #485 of 1,494
from what I'm reading in this thread so far... it sounds very similar to the new~ish K540 but closed and better looking.
I hope not as plasticy sounding as the K540, K60X, K/Q70X (haters gonna hate)

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #486 of 1,494
it doesn't sound like that from the impressions at all... the K540 bears pretty much no similiarity soundwise to the K601 or the K/Q701/2 either, it's unfair to group these together. K540 is a mass-market headphone with a huge midbass hump while the others mentioned have a very different sound, even if you like them or not.

I feel it's still too early to draw any conclusions from just one user review, but I'd say that I'm quietly optimistic about the K550 considering the price.

Sep 23, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #487 of 1,494

Quote:
it doesn't sound like that from the impressions at all... the K540 bears pretty much no similiarity soundwise to the K601 or the K/Q701/2 either, it's unfair to group these together. K540 is a mass-market headphone with a huge midbass hump while the others mentioned have a very different sound, even if you like them or not.

I feel it's still too early to draw any conclusions from just one user review, but I'd say that I'm quietly optimistic about the K550 considering the price.

I didn't say they sound similar FR-wise, but all of them tend to sound less, beware crazy talk, real compared to old AKGs like the Sextetts and K501 which both have horrid issues but sound natural. Okay, I guess anything could be tamed with a nice tube amp, but I didn't like any of the "new" AKG on a solid state amp. They, especially the K702/Q701 sound really impressive for the fist few hours (after you give them you first listen after breaking them in.) due to their soundstage and resolution, but tend to sound plastic and dull.

If the K550, which I of course haven't listened to yet, sounds different than the K540, well that's great and makes me wanna try them a lot more... but I guess I'm more into the less refined but more true to the ear headphones.

Sep 24, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #488 of 1,494
So any more reviews? 

(yes, of the AKG K550 
tongue.gif
)

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #494 of 1,494

Users who are viewing this thread

Back