AKG K550 - NEW!!
Aug 30, 2011 at 6:34 AM Post #391 of 1,494
The W5000's are a nice set of cans. My favorite of the AT family, though very uncomfortable on my head. Maybe a bit overpriced, but they're far from awful. Ultrasone Ed9 can be called awful, but not the W5000. If music is a priority, that is... 
I've not heard the W11 or the other exclusive closed ones though... Very sexy though. 

I'm of the camp that thinks that if a headphone does certain things well, it's great or even ideal for any genre. 

Sep 6, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #394 of 1,494

Quote:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-K550-Closed-Back-Reference-Headphones/dp/B005CNR7B0 'Usually dispatched within 1 to 3 months.'

faantastic. Delayed.

Need more reviews and maybe measurements... *sigh* (and for them to be available on fleebay with delivery to Australia
biggrin.gif
)

Usually dispatched 1 to 3 months
confused_face%281%29.gif

Sep 6, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #395 of 1,494
as many of you, I tried the AKG 701/702

I think I share the same opinions as many: 

- Great soundstage
- Incredible definition, transparent
- lacks bass
- really comfortable
- Awesome look

So, from the 5 points above, I think we should have a noticeable improvement in bass, but I don't think any of the other 4 points will be improved at all. In fact these new AKG 550 looks downright awful, plastic, cheap. And I seriously doubt there will be more comfortable

So far, 250 quid is too much, IMHO

Sep 6, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #396 of 1,494
Probably, but those qualities have not been improved in many similarly priced closed headphones. I think the K550 meets its competition elsewhere...

Sep 7, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #397 of 1,494

Quote:
as many of you, I tried the AKG 701/702

I think I share the same opinions as many: 

- Great soundstage
- Incredible definition, transparent
- lacks bass
- really comfortable
- Awesome look

So, from the 5 points above, I think we should have a noticeable improvement in bass, but I don't think any of the other 4 points will be improved at all. In fact these new AKG 550 looks downright awful, plastic, cheap. And I seriously doubt there will be more comfortable

So far, 250 quid is too much, IMHO

let's just wait with the judging until we've all tried a pair? I've been both seriously dissapointed after seeing photoshopped images of new cans and then holding them in my hands but also pleasantly surprised in other occasions. Also the comfort is too early to say anything at all about.

Sep 7, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #399 of 1,494
You can't judge whether a headphone is too expensive or a bargain till its been heard, the material the shell is made out of is less than irrelevant.

Re. price in the UK - UK retail prices are always high. If you can find it cheaper (including shipping) in the EU and you're in the UK - just buy it. No VAT or customs within the EU so no reason not to.

Sep 9, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #400 of 1,494
I've been looking for a pair of closed cans for months and after a shootout between the HD25-1's and the AH-D2000's I made the decision that the Sennheisers most suited my needs. Then I see these
blink.gif

I hope some reviews come out before i pull the trigger on the Sennheisers just so I can be sure. I e-mailed AKG to see when they will be released and they have sent this reply:

[size=10pt]Thank you for your e-mail that has now been passed to me.[/size]

[size=10pt]The AKG K 550 should be available from either our retailers or the AKG web shop (uk.akg.com) in early October 2011.[/size]

[size=10pt]I hope that these details help.[/size]

[size=10pt]Best regards, [/size]

I loved the comfort of the AH-D2000 but they were a bit laid back and the pads made my head too hot. These look as though they might be comfy and could just fit the bill.

Sep 12, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #402 of 1,494
it's not, their price is 299€, compared to the 399 of the 701s

Quote:
The frequency range of a phone tells us absolutely nothing about how it will sound. The range of human hearing is roughly 20-20k.

eta: It may not be their closed flasgship, but it looks like a wise assumption to me. All of their higher end phones are open or semi-open and the closed phones they have are mid-range and unsuitable for portable use. I'm sure Harman have noticed that there is a market for expensive closed efficient phones right now what with beats and bose circumaurals being worn all over the place.

Sep 12, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #403 of 1,494
I don't know where you live, but the K701 can be had for 199€ from many shops in Finland.

Sep 12, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #404 of 1,494

Quote:
it's not, their price is 299€, compared to the 399 of the 701s

First off, you're quoting me from weeks if not months ago (can't be bothered to go back and read the time stamp) - second off - what I was saying was 100% right. I was saying this would be their closed flagship, and there is no closed headphone in their range anywhere near this price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back