AKG K401 Review: Really long! time to put all questions to rest.
Sep 29, 2001 at 1:05 AM Post #17 of 59
Those were different testing conditions I believe at a different place. Anyhow as for the recessed upper-midrange...it is somewhat unique to notice how almost every can that is touted for "big" soundstage has this suckout. From a lot of the electrostatics (even the Big O but that doesn't seem to be up there anymore) to AKG1000 and other AKG's, to even the Sony 3K.

Completely coincidence?...who knows.

Sep 29, 2001 at 1:08 AM Post #18 of 59
I dunno, call me crazy, but I like it!
biggrin.gif

Sep 29, 2001 at 1:10 AM Post #19 of 59
thanks for pointing that out jaskin, I found one mistake like that and fixed it. if you see any others, please tell me.

joelongwood: you're welcome! And I sure hope you like the K501's. Maybe if you like them you'll buy the entire AKG line, just like you did with the grado line when I reccomended the SR80's to you! man, if I reccomend any more headphones, I'll have you broke yet!
biggrin.gif

Tim: I don't really know what to sayabout the impact thing. All I can tell you is that compared to my SR80's i feel the bass just as much. Especially at louder volumes! I'll compare them some more though, and see if my opinion changes.

Xander: me too! A big soundstage kicks ass!

Ai0tron: thanks man!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 29, 2001 at 1:28 AM Post #20 of 59
Pablo,
You sure know how to write a convincing review! They seem like an absolute STEAL at $120, neck and neck with the sr-80 pricewize, but leagues better.

You might have just convinced me to audition these...in a few months when I have more mOOlah, that is
smily_headphones1.gif

I bet they really shine with a good amp...will look forward to your update.

Sep 29, 2001 at 1:30 AM Post #21 of 59
heh, don't hold your breath.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm flat broke and I'll probably be staying that way for a while. So no amp for me!

Unless JMT was feeling at all generous...
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Sep 29, 2001 at 1:38 AM Post #22 of 59
No, I think I can relate with the bass now after seeing such a wide margin of difference in terms of low freqs on those headroom graphs. 5-10 dbs more bass response is no small measure at all. At such an increase, they probably do provide that extra bass impact.

I was confused because lini said he didn't notice a big difference in bass between the two. Which is pretty weird because according to the graphs and you, I'd say there is a BIG difference indeed.

I liked the 501's...but I'm still confused on why the 401's look so much like a 501 with better bass considering the pricing and model markings. Honestly I think classical music is so rarely boomy in the first place that it does betterl with all the bass extension it could get...

From things like a cheaper Beyer DT990 that possibly might be a warmer variant of the DT931, to this K401 vs K501...anyhow I like hearing about the underdogs...and start to wonder...why the hell are they underdogs if they might be better.

Sep 29, 2001 at 2:10 AM Post #23 of 59
Tim, do you know if anyone sells AKG cans near you? maybe you can find some way to try them out and decide for yourself.

Sep 29, 2001 at 2:48 AM Post #25 of 59
That's IT neruda - I give in.

My next headphone purchase - the AKG 401!

It'll have to wait till next year, tho
redface.gif

Sep 29, 2001 at 2:58 AM Post #26 of 59
I know I've said this before... but I'm pretty sure Guitar Center sgocks AKG phones. Don't they? If you have a Guitar Center near you Tim, I would go check it out to see if they have the 401's and 501's... maybe you can figure out the underdog question and let us all know so we can (maybe) spend less money in the future. It'd be... umm... community service
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 29, 2001 at 5:08 AM Post #27 of 59
Quote:

Originally posted by Xander
Look at all the comotion we caused, Neruda...
tongue.gif

LOL, I know! I haven't seen this much commotion over one headphone since the CD1700 craze back at headwize!
biggrin.gif

Coolvij, I sure hope headroom comes by your area so that you have a good chance to decide for yourself. But I have a feeling that you might draw similar conclusions about these headphones.

Sep 29, 2001 at 5:10 AM Post #28 of 59
Any Torontonians have any idea where I might be able to audition for it in TO? I'm wondering if Bay Bloor Radio has any...

Sep 29, 2001 at 2:11 PM Post #29 of 59
It seems that AKG 401 may have more apparant bass response vs
501 despite what headroom charts indicate. These charts don't tell the whole story, and actual listening is the only true test.
AKG describes 401 as >>Sonically the lowest and highest frequencies are slightly elevated to suit the lovers of popular music<<

AKG also recommends the 501 as more nuetral and better suited for classical/jazz. I have not heard these models but am almost tempted to buy a pair just because of the beautiful design, they look sweet.

Sep 29, 2001 at 5:12 PM Post #30 of 59
yeah, they sure do. Plus, they're very well made. I just wish i could have gotten the K501's leather headband!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back