AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Jul 17, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #3,091 of 4,058
There must be folks out there who travel with these guys and can give their impressions....

I've commuted with mine since 2011 with no issues. In fact, I only use mine whilst commuting. I am however travelling by train which is mostly empty. Walking the streets some noise intrudes, not enough to ruin the experience.. I've never had them fall out of my ears, which are fairly small. They do need a bit of power, so I've run them with things like an iPod/pico slim, a dx90 and a Cowon Plenue1 (current setup). Hope this helps.

Regards,

Giles

Jul 17, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #3,092 of 4,058
I've commuted with mine since 2011 with no issues. In fact, I only use mine whilst commuting. I am however travelling by train which is mostly empty. Walking the streets some noise intrudes, not enough to ruin the experience.. I've never had them fall out of my ears, which are fairly small. They do need a bit of power, so I've run them with things like an iPod/pico slim, a dx90 and a Cowon Plenue1 (current setup). Hope this helps.

Regards,

Giles

That does help. Thanks! Do you wear them with a shallow fit? Do you find that they stick out such as in the photo of the model on the previous page?

Jul 17, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #3,093 of 4,058
That does help. Thanks! Do you wear them with a shallow fit? Do you find that they stick out such as in the photo of the model on the previous page?

I wear medium tips and the k3003 sit flush with my ear - if I lie down they do not cause discomfort to the outer ear.. They have the lowest profile of my items, which include Ortofon eq7, Sony XBA3 and Noble Audio Savant. Please bear in mind that these are my ears , not anyone else's and results may vary.

Regards,
Giles

Jul 17, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #3,095 of 4,058
Can anyone point me in the direction of a comparison between the K3003 and the Shure SE846? From reading impressions of the latter I'd deduce that they lack the fine treble and airy nature of the K3003 but do offer strong bass (especially considering they are BA).

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #3,096 of 4,058
I wear medium tips and the k3003 sit flush with my ear - if I lie down they do not cause discomfort to the outer ear.. They have the lowest profile of my items, which include Ortofon eq7, Sony XBA3 and Noble Audio Savant. Please bear in mind that these are my ears , not anyone else's and results may vary.

Regards,
Giles

small comparison of K3003 with these 2 iems , please ?

I just bought a new eq7 and i am eyeing the savant (but i want someone outside the Noble fanboy klan to tell me how they sound)

thanx

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #3,097 of 4,058

I just bought a new eq7 and i am eyeing the savant (but i want someone outside the Noble fanboy klan to tell me how they sound)

thanx

Haha @ fanboy clan.

Yes, that one tickled my fancy.

Keep your eye on the Australian Savant tour, I will be brutally honest as not much of the Noble line up has blown my socks off unfortunately. Brooko is in that tour too.

Jul 17, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #3,098 of 4,058
Ok, so I want to order but just want a little more impressions regarding isolation in a city environment.  What kind of noises leak through?  Is it typically fine for the occasional car honk or is it like wearing an apple ear bud?  Do you have to put the volume on medium to high?  I'm coming from the klipsch x10i which i found to be satisfactory in outdoor environments.  Thanks in advance

Jul 17, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #3,099 of 4,058
Absolutely nothing like wearing an apple earbud. Never had any issues with isolation with the K3K. Never had any issues with deep insertion, losing a seal etc. The K3K honestly doesn't really feel as though it isolates any less than comparable barrel shaped IEMs I've used in the past. It should block out traffic noise just fine TBH. I don't find the K3K to have any fit quirks either really. I initially had some fit issues due to this little protrusion on the housing but that was quickly alleviated with dual flange tips to distance that little bump from my inner ear. I have smaller ears so I don't think your average listener will experience anything similar.

Jul 17, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #3,100 of 4,058

thanx

Not really keen on doing comparisons as I see each having value in and of itself. If I was to sum up the Noble Savant I'd say it tells you exactly what is being played and where. The K3003 tells you why. Now it is early days for the Savant so it may bloom (though I doubt it) I find it more of a forensic tool, though that may be due to its midrange focus. The k3003 is (to my ears) similar to a loud speaker in that you wallow in the sound, letting it encompass you. Both have no cable noise. I like both and which one I use depends on my mood and whether I want to analyse or immerse.

The Ortofon is a nice mid-range earphone. No major flaws, no major strengths - probably the most coherent due to just one driver, but also the most dynamically constrained and bandwidth limited for the same reason. It just does'nt play in the same field as the Noble and the AKG, though again this has a value in and of itself. And the cable noise is pretty intrusive.

Regards,

Giles

Jul 17, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #3,101 of 4,058
dunno why folks get hung up on using eq - it costs nothing and is completely reversible. mid-bass is around 50 to 100 Hz but play around and find a setting that you most like.

It's understandable; with eq, you really have to know what you're doing, otherwise you can pretty much do more harm than good. I've seen that, people ruining the sound of premium equipment. But if you are one of those who know their way around eqs, you can end up with an amazing sound.

Jul 17, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #3,102 of 4,058
adjusting eq isn't rocket science and nothing gets ruined because it can be undone. there's really nothing to get anxious about - it can actually be fun to try. why folks think that altering the sound signatures of their earphones by changing tips is acceptable but adjusting eq isn't doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Jul 17, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #3,103 of 4,058
Not really keen on doing comparisons as I see each having value in and of itself. If I was to sum up the Noble Savant I'd say it tells you exactly what is being played and where. The K3003 tells you why. Now it is early days for the Savant so it may bloom (though I doubt it) I find it more of a forensic tool, though that may be due to its midrange focus. The k3003 is (to my ears) similar to a loud speaker in that you wallow in the sound, letting it encompass you. Both have no cable noise. I like both and which one I use depends on my mood and whether I want to analyse or immerse.

The Ortofon is a nice mid-range earphone. No major flaws, no major strengths - probably the most coherent due to just one driver, but also the most dynamically constrained and bandwidth limited for the same reason. It just does'nt play in the same field as the Noble and the AKG, though again this has a value in and of itself. And the cable noise is pretty intrusive.

Regards,

Giles

thanx for the info , the bold part showed me you have a philosopher within you , i bet this works miracles with the ladies (or they label you as weird
tongue.gif
)

so Savant is the analytical one and K3 is the immersive/musical one

I guess that my 2 mid-range iems (CK10/EQ7) are poor man's savant/k3

i don't expect eq7 to compare with the 600$ savant and the 700$ K3 - it would be too good to be true , but i had to buy/try it , as it was being sold new for just 150$

thanx again for taking the time to write down these thoughts of yours

Jul 18, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #3,104 of 4,058
Absolutely nothing like wearing an apple earbud. Never had any issues with isolation with the K3K. Never had any issues with deep insertion, losing a seal etc. The K3K honestly doesn't really feel as though it isolates any less than comparable barrel shaped IEMs I've used in the past. It should block out traffic noise just fine TBH. I don't find the K3K to have any fit quirks either really. I initially had some fit issues due to this little protrusion on the housing but that was quickly alleviated with dual flange tips to distance that little bump from my inner ear. I have smaller ears so I don't think your average listener will experience anything similar.

the only way you could insert the k3003 deep into the ear would be to use tips other than the stock tips provided or if you have enormous ear canals. it's a shallow fit design which is meant to be worn cable down and it won't give the level of noise attenuation and secure fit that you'd get from say a shure or westone design.

Jul 18, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #3,105 of 4,058
the only way you could insert the k3003 deep into the ear would be to use tips other than the stock tips provided or if you have enormous ear canals. the k3003 don't give the level of noise attenuation and secure fit that you'd get from say a shure or westone design.

Good catch. I should probably note that I used dual flange tips then. Easy workaround for a couple of Americanos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back