AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Jan 1, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #166 of 4,058

Quote:
Exactly because of the current need, is why output impedance is important and why it's very low on high end portable amps.

Low impedance IEMs will sound at their best with low OI sources, its been well proven. 

Maybe. But without enough current, it won't be at its best. Even with my iPod Nano 3G (which has excellent low output impedance as most other Apple's product) and Clip+, they are still unable to pump enough current for my Sonocore Cindy (~5.3ohm). While Cindy still sounds fine without an amp, it is certainly much less controlled (as compared to an amp with low output impedance but capable of higher output current).

Jan 1, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #168 of 4,058
Let me try and be a little clearer.

Even with a near zero output impedance, an amp circuit's distortion will rise as load impedance decreases.  Its a separate issue from the output impedance.  Some amps are better than others in this regard so while a low output impedance is certainly critical to performance it isn't enough by itself.

Jan 3, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #170 of 4,058
Purchased a pair of K3003s today.

Got the mic/remote version as they didn't have the non-remote version I was originally looking for. However, so far no regrets whatsoever as the mic/remote is lighter and less bulky than I thought and it happens to work perfectly with my Touch.

I wasn't going to post anything tonight just yet, but after 4 hrs, and literally being unable to stop listening and go to bed (very late in Europe), I can easily and confidently say the K3003 is the best IEM (custom or otherwise) I've heard to date. These are the most balanced & engaging IEMs I've ever heard. Although I have a pair of customs already (the ES3X), it seems that unlike most people here on HF (or at least most of the people who've posted on this thread), at this stage I prefer to have an excellent sounding universal IEM than another excellent sounding custom set, specially when said universal is so comfortable and offers VERY decent isolation. I would have preferred a removable cable but, as noted by another HF'er, the whole design of the IEM would've most likely been compromised. At least in Europe you get a two-year warranty.

The K3003s are some of the most comfortable phones I've tried - no fiddling with tips, just pop them in, press play, and that's it, impressive sound and performance. Turns out I prefer to wear them with the cable down (more practical, in my view) but they can also be worn with the cable over the ear with no discernible changes in comfort level. The medium size sleeves are the ones that work best for me, and the 'reference' filter is (by far) the best sounding to these ears. As someone else mentioned, all types of music sound superb with these phones.

I won't go further into describing in more detail the sonic qualities of the K3003 at this stage as I need to do more critical listening, but this review (originally linked by james444 over 2 months ago) pretty much mirrors almost word for word what I've been hearing in the last 4 hrs.

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #171 of 4,058
Quote:
Purchased a pair of K3003s today.

I can easily and confidently say the K3003 is the best IEM (custom or otherwise) I've heard to date. These are the most balanced & engaging IEMs I've ever heard. Although I have a pair of customs already (the ES3X), it seems that unlike most people here on HF (or at least most of the people who've posted on this thread), at this stage I prefer to have an excellent sounding universal IEM than another excellent sounding custom set, specially when said universal is so comfortable and offers VERY decent isolation..

So the K3003 has nudged aside the ES3X as your favourite IEM! I know it's early hours and I will await your further impressions but that is very impressive.

I go to Hong Kong next week and I am going to try these.

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #172 of 4,058
Quote:
Purchased a pair of K3003s today...

Wow, I wasn't expecting anything like that. Great news, music_4321!

If it weren't for FedEx screwing up, I would have got mine the exact same day. Hope I'll be able to join you soon...
smile_phones.gif

Jan 3, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #173 of 4,058
Jan 3, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #174 of 4,058
The Touch will definitely will mess with the response since its OI is 7 ohms. That's 7 times more than the suggested 1 ohm minimum for 8ohm IEMs. I think in this case even the cheap E6 can help.

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #175 of 4,058
Anyone finding the sealing and the comfort to be terrible?

I can't seem to find a perfect fit inside my ear canals, and can't get enough isolation from external noises :frowning2:

any suggestion for replacement ear tips? Already tried sony hybrid, but it made the sound signature to be brighter and narrows down the soundstage

Jan 3, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #176 of 4,058

Quote:

If it weren't for FedEx screwing up, I would have got mine the exact same day. Hope I'll be able to join you soon...
smile_phones.gif

Wow.. I cannot wait for yours and music_1234's A/B between the K3003 and EX1000 
wink.gif

Jan 3, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #178 of 4,058

Quote:
So the K3003 has nudged aside the ES3X as your favourite IEM! I know it's early hours and I will await your further impressions but that is very impressive.

I go to Hong Kong next week and I am going to try these.

Like I said, no doubt that to these ears the K3003 is the best phone I've heard to date (after now having spent a total of roughly 6 hrs with the K3003s in a quiet environment). That said, I still consider the ES3X & EX1000 to be great sounding IEMs and the next best two I've heard - I consider both ES3X & EX1000 equally good, though VERY different, sounding IEMs which happen to compliment one another brilliantly.

Quote:

smile_phones.gif

Let's hope you end up paying at least a little less than I did after taking into account the fact you'll very likely have to face import duty/taxes.  :wink:  But (much) more importantly, I hope you get a good fit with the stock tips and get to hear the pretty impressive SQ these IEMs deliver - quite stunning, really.

Jan 3, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #179 of 4,058
I know you've listed them for sale, my friend, but is there any chance you can form a comparison between the EX1000 and K3003, if/when time permits?

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #180 of 4,058
Quote:
Anyone finding the sealing and the comfort to be terrible?

I can't seem to find a perfect fit inside my ear canals, and can't get enough isolation from external noises :frowning2:

any suggestion for replacement ear tips? Already tried sony hybrid, but it made the sound signature to be brighter and narrows down the soundstage

Ultimate Ears silicon tips (for the TF10/SF5 Pro) work great for me.

Quote:
Wow.. I cannot wait for yours and music_1234's A/B between the K3003 and EX1000 
wink.gif

I'm afraid my Ex1000 are still on their loan tour somewhere in the US and Canada.

Quote:
Like I said, no doubt that to these ears the K3003 is the best phone I've heard to date (after now having spent a total of roughly 6 hrs with the K3003s in a quiet environment). That said, I still consider the ES3X & EX1000 to be great sounding IEMs and the next best two I've heard - I consider both ES3X & EX1000 equally good, though VERY different, sounding IEMs which happen to compliment one another brilliantly.

Let's hope you end up paying at least a little less than I did after taking into account the fact you'll very likely have to face import duty/taxes.  :wink:  But (much) more importantly, I hope you get a good fit with the stock tips and get to hear the pretty impressive SQ these IEMs deliver - quite stunning, really.

Tbo, when I decide to go for something in that price range, I don't mind paying a little more or less, since the price is blown out of proportion anyway. The main reason why I bought from Singapore was that no one had a clue about the non-remote version here in the EU.

I absolutely wanted the plain version, not only because I have no use for remote control, but also because I consider these phones as much a work of art as an audio tool. The remote just takes away from their otherwise extremely clean design imo. ymmv.

That said, I got them yesterday, but only had time for a very short audition in the evening. I'm off to work now and will post some first impressions later today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back