AKG K270S
Jan 25, 2006 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

aznsensazian

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys and gals, does anyone have any information on these and how they sound? I find them quite interesting as they are a two driver each cup design kinda like my k340s. I also heard that they used to be the pro studio standard and are in high regard. Ive read some websites giving them good reviews as well. Anybody here heard them and if yes, how would you compare them to your other phones? thanks

here are some pictures

k270s15dh.jpg

k270s38ne.jpg

Jan 25, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 14
I dont want to threadcrap... so let me know if I am doing so and I will edit.

Anyone have the K280... looks identical to the 270s? How well does the K270s and K280 stack up with the mighty K340?

thanks,
Garrett

Jan 25, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I dont want to threadcrap... so let me know if I am doing so and I will edit.

Anyone have the K280... looks identical to the 270s? How well does the K270s and K280 stack up with the mighty K340?

thanks,
Garrett

Its cool Garrett, i think the akg k280s is an older design compare to the k270s, but they probably have same drivers. I actually bought a pair of these(k270s) relatively cheap on ebay compared to the msrp of $350, so im kinda thrilled. I just hope they mate well with my k340s.

Jan 26, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #4 of 14
I love mine! Way underrated, imo. I blame Headroom's review from years ago (and my lack of writing a counter argument
wink.gif
). Anyway, I've yet to hear any of the objectionable things they did *shrug*.

Classic AKG house sound - awesome midrange, tight (if not too-far extended) bass, delicate highs (if a bit rolled-off on this model). Does not colour the recording - what's in there is what you get. Does a terrific job with percussive attack & decay - among the best I've heard from any headphone. Grand piano's & snare drums sound truly lifelike. Female vocals 2-die-4. Very cohesive sound. The two drivers in each earpiece work in perfect concert, and are not apparent at all.

Give them a good recording/source, & you will be rewarded. Conversely, feed it crap, and that's probably what you'll hear back (as with any good can). Also easily one of the most comfortable headphones ever. Play around a bit with positioning on your head, as it will yield subtle, but very real positive results in the sound.

For their current price on eBay for NOS, they're a steal, imo. A total sleeper closed can. I'm curious if a re-cable would do anything positive to it, but I'm enjoying mine too much to give them up, atm. I'm curious to A-B them against the current K271's, which I've heard before, but not simultaneously. FWIW, from memory I like the older model, but I'm still curious. Especially with the easy re-cable option on the 271's.

Jan 26, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #5 of 14
I've been wanting to try the K280 Parabolics for a while as there was a guy on here a while back that just loved them... the K270's don't get too much love around here, though that headroom review is mostly to blame. I'd love to try both some day. The K4's too.
340smile.gif

Jan 26, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #6 of 14
yes, I find that really strange as well. Heard quite a few extremely negative impressions of these, yet I find it hard to believe that akg is capable of screwing up like that. Any idea why they've gotten such a bad rap? I'm much more inclinded to believe what jpelg said, not cause I'm super biased but it simply makes more sense.

they look really cool. would love to have a chance to try them. Would be just as interested in a comparison with the 271S.

Jan 26, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #7 of 14
Thanks for the replies guys, i read about the headroom bash of the headphone, but this could be due to not giving the headphone any burnin. Ive read that joelongwood gave these a good burnin and raved heavily about them. Upon initial impressions, he said they sound like crap. Im getting a brand new pair and ill let you guys know what i think of them with and without burnin. Jpelg, have you listened to the akg k340 before? If you have, can you kindly compare the two for us? I kinda wanna know what im getting myself into when i get the headphone. I love my k340s and they stayed with me longer than any other headphone, so i hope the k270s can do the same as well. *knock on wood*
340smile.gif

Jan 26, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #8 of 14
I've owned a couple of pairs of K340's in the past, both stock. Very nice can, one of my all-time favs. I didn't have the K270's at the time, so I can't give a direct comparo. But from memory, I'd say the K340 has a bit more bass. The K270 is more neutral sounding. Percussive attack is better on the K270, I'd say also. You'll know what I mean when you hear them yourself.

The K270 is definitely much easier to drive, and is physically lighter & more comfortable.

Jan 26, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #9 of 14
thanks for the impressions and comparisons jpelg, its good to know that the k270s are neutral cans. That is actually what i am looking for to complement my fast paced, dynamic k340s. Im also a little relieved because of the review at headroom almost made me not get these, but after some more research here from your review and joelongwood's, i was less hesistant to buy them. As long as the k270s provide me with neutral, clean studio/monitor type sound for my intended recording mixes, i will be a happy camper!
icon10.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 6:55 AM Post #10 of 14
I just recieved my k270s today and right out of the box, they sounded crapty.
mad.gif
The first hour of listening was unbearable. It sounded congested, and instruments were just thrown in the music without any sense of placement or direction. It was like listening to a band that was out of sync. However, i left the k270s burning in for 10 hours now with heavy bass driven music and i am pleasantly surprised by the change. JoeLongWood was correct with his observations about the phone. After the 10 hour burnin, i noticed that the music was starting to come together. Now it sounds more balanced and passages flow freely without colliding into each other. I can recognize instrument placement better now. Its pretty amazing.
icon10.gif
Before upon initial impression, i thought that it sounded quite thin with tight bass, but it didnt fill out the spectrum. Highs were a little harsh and the mids didnt sound like classic akg at all. But after the burnin, the bass was still a little light, but was more balanced with the spectrum now and highs are no longer strident. Im starting to hear that vintage house sound from the mids.

Im continuing to let it burnin to spot anymore differences, but from what i heard before in differences was like from night to day. I really could not believe my ears that it made this much difference from a small burnin. I wonder now how it would sound with 200 hours of burnin. hmmmm.....
So far, i am liking what i am hearing and surprising they are starting to sound similar to my akg k340s. More comparisons and reviews to come. Im going to let this bad boy burnin until it cant burn in any more
icon10.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 7:56 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznsensazian
Im continuing to let it burnin to spot anymore differences, but from what i heard before in differences was like from night to day. I really could not believe my ears that it made this much difference from a small burnin. I wonder now how it would sound with 200 hours of burnin. hmmmm.....
So far, i am liking what i am hearing and surprising they are starting to sound similar to my akg k340s. More comparisons and reviews to come. Im going to let this bad boy burnin until it cant burn in any more
icon10.gif

It's crazy, but my pair of K271S is still showing changes long after I figured it should stop changing.. I mean I figured after maybe the first 20 hours or so.. or perhaps 50, the law of diminishing returns takes over hardcore... but nope.. well past 100, maybe 200... and it's still improving. Wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens with the 270S. My pair's starting so sound more and more like the 240DF that I remember now..

Feb 2, 2006 at 9:28 AM Post #12 of 14
I'm always impressed by AKG's engineering on some of their older headphones. Especially with the K340's there is some cool stuff going on inside the driver cups.

...and t s ...is K270

Feb 2, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznsensazian
I just recieved my k270s today and right out of the box, they sounded crapty.
mad.gif
The first hour of listening was unbearable. It sounded congested, and instruments were just thrown in the music without any sense of placement or direction. It was like listening to a band that was out of sync. However, i left the k270s burning in for 10 hours now with heavy bass driven music and i am pleasantly surprised by the change. JoeLongWood was correct with his observations about the phone. After the 10 hour burnin, i noticed that the music was starting to come together. Now it sounds more balanced and passages flow freely without colliding into each other. I can recognize instrument placement better now. Its pretty amazing.
icon10.gif
Before upon initial impression, i thought that it sounded quite thin with tight bass, but it didnt fill out the spectrum. Highs were a little harsh and the mids didnt sound like classic akg at all. But after the burnin, the bass was still a little light, but was more balanced with the spectrum now and highs are no longer strident. Im starting to hear that vintage house sound from the mids.

icon10.gif

thanks!! Looking forward to your impressions and follow-up posts. What I'd really like is an open sounding can thats closed. Ive tried the V6, DT770 and HD280 and didnt care for them.

Garrett

Garrett

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #14 of 14
I just bought a pair of these on ebay for 165usd this morning, they looked in the pictures to be in great condition. Im curious to how these sound. I have been searching for these headphones for ages. I first saw them when I was a kid in a Mars music store. Wanted them sooooo bad, the twin speakers in each ear was what I wanted. I didnt know about AKG then, nor much about high end headphones. Then it was WHOOOAAA! 4 speakers!!! but sadly, being a kid, and broke.....and a firm ARE YOU screwing nuts NO! from my parents lolol I never got them, and never found them again. Tho reading about them, I wouldnt've liked nor appreciated them at that age. Then I was all about hey! I want 15 inch 1000 watt subs mounted to my ears, DETACH MY RETINAS!!

Im eager to get these in, and not only giggle get a pair of headphones I wanted as a kid, but to hear how they sound. Tho any quirks to them? Im not modding these no f-ing way.....prolly couldnt fine a second pair for me to mod one anyway, sooooooo modding on these is a big no no. but and care tips, weak points(breakage), and earpad replacement ideas should the earpads crap out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back