AKG "K267 TIËSTO" - Discussion, Impressions & Review Thread
Oct 19, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #1,096 of 1,152

They're not basshead cans at all and the bass is not as emphasized as the m50x. They're quite balanced sounding overall with a bit of emphasis down low when set to stage mode. Amping them does give the bass a bit more kick compared to pluggin them straight into a mobile device. The mids probably standout the most, very smooth and natural sounding, perhaps a touch forward. Upper mids and treble is smoothed off somewhat making them very easy to listen to with no harshness or sibilance. Overall very good for fatigue free, musical enjoyment, if you've heard the akg k550 or similar then these have a similar sound. The only possible downside is comfort as the pads are a little shallow so it can be quite a snug fit for bigger ears.

Just wanted to give a shoutout to chailee80 for his paragraph here. After spending some time with the 267's and re-reading this, I can't imagine I'd disagree with anything written here. Pretty much spot on as far as I'm concerned. They're a pretty nice change from my 598's which were often a little harsh in the treble. I was also pleasantly surprised to notice the 267's don't roll off when bass intensity is jumped up 10dB, whereas the 598's were (unsurprisingly, I suppose) rolling off at maybe 6. Wish these cans were a little less leaky, but they are otherwise not bad for the Massdrop price. Hopefully the durability is not a huge concern in the future. 

Oct 19, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #1,097 of 1,152
Just wanted to give a shoutout to chailee80 for his paragraph here. After spending some time with the 267's and re-reading this, I can't imagine I'd disagree with anything written here. Pretty much spot on as far as I'm concerned. They're a pretty nice change from my 598's which were often a little harsh in the treble. I was also pleasantly surprised to notice the 267's don't roll off when bass intensity is jumped up 10dB, whereas the 598's were (unsurprisingly, I suppose) rolling off at maybe 6. Wish these cans were a little less leaky, but they are otherwise not bad for the Massdrop price. Hopefully the durability is not a huge concern in the future. 

Yeh I was a bit surprised how poor the isolation is for a dj orientated headphone. I can't imagine they'd be any good for an actual live performance especially if you compare them with something like the sennheiser hd7.
The durability of the internal hinge parts always comes to mind when I go to put them on but I guess only time will tell if it's a valid concern.

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #1,098 of 1,152
For anyone looking for velour pads for these headphones, the Brainwavz HM5 velour pads almost work. They aren't round, but it only takes a little pressure to make them conform to a round shape. Once in a round shape they seem like the right diameter. The problem is the flap that grabs the plastic edge on the headphone. That flap is too wide for the shallow engagement on the K267s. I'm tempted to cut that material back because they seem comfortable otherwise. Has anyone tried this?

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #1,099 of 1,152
I have been listening to these (saw them for 129 and couldn't pass up the offer) for about a week now, quite impressed with what they offer.  The bass boost is quite subtle for the majority of music I listen to (and the colder source I'm using), though it's nice to have and works well, especially when I'm out and about.  Sound-wise, they definitely are as good as the other headphones that would be in its price range (~300), but the build (the hinge) still does concern me a bit.  

Oct 27, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #1,100 of 1,152
Mine's finally arrived, the quality issues still concern me since I'm gonna use them on the go but the sound is great. Will post impressions after a few listens.

Oct 28, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #1,101 of 1,152
For anyone looking for velour pads for these headphones, the Brainwavz HM5 velour pads almost work. They aren't round, but it only takes a little pressure to make them conform to a round shape. Once in a round shape they seem like the right diameter. The problem is the flap that grabs the plastic edge on the headphone. That flap is too wide for the shallow engagement on the K267s. I'm tempted to cut that material back because they seem comfortable otherwise. Has anyone tried this?

why? I put leather HM5 pads on and they are a little oval, they hold on just fine and the headphone is really comfortable, why does it have to be completely round?

I dunno maybe just because you think it looks better, but I see no reason to modify my pads, my ears finally have some room!

Oct 28, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #1,102 of 1,152
How did you get them on?  The Velour HM5 pads have a very wide flap to grab onto the headphone.  That's the only reason I couldn't get them on.  They don't need to be round.  I think they will take on the round shape of the K267, though.

Oct 28, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #1,103 of 1,152
I hooked them on the small cutout, which is meant for this purpose I believe and just twisted them on. I don't have the whole material inside the "engagement", which means there is a bit of free flap material, which also makes them not conform completely to the headphone. If I'd get it all in (or cut the flap material like you suggest) they would conform to the headphone and become round. However I think they are fine like this and I'm just using them. Simple, quick and comfy.

Oct 28, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #1,104 of 1,152
I guess they do go on!  
eek.gif
  It felt like I was going to tear something or break something trying to get the velours on that way.

Dec 28, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #1,106 of 1,152
I sold my pair in the 7k serial number range a while back to free funds for other cans (it had the hump) I missed the sound signature and re-purchased a new pair. It is in the 10k S/N range and also has the hump, although it appears much more subtle now, for whatever reason.

Anyway I have this really poor right ear pad on it, somehow the leather is all shrivled up like wet skin and the stiching is also really poor along the edges.

The photo really doesnt do it justice, hope you can spot it. You guys think this is a legitimate reason to complain to the dealer? Or should I just buy additional ear pads.

Dec 29, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #1,107 of 1,152
I think you should try and see if you can get a new pair. Who knows they pleather may start flaking early or something. Side note, had these up for sale as soon as I received them (never opened), didnt sell within a week so I decided to open them a few minutes ago............ Most underrated headphones ever. Taking these of classified now!!

Dec 29, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #1,108 of 1,152
Yeh if you're unhapy take them back and see if they'll exchange them. If you cant get them exchanged then just use them and see how it goes, i believe they have a 2 year warranty on them so if the dodgy pad falls apart you should be able to get a replacement pair for free.

Dec 29, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #1,109 of 1,152
  Side note, had these up for sale as soon as I received them (never opened), didnt sell within a week so I decided to open them a few minutes ago............ Most underrated headphones ever. Taking these of classified now!!

hehe :D Yah they are super fun and engaging while remaining quite a bit more neutral than other DJ sets like the V-MODA M100 and the Sennheiser HD7/HD8. Only the HD25 Aluminium delivers similar performance, but is on ear and the K267 has better soundstage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back