AKG "K267 TIËSTO" - Discussion, Impressions & Review Thread
Jan 27, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #781 of 1,152
Quote:
Well, my K267's have seen roughly about 100hrs of burn-in now at least, including a nice bass workout last night blasting non-stop DJ Billy E (if you haven't heard his stuff through a bassy headphone, do so now -- total brain massage 
basshead.gif
). And... not much more change from the last time I checked. The bass is clearer and a lot more controlled than it was originally, but everything else is still pretty much the same from the ~40hr burn-in mark.

These are pretty good headphones, and if I haven't put on any other headphones first thing in the morning, I do genuinely like them for a while. Like I said, they kinda remind me of my HD600's (which I love). Unfortunately the bass extension and imaging are still deal-breakers for me. Let's also not forget that I got these for $350 (that's more than I paid for my HD600's!). I know there's a lot of people defending them, and maybe they got them for a better price, or they're just going off on the sound of the K167's because they supposedly sound so similar, but I think the pricing here is a major factor of why they seem to be 'meh'. If the K167's really sound that close to the K267's, considering that they are less than half the price of the K267, then that is a legitimately good deal on a great pair of headphones!  Otherwise, let's not dismiss the fact that the K267's are still generally priced higher than a lot of their competition here (namely, the controversial M100's).

Anyways, I'm about to pull the trigger on some M100's. So I could have a comparison between them and all my other cans (including the K267) later this week if anybody's still interested (given that my comments seem to be getting ignored for being too critical 
rolleyes.gif
).

Good choice.  I am also now reading good things about the Yamaha PRO 500.

Jan 27, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #782 of 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by oblique63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Anyways, I'm about to pull the trigger on some M100's. So I could have a comparison between them and all my other cans (including the K267) later this week if anybody's still interested (given that my comments seem to be getting ignored for being too critical 
rolleyes.gif
).

I won't ignore your comments at all. I like how you did not show any form of bias when reviewing the K267's. I believe you've nailed both the goods and bads on the K267. I'd expect you'll do the same on the M-100 and K267 comparison.

Well, what are you waiting for?! Go and milk that wallet!

Jan 27, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #783 of 1,152
Quote:
Let's also not forget that I got these for $350 (that's more than I paid for my HD600's!). I know there's a lot of people defending them, and maybe they got them for a better price, or they're just going off on the sound of the K167's because they supposedly sound so similar, but I think the pricing here is a major factor of why they seem to be 'meh'. 

I think we are agreeing on this one quite a bit. They don't sound bad, really but for the price I don't see the value. (and I got em for $265!!) I've entertained keeping them as my "I-don't-care-what-happens-to-them" set but that is what the beats are for. Yes, they are better than beats pro, and actually, I went to Best Buy yesterday with them in hand to recompare to the K550s and they sound more similar than I thought... just the 267s had more bass and the 550s had more detail and separation and were more comfy being around ear. Then I walked out with a brand new MBPro 15" retina...

Oh my pocketbook is smoking, but HELL it sure is fun buying new toys!  :wink:

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #784 of 1,152
I may have missed this earlier in the thread, but has anyone compared the Tiesto line to the K181?  Looking at pricing of the K181 at $130, I am wondering what the Tiesto brings to the table sonically that the K167 or K267 doesn't.  I actually think I prefer the looks of the K181.

The 181 is a much more exciting headphone to me. It doesn't get much love because it is marketed as a dj can. Also having bass boost doesn't help anyone take it seriously. Craigster, you are probably the first person I've heard/read say you like the way the 181 looks. The 181 is a lot of fun, and I was hoping the 267 would at least have some resemblance in sound. But the consensus is that the 267 is anything but. It sounds like at this point the buyers and owners are just trying to justify that waiting an extra 4-5 months and spending 300-350 wasn't a bad decision and waste of hope. From what I've also been observing in the forums, the 267 isn't a big step from the 167s. This is such an anti-climactic ending to what was being built up as the second coming of the headphone, well at least for now.

Jan 28, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #786 of 1,152
I don't follow. Not because I really like mine, but I don't understand the "too clean" and "5th grader singing"

I don't put those 2 together normally.

My only complaint with the 167, for me, is the highs border being too high. They just make it under where I wouldn't want them to be to be too high.

I love their bass. Its tight and punchy and with my e11, I don't miss what I thought I was upon my initial listens with the 167. The detail is fantastic. There isn't anything there that you miss in the recording.

When I hear a child (167) sing, the sound that comes to mind is a someone trying to pronounce/replicate the words, notes and sounds as cleanly as possible. Also not having hit puberty, there is no evidence of dynamics, bass, punch whatsoever. I was hoping the 267 would at least be the post-puberty version of the 167. From the looks of it, the 267 seems like a twilight lovin tween stuck in a weird tight jeans, voice crackling, pimple growing phase. Not quite as distinct a jump in sound as we were all hoping for. Just a grew in inch taller, and maybe the growth of a couple pubic hairs.

Jan 28, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #787 of 1,152
I hope you're not trying to claim that this line of cans has no bass, because you'd be dead wrong, IMO.

Also, I see you've taken your analogy from nonsensical to creepily off-color. 
blink.gif

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #788 of 1,152
Quote:
The 181 is a much more exciting headphone to me. It doesn't get much love because it is marketed as a dj can. Also having bass boost doesn't help anyone take it seriously. Craigster, you are probably the first person I've heard/read say you like the way the 181 looks. The 181 is a lot of fun, and I was hoping the 267 would at least have some resemblance in sound. But the consensus is that the 267 is anything but. It sounds like at this point the buyers and owners are just trying to justify that waiting an extra 4-5 months and spending 300-350 wasn't a bad decision and waste of hope. From what I've also been observing in the forums, the 267 isn't a big step from the 167s. This is such an anti-climactic ending to what was being built up as the second coming of the headphone, well at least for now.

Interesting feedback on the K181.  It sounds like they have great bass.  How do the mids and highs compare to the Tiestos?  Also, I would be concerned about the comfort of the K181 pads.

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #789 of 1,152
No comfort issues with the 181s. I used to have them. Loved them, especially for their price. They are on ears thought, not over ears.

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #791 of 1,152
The bass on the 167s was there, just not in the way I pictured it being. Both in quantity and in quality. The 181s are probably the best bang for buck "dj" headphones you can get. Loud spl, great sound in all frequencies, not to fatiguing. They are less expensive than most other dj headphones as well. I've used pioneer 1000s, sennheiser hd25s, and various other popular models. I've heard complaints with the headband, but I think it is dependent on the size of each individuals noggin. Compared to the 167s, the 181s seem like a lighter/calorie free version. I've broken the 181s over a long period of time too, it may have something to do with the sound.

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #792 of 1,152
Quote:
The bass on the 167s was there, just not in the way I pictured it being. Both in quantity and in quality. The 181s are probably the best bang for buck "dj" headphones you can get. Loud spl, great sound in all frequencies, not to fatiguing. They are less expensive than most other dj headphones as well. I've used pioneer 1000s, sennheiser hd25s, and various other popular models. I've heard complaints with the headband, but I think it is dependent on the size of each individuals noggin. Compared to the 167s, the 181s seem like a lighter/calorie free version. I've broken the 181s over a long period of time too, it may have something to do with the sound.

Nice. for $98 on Amazon, I might have to try them.

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #793 of 1,152
I hope you're not trying to claim that this line of cans has no bass, because you'd be dead wrong, IMO.

Also, I see you've taken your analogy from nonsensical to creepily off-color. 
blink.gif

167 has bass, just not anything outstanding in my opinion. The option may be off-color, but its true. The 267 has just started to get released to the general public, so maybe give it a few months or so for people to give thier reviews.

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #794 of 1,152
So the 167's do not have outstanding bass and I suppose the 181's do?  It's really sad that a couple of people come in here and say something negative and people are all over it.  Why do you guys just look for the negatives?  I really don't understand it.  It won't matter what kind of comparisons I give because if I give any sort of praise, it will be ignored.  Guess what, I don't need to justify my purchases because I have plenty of other headphones.  I have a great curiosity for sound and buy to find out for myself.  I don't think AKG tuned these to be outdone by the K181 DJ.  Get real people.  Miow isn't even on here people and this thread has gotten ridiculous.  Unsubscribed.  

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #795 of 1,152
Great, thanks.  Just to play devil's advocate, if you loved them, why did you get rid of them?  Any negatives?

I wanted to get away from on ears altogether. I also had the k81DJ that I really liked too. But the corf length and on ear aspect of the cans where why I went looking again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back