AKG K240DF quick first impressions... Now with pics!
Oct 27, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #17 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I have told you about a solution for the sibilance problem
smily_headphones1.gif

Interesting read though, it would seem the DF's don't benefit much from a better cable then.

Sorry, I forgot...was it velour pads that solved the sibilance problem? I'll have to search for that thread where we discussed them previously. I think with my re-cabled version the mogami cable and neutrik plug have actually added too much highs. The original version has a more realistic amount of treble, IMO....you still hear plenty, it's not rolled off by any means, but it's not over the top either. I hope to figure out how to get a better fit/seal with my back up set. I think then they will sound great.

Oct 27, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #18 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by lejaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, I forgot...was it velour pads that solved the sibilance problem? I'll have to search for that thread where we discussed them previously. I think with my re-cabled version the mogami cable and neutrik plug have actually added too much highs. The original version has a more realistic amount of treble, IMO....you still hear plenty, it's not rolled off by any means, but it's not over the top either. I hope to figure out how to get a better fit/seal with my back up set. I think then they will sound great.

Yes, velour pads, and new foam screening if needed, you can try using the screens from your K240s and see if they do anything good.
If you get the velour pads you can always use the pleather pads for your other pair of DF's.
This will also add a bit of bass.
I can produce music exclusively on my DF's and it will sound good on all the speakers I have heard my music on, I don't need to use my floor speakers anymore.
I don't think my DF's lack bass anymore, this might be because I almost only listen to music on my DF's though.
So some if this might be psychological, and some of it has to be due to my DAC/AMP is now fully burnt in.
My DF's can be bassy if the music is bassy.

Oct 28, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #19 of 149
Thanks...i found the thread. My recabled set has thicker foam than the other set and yet, more treble; so I think I will try the velour pads first. I hope to get a bit more bass out of them with the pad switch as well as killing the sibilance. I hear plenty of bass when it's there on the recording(like the new remastered Abby Road), but certain tunes are lacking in the low end with the DF and sound much better(and more they way the producer/artist intended, IMO) with my other headphones. Tunes like "More Than a Woman" and "Night Fever" by the Bee Gees sound better with other hps....and the DF is definitely not made for kanye West either.

Oct 28, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #20 of 149
We have very different tastes in music, I hardly ever listen to anything but electronic music.
But I do listen to some David Bowie, and well, his old songs tend to sound thin and sometimes sibilant, I think it's because you have to hear old music on vinyl, not CD.
But what sounds thin on my DF's also sound thin on my floor speakers and they have slooooow deep bottomless bass, they go all the way down to 15 Hz.
When I listen to some of the old J. M. Jarre from the late 70's there are no sound quality problems, except when he uses choirs, they are sibilant as hell, this even true for Jarre songs up until the early 90's.
This smells of poor microphone technology or that music made for vinyl is not suited for digital media.

Oct 28, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #21 of 149
I hardly ever listen to hip hop... I just used that as an example of something the DF doesn't handle at all well, IMO. The new remastered Abby Road has tons of bass with the DF. I was very surprised. I can't imagine wanting to hear more low end on that CD. When I listen to old classic jazz I'm not usually focusing on the bass, but more interested in vocals...horns...piano, etc. so the DF is perfect....but, I'm not a bass head by any means. As far as sibilance goes, I hear quite a bit on some of my older Beatles and Simon and Garfunkle CD's. As you wrote, those were made for vinyl...some of the early Simon and Garfunkle stuff is really sibilant with the re-cabled DF's...haven't tried the other set yet. I'd love to hear the 501's or 701's to compare them to the DF.

Oct 28, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #22 of 149
hmmm....makes me want to try the DF's with velour pads. the velours bring warmth and bass to the sextetts and to the k271, i imagine they'd do teh same for the DF's. The K271 with velours is a really underrated headphone. very balanced.

Oct 28, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #24 of 149
I just finished a head to head with a friend who has (and loves) a pair of 25 year old AKG 240's (I'll have to look what version, but it says 4-600ohm on the side. The 240 did two things that the HD650's didn't, it made acoustic instruments sound real, and brought out so much micro detail effortlessly that the HD650 didn't convey without struggling to hear it. Although I still love the sound of the 650's over his 240's it makes me wonder if there is something that combines the best traits of the two?? Does the HD800 bring that last bit of resolution that the 650 is missing along with a true sense of an instruments sound, or is there an AKG that brings more to the table than the 240?? I own the K601's and they are a step in the right direction but are still lacking some of the fundemental strengths of the 240's

Oct 28, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #26 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by rwaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just finished a head to head with a friend who has (and loves) a pair of 25 year old AKG 240's (I'll have to look what version, but it says 4-600ohm on the side. The 240 did two things that the HD650's didn't, it made acoustic instruments sound real, and brought out so much micro detail effortlessly that the HD650 didn't convey without struggling to hear it. Although I still love the sound of the 650's over his 240's it makes me wonder if there is something that combines the best traits of the two?? Does the HD800 bring that last bit of resolution that the 650 is missing along with a true sense of an instruments sound, or is there an AKG that brings more to the table than the 240?? I own the K601's and they are a step in the right direction but are still lacking some of the fundemental strengths of the 240's

Were those 240's all black with white/silver colored lettering? DF's are black plastic...with no gold or silver colored metal like the 240 Monitor or Sextett. Plus it says K240Df on one of the side medallions. What do you prefer about the hd650?

BTW, if anyone's interested, there's a mint set up on ebay, shipping from Canada, starting at $60 USD.

Oct 28, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #28 of 149
I think the K601 is overall more enjoyable to listen to vs the 240. The K601 does everything very well (not perfect, but very well) the K240 does a couple things exceptionally well, which makes them excel in certain music, however in most music I prefer the K601's or HD650's. I would say the 240's have more microdetail as well as a truer representation of acoustic instruments. (probably why they are used in studio's so much, they do that one thing better than most other 'phones) I believe the set i used was K240 sextetts so I have no idea how they compare to the new 240 MKII's or other varieties.

The K601's are still one of my favorites and I don't see why I would ever get rid of them. They aren't used everyday, but they are very enoyable to listen to. I would recommend them to anyone they are very good headphones for the money.

Oct 28, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #30 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by lejaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Were those 240's all black with white/silver colored lettering? DF's are black plastic...with no gold or silver colored metal like the 240 Monitor or Sextett. Plus it says K240Df on one of the side medallions. What do you prefer about the hd650?

BTW, if anyone's interested, there's a mint set up on ebay, shipping from Canada, starting at $60 USD.

To be honest I probably enjoy how the HD650's "change/color/represent" the sound. I would have to say the 240's are much more natural with acoustic instruments. And the microdetail was wonderful, but the total package wasn't for me. The soundstage and feeling of the music (true or not) is more enjoyable with the HD650's. However I might have to pick up a set of 240's for amplifier design/testing they really are that good at what they do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back