AKG K240DF quick first impressions... Now with pics!
Jan 24, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #136 of 149
How do I tell which version I have??

Jan 24, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #137 of 149
...and what's the difference between versions??

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #138 of 149
Rather different, I have to say, as I think DFs are much better for live concerts.
For studio vocal records, always Monitor.

The sound signature of old versions (both K240M and K240DF) is a little bit more muddy than that on later models.
However, the previous models have more vivid mids. 

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #139 of 149
Do you see a lovely black round cloth backing with a EVA sheet right under either earpad?
Remove it and you'll see what you have.

You'll see a round plastic disc with EITHER a paper-like ring in black or white OR a ring of six paper-like passive radiators (3 in white and the other 3 in black or light blue/grey) .
If the disc come with the former setup, this set of DF is a later model; if with the latter setup, an earlier model.

Whatever edition you have, DFs are excellent headphones, which, ironically, are discontinued.  

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #140 of 149
Im sure its been covered many times,but I cant find it...

If i own all three versions of the sextetts,is there a reason to grab a DF? Primary differences sound wise?

Mar 28, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #141 of 149
Have you ever compared DFs with Sextetts?
Whether you need a pair of DF or not depends on you.

For me, they are the best headphones for live concerts (but I tend to use K240 Monitor for studio records).
I will have all the versions, although just having some of them :)

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #142 of 149
Yikes! The K240DF has been driving my Headroom Micro Amp into clipping. I've never heard that before so at first I didn't know exactly what I was hearing. I hate that Headroom never published specs on their gear. Plugging the DF in I just kind of assumed it would work. 

So that means I need an amp. I'm leaning towards the Schiit Valhalla on the more expensive end, though the Musical Paradise MP-301 interests me a little as an all-rounder that can drive speakers too. I'm just afraid I'd lose out on detail and transient response. 

I was also looking at saving money by buying a Little Dot MkII or even that scary looking Little Bear P8, however if I don't buy the Valhalla and cheap out then I'll always wonder what I'm missing out on. 

Sidelining the DF's for now and using my K701's and K401's till I figure out what to do for an amp. 

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #143 of 149
  Have you ever compared DFs with Sextetts?
Whether you need a pair of DF or not depends on you.

For me, they are the best headphones for live concerts (but I tend to use K240 Monitor for studio records).
I will have all the versions, although just having some of them :)

No I havent thats why im asking....What are the primary differences?
Sextetts bring guitars about as far forward as possible,even more so than Grados...DFs do this as well?

Jun 27, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #144 of 149
Finally picked up a pair of DFs for cheap. They need new pads.
Question is there a foam filter that goes over the driver? If so,which should I order?

Nov 20, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #145 of 149
Hi, I've purchased a pair of advertised K240DF headphones, but I can't match them to other 240s'.

Both ear cups are wired, the R button is red and the cable is terminated in a XLR5 terminal.
Apologies the pictures aren't the best.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20211120_165632_646.jpg
    IMG_20211120_165632_646.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20211120_165632_700.jpg
    IMG_20211120_165632_700.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20211120_165632_783.jpg
    IMG_20211120_165632_783.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20211120_165632_812.jpg
    IMG_20211120_165632_812.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 0
Jan 15, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #146 of 149
If anyone read the October 3rd Omaha meet impressions thread, they'll know that not much caught my ear, aside from Gross' K240. They were pretty good out of the sources that I tried- I'm not sure of the exact model that they were.

I just received the bal-SE converter for the K240DF that wavoman traded me today. Upon plugging the headphones into my DAC, I fired up a few test tracks.

These things are incredible. Insane amounts of detail retrieval/micro-detail. Lightning-fast transients that put my Grados to shame. An unbelievable sense of clarity. I know that they are studio monitors, but I could definitely listen to these daily.

Appearance and comfort are distantly second and third, though the headphones are in 10/10 condition and I could wear them for hours on end. All that matters here is the sound, and what a sound it is!

I almost feel guilty owning these headphones, knowing that they would be any mixer or masterer's dream. I can't imagine the frequency response graph having any peaks or valleys, it presents everything just as it was recorded (or so I imagine, since I have no way of knowing for sure). Truly a phenomenal pair of headphones.

hydbGl.jpg

g0T11l.jpg

EDIT: A fun fact that wavoman passed on to me, these are the only headphones ever produced to conform to German standards for a linear frequency response. I'm not sure which German institute Larry referenced, if I remember correctly it was some sort of radio body.

Just in case the question of "which do you prefer?" comes up, I'm going to answer in advance, "The Grados". My ears prefer the sound of the Grados, though I could easily see someone preferring the K240DF. Those who love linearity, who hold detail dearly, who crave clarity, should absolutely pick up a pair of K240's. Lesser versions can be had for ~$50 in the FS forums.
i love akg's old 240 models- the sextett, 240m, and 240df. i like-and still own-the 240m best, its a middle ground between the sextett bassisness and df's hyper analytical-ness.
these all run best with a ton of power!
The DF's are good all-rounders for any type of music (headphones with a lot of bass tend to overdo the bass, on some music genres that are already bass-heavy).
But I can see how some people might say the DFs are too dry or flat-sounding. You also need an amp for them to get decent volume. With a 240 Monitor, you can get away wihout using an amp, even though they are 600ohm, just like the DF.

Jun 6, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #147 of 149
Do you see a lovely black round cloth backing with a EVA sheet right under either earpad?
Remove it and you'll see what you have.

You'll see a round plastic disc with EITHER a paper-like ring in black or white OR a ring of six paper-like passive radiators (3 in white and the other 3 in black or light blue/grey) .
If the disc come with the former setup, this set of DF is a later model; if with the latter setup, an earlier model.

Whatever edition you have, DFs are excellent headphones, which, ironically, are discontinued.
Do you know if there are other versions? I found one online who claims to be a K240DF but has a white cloth ring, and it appears to have more than 6 radiators. This is what I mean:

K240DF.jpg

Jan 13, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #148 of 149
Mine are just like that, with eight holes. The cloth is black though.
Currently running maintenance. Might pull that cloth completely out as it's gone a bit.... sticky. The foam behind those holes doesn't seem to be rotten though. Maybe a little bit but not much. The foam in the middle though, all I had to do was blow on it hard and it came apart.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #149 of 149
Do you know if there are other versions? I found one online who claims to be a K240DF but has a white cloth ring, and it appears to have more than 6 radiators. This is what I mean:

Underneath that cloth are six holes on the top and bottom halves, and two little rectangles in-between. Apart from different materials, that section is exactly the same as the k240 studio (the little rectangles are underneath the circles to far left, and far right):

driver-k240-kl.jpg

BUT, they're still 600 ohms, and they still sound better than the k240 studio.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back