AKG K240 better than HD650 - am I nuts?
May 13, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #46 of 56
Useful reading on this thread so far-have been searching for recommendation, as new 240 Studio owner, on a good amp to go with, esp to help even out the mid-bass bump and the recessed highs. Any thoughts? Currently considering the 2Move, the HeadRoom Micro, and the Hornet. Portability not an issue. Just wondered what some of you 240 owners and operators have found to have that lovely synergy.

Thanks . . .

May 13, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #47 of 56
I own a pair of well broken in K240S and love them.

They are currently plugged into a Pioneer PD-91 and sound absolutely supreme.

I really need to get a hold of a 240 Sextett, but never find any when they are available. Bad timing I suppose.

I think the SQ to Price ratio is very good for these model of headphones. Can you really go wrong?

May 13, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #48 of 56
I keep seeing people selling various 24X versions on here, often regrettably as they need the cash to buy better gear. This has piqued my curiosity, especially as my ALO 701's have gotten me used to not having the gigantic amounts of bass so many other phones I've tried have.

What music are people listening to with these? And through what gear?

May 13, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #50 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I keep seeing people selling various 24X versions on here, often regrettably as they need the cash to buy better gear. This has piqued my curiosity, especially as my ALO 701's have gotten me used to not having the gigantic amounts of bass so many other phones I've tried have.

What music are people listening to with these? And through what gear?

I listen to everything from Bela Fleck & the 'Tones to Dethklok to Kiss/AC-DC to choral works to angry classical to cool jazz and bop on my K240 Sextetts. I also use them for my spoken podcasts. Very natural male voice presentation.

I either run direct from the headphone jack out on my iBook G4 (running iTunes for most everything), or amped with my 6060 Creek that has had some mods. My 5G iPod 30g does not have enough juice to run them to full volume, but sound decent. Not as good as ER4s sound (detail/presentation-wise), but they do sound alright thru either the portable or my iBook.

May 13, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #51 of 56
Well, I just bought the two broken pairs of K240DF that were posted on ebay today for $50. I'm a DIY fanatic, so fixing these should be a no brainer. Sounds like shorted cords. One pair is missing the logo badges on the sides. But, I bet I can find them somewhere. Maybe Fitz knows?
wink.gif

~Z

May 10, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #53 of 56
..bit late to the party i suppose but i support the old findings in this topic.

After my K240 Sextett (MP or LP) died i couldn't find a good follow-up. In the end i chose HD650 but today i received the occasion AKG K240 Sextett (EP) which i ordered via ebay. I believe it has a bit stronger bass output than my previous Sextett but it sounds very much the same.

The Sextett voicing really suits me well. It sounds very detailed yet non-fatiguing. And it's definitely more accurate than HD650.

Jan 9, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #54 of 56
I don't think the mids of HD650 are accurate. 
If they really are, maybe K240 Anniversary Edition has more accurate mids, although a little bit drier than the earlier productions of K240M and Sextett (K240&K242).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back