AKG K1000 Cable Replacement
Oct 28, 2002 at 7:38 PM Post #46 of 71
OK! I am almost finished testing the Orpheus K-1000 cable. I was able to get a friend to test the cable also. So there are now two reviewers.

The question is: Who is next? I hope someone in the US East Coast wants to try this cable. Anybody ready for it?

Oct 29, 2002 at 3:12 AM Post #47 of 71
I would like to give the cable a try. If you can get it to me before 11/16 I will bring it to the NY meet ,So others members can also listen to it.
bozebuttons
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2002 at 4:39 AM Post #49 of 71
bozebuttons:

Cool! At the NY Meeting, many people will try the K-1000 cable. That means we can have more reviews. Just make sure they write down their impressions. You know, keep a record of their opinions somehow.

Yes, I can easily get the cable to you well before Nov 16th. The USPS's Priority Mail takes 3 to 5 days anywhere in the USA. So I'm sure you will get it very fast!

One thing: Try to find out your "zip-code plus four." For example, mine is 00918-4313. It helps the postman pinpoint your address, and it assures a faster delivery.

Please send me an email with your name, address and zip-code plus 4. I will send you Orpheus's K-1000 cable right away. Here's my e-mail box...

gariver911@yahoo.com

Good luck with all this!

Nov 17, 2002 at 3:46 AM Post #50 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by Orpheus
let's try that picture again:

I'd like to be able to insert a Grado extension cable between the K1000 cable coming from my tube amp, and the K1000 headphone cable. Can you suggest how to fabricate this?

Nov 17, 2002 at 7:27 AM Post #51 of 71
mikeg, i'm not sure what you mean. do you mean specifically using a Grado cable, cutting it up, then attaching the appropriate plugs?--or do you mean, just making an extension cable?

well, either way, if you just want a longer cable... i still think my design's the best... use a pair of Canare L-4E6S... one for Right, one for Left. ...I just sent a new cable terminated with Cardas Rhodium Milled spades to the New York meeting. (yes, those are the top-of-the-line $20 a pair spades.) I will post pictures after bosebuttons ships them back to me.

since my design results in lower gauge cables than stock... you probably can get 15-20ft out of it without any loss in quality, compared to stock.

dean

Nov 17, 2002 at 4:20 PM Post #52 of 71
Took orpheus cables to NY meet Had one with speaker leads hooked up to norh se9 , cable with phono plug used to plug into various amps. grace 901 worked well with phono plug cable most amps couldn't drive the akgs out of the headphone jack. Couldn't do a comparion test at show with stock cable just too much going on.
Aeberbach did most of the listening to these cables.And posted some comments in members loung nyc meet thread. Anyone I showed the cables to agree with me they are very imppressive looking cables.
I wil be sending back the blockhead this week and my next thing to do is compare these cables to the stock ones in my own system.

Nov 17, 2002 at 4:50 PM Post #53 of 71
Thanks Orpheus,

I don't want to alter the Grado cable; i.e., I just want to insert it as an extension between the Stefan AudioArt cable that's connected to the speaker terminals of the power amp., and the K1000 headphone cable. I've decided to fabricate two "adapters" consisting of a male and a female 4-pin XLR connectors and 1/4 inch plugs, and to plug these contraptions to the ends of the Grado cable when I use it as an extension for the K1000.

Nov 18, 2002 at 1:51 AM Post #54 of 71
you know, mikeg... most cable companies brag about how pure their cable is... i've heard one company say their cable is 99.99999% pure copper!.... well, that surely is very pure. but if you start adding ANYTHING in between... like plugs or adapters, that would lower the overall purity i'd say by a couple decimal points... like thousands of times less pure. now, i personally don't think you would hear any difference at all, but it's something to think about. if you want the absolute best theoretical performance, tell Stefan Audioart to make you a custom cable that's 20' long... and sell your old one... or just make one yourself. extra plugs and stuff are the worst things to do, IF you believe in having the purest conductor possible.

Nov 18, 2002 at 3:18 AM Post #56 of 71
heh he.... thanks for the compliment.

post some pics man.

using non-star quad does make things so much easier though. soldering those Cardas Rhodium Milled spades are a major pain!... and i bought the kind with two holes, thinking it would be cooler since i'm using star quad. welp... those things are so big, that when heated up to the correct temperature, they burn through the socks that i use as padding on my clamp. they hold the heat too much due to their mass... after i remove my soldering pen, the solder is still liquid for like 30 seconds! would have been lots easier to deal with if i only had to use one hole.

but the final product looks pretty cool. i could only imagine how they sound... haven't had a chance to use them yet, had to ship them out immediately...

how did you like them anyway, besides just their aesthetic value?--i mean, you hear a difference?

heh he... you probably noticed that my spade terminated product was a bit better constructed compared to my 1/4" plug version (less heatshrink, cleaner design, better colors). electrically both are pretty close in performance, but i think the spade version looks a lot more impressive. got it down the second time!--practice makes perfect. i've soldered more than 500 plugs before for my studio... but this headphone cable thing is different--fun though.

Nov 18, 2002 at 5:18 AM Post #58 of 71
Thanks Orpheus, for all your assistance. My critical listening will be done without an extension. The extension will be used only when I walk around the room, etc. Right now, I do so using an SR325 connected by Grado extension to an RA-1. I'm trying to improve this non-critical listening by using my K1000.

Nov 18, 2002 at 4:50 PM Post #59 of 71
IMG_0053.JPG-thumb_269_202.jpg

My take on the Orpheus-style cable. I used a right angle plug because it places less stress on the socket of my Grace amp, which uses those plastic Cliff stereo jacks. I looked to see if I could replace them with Neutriks but no room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back