AKG K1000 Cable Replacement
Oct 21, 2002 at 7:29 AM Post #16 of 71
cool. so, you wanted the cable terminated with a 1/4" plug for a headphone jack, not spade connectors for a power amp right? (i'm not sure what type outputs the SAC amp has)

if so... Gariver asked first. so, after he's done, he can ship it to you. is that good?

dean

ps- this isn't a replacement for the ENTIRE cable... it's just the 2nd section, the one that connects to the power amp. so, you don't remove the 1st section from the headphone. look at the picture of the cable that i provided. that's what you'll get. this is similar to the Equinox replacement... but better.

Oct 21, 2002 at 7:59 AM Post #17 of 71
ok, if there's already someone who's willing to test the cable, then I prefer to save the shipping cost to buy some CDs.

I plug the end of the first part of the AKG 1000 cable into the SAC amp. There are two four pin XLR type plugs at the front of the SAC amp. You don't need the second part of the AKG cable to connect the AKG phone and amp. So I guess even with your cable, it won't make my AKG K1000 sound any better.

There's a link of the SAC amp, take a look. It's a pdf file, so it may take a while to download.

But if Gariver couldn't get the job done for whatever reason, I'm more than willing to test the cable then.
cool.gif

Oct 22, 2002 at 1:06 AM Post #20 of 71
I keep coming back and looking at your picture again. I must say, it is an incredible looking cable.

Do you happen to know of any good quality DIN jacks and connectors? I'd like to try making my own DIN cable for use with my amp.

Oct 22, 2002 at 3:41 AM Post #21 of 71
naw... sorry... the only connectors i have used so far are RCA, 1/4", Mini, Bananas, Spades, and XLRs. a DIN huh? strange... what amp uses a DIN connector? the only audio equipment i'm familiar with that uses DIN types would be multi-channel recording equipment (breakout boxes and stuff,) or multi-channel digital systems (like TDIF.) ...perhaps this is a 5.1 or 7.1 surround system amp with proprietory system connections? are you sure you mean a DIN... or maybe you're confused with XLR?

Oct 22, 2002 at 1:10 PM Post #22 of 71
The plug on the K1000 is definitely XLR - I also made a cable. Not to compete or anything but I used two pairs teflon-insulated cable inside techflex with Neutrik connectors. I also disassembled one side of the K1000s. If I find some suitable cable (teflon, flexible, correct diameter) I'm going to try cable replacement all the way up to the cans and remove that connection in the middle.

Incidentally I had a lot of bad luck ordering Neutrik parts. I ordered from both Markertek and Allied Electronics and got the right part numbers in sealed Neutrik bags but the bags either had parts missing or incorrect parts - luckily Neutrik responded right away and are sending out free replacements.

Oct 22, 2002 at 3:27 PM Post #23 of 71
I'm using a DIN connector to connect my Gilmore power supply to my Gilmore amp (they are in separate boxes). I like the XLR jacks and cables better, but I wouldn't want to confuse anybody because XLR jacks are also used as audio input jacks, while I know that Headroom's external PS uses DIN connectors as well as some other external power supplies

Oct 22, 2002 at 3:35 PM Post #24 of 71
You could use a 5-pin XLR, that would make it incompatible with the Headroom amps (3-pin) and the AKG K1000 (4-pin). Or even better use the Neutrik NL4FC speakon connectors.

Oct 22, 2002 at 4:35 PM Post #25 of 71
aeberbach,

i hesitate to use the neutrik speakon connectors because if someone had to purchase a replacement cable one would not be readily available. However, DIN and XLR cables are all over the place even Radio Shack

Oct 22, 2002 at 6:49 PM Post #27 of 71
yeah... now that i thought about it a little more, you probably don't want to use standard cables that have DIN terminators for connecting your power supply. such cables are usually for computers and line level signals (thinner gauge wires)... they might choke your power a little.

like aeberback suggested, speakons might be good... or just make your own from 5 pin XLR or something. either one would be easy to make, cause Neutrik makes both kinds of plugs/sockets.

but em... a little of topic... anyone else wanna demo my cables?

Oct 22, 2002 at 8:32 PM Post #28 of 71
aeberbach:

That's great! I've been thinking of building replacements for both the headphone cable and headphone extension too.

I am seriously considering XLO 30 AWG solid copper, Teflon insulated wire from Michael Percy ($0.30/ft). This XLO wire is 6/9s (.999999) pure copper. And it is the same wire that XLO uses in their top of the line interconnects. Recently, I built a pair of interconnects using this wire, and the results were extremely positive. It's a fantastic wire at a reasonable price. To get a lower overall gauge, I plan to triple or quadruple the 30 AWG wire. That is, instead of one wire, I will use 3 or 4 wires

Here's a question for you: What wire gauge will you be using?

BTW, I tried to take out the screws of the K1000s, but the screws would not move. I believe AKG uses some type of glue so that the screws do not come off. Tough!

Oct 24, 2002 at 4:28 PM Post #29 of 71
Orpheus and the rest of The K-1000 Gang:

An hour ago, the postman delivered the package with the K-1000 Cable. I have all ready done several quick changes between the AKG K1000 Extension Cable and the Orpheus K-1000 cable. Results? It is easy to understand why Orpheus wants people to try his cable: It's better than the AKG!

No more comments for now. I will continue to test the cable with all sorts of different music: Latin Jazz, Jazz, Mozart, Beethoven, pianos, harps, violins, marimba, etc., etc. Hopefully, my friends will come by my house to give the cable a serious listening session. I've all ready told them I have it.

OK. Stay tuned to this thread. I will give you plenty of details later on. So there's more to come.

Once again: Right off the bat, Orpheus's K1000 Cable beats the AKG Extension Cable!

Oct 25, 2002 at 12:49 AM Post #30 of 71
Hi Orpheus,
Now I am interested in building a cable like yours. I did not ask to try yours because I need to hook up to my amp's binding post, and I could not use a cable with a headphone jack.

I already have a couple of the Neutrik 4 pin connectors, but I was wondering where you get the Canare wire from?

I live in LA, if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
Randy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back