akg 401? hd-580/590??
Jan 15, 2002 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Ramtha604

100+ Head-Fier
Hey there!

I'm looking for headphones for home use (using my sony earbuds with my md recorder) and a portable amp that will drive them (both) well. My total budget is around $300, $350 being pretty much the absolute maximum for now.

I'm using a Sony MZ-R70 MD Recorder for outside and a Hercules FortissimoII Soundcard in my PC (with a JVC XL-E34 CD Player plugged into it's line in), both delivering rather small output signals... (I think the md recorder is the weakest device I've ever witnessed...)

I mainly listen to psychedelic trance, which is very demanding throughout the whole sound spectrum (from the very lows to the very highs) and often very complex not rarely having dozens of sounds at once playing (echoing/swirling around from left to right and back...), so a clear sound stage with good sound seperation is very important and of course I'd like to get the most detailed sound while still being able to hear several hours straight without fatigue.

On the other hand I also love listening to chill out (often) and occasionally drum and bass which both tend to _especially_ stress the ~30 to 80 hz range.

As you've probably guessed the three models listed in the subject are those I've taken into closer consideration (still being open for suggestions of course) after doing some hours of internet research on various sites.

Today I had the chance to listen to the akg 501 (sadly not the 401) and hd-590 and I've got to say, that while I was rather disappointed by the akg 501 (maybe because they weren't amped and very poorly driven) I liked the hd-590 (which I had to try on a different, my guess would be considerably stronger system) very much (also unamped), not to say I was astonished, probably because I've never listened to anything above maybe $60 headphone wise.
smily_headphones1.gif

So what I'd kindly be asking for is a amp+phone setup (portable amp + headphones for homeuse) roughly meeting my preferences under the outlined circumstances.

Thanks a lot for any help, =)
Roland

Jan 15, 2002 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 20
The Kind of cans you get will depend on what type of music you listen to most, among other things, as for a portable amp, I've listen to a borrowed Porta-Corda, and been very happy with it so far. (Cans used are my hd580's). Hope this helps!

Jan 15, 2002 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 20
I'm going out on a limb here.. I'd say for your tastes, the DT250-80 might work well. The K501's definatly werent designed with that sortof music in mind. Infact, I'm getting a pair of DT250-80's myself just for this reason. The 580s go low enough, but require a good amp. I listened to them on an OBH11 and I was less then impressed, but I heard they dont pair very well. The 580s appear to go lower then the K501s ofcourse, but I'm not sure about the DT250-80s. After poking around and asking a few people, I'm pretty confident that they respond with "respectable" bass well below the audible level, unless you can hear 20hz fairly well. Would be an excellent match for your genre of music listening. Sadly, the highs dont appear to be very extended, which may or may not be a problem. They also isolate well, and are very non-fatiging so I hear.

Remember, I havent heard these yet. Going on assumptions here. Someone back me up. And don't recommend the V6s, or I'll attack you with a wooden stick!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2002 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 20
Ya, you might want to check out www.meier-audio.com, he has some akg's, beyerdynamics and the porta corda.

George

Jan 15, 2002 at 10:35 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Xander
Remember, I havent heard these yet. Going on assumptions here. Someone back me up. And don't recommend the V6s, or I'll attack you with a wooden stick!
smily_headphones1.gif

OH YEA: get the V6's, the hell with everything else, they blow away the Orpheus too!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif

HAHAHAHAHA!
tongue.gif

George

Jan 15, 2002 at 10:43 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco

OH YEA: get the V6's, the hell with everything else, they blow away the Orpheus too!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif

HAHAHAHAHA!
tongue.gif

George

I thought I locked you in the broom closet?
rolleyes.gif
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2002 at 11:18 PM Post #7 of 20
Ramtha604,

I would recommend the Beyer 250-80. Nice low end response, though not as low or boomy as the Sony V6. The Beyers have nice detail, but an amp opens them up even more. Comfort level is great. I can use wear these at home for about 3 hours without fatigue. The isolation is very good as well.

When I use the 250-80 in a portable set-up (Sony PCDP or MZR900 or Nomad Jukebox), I use the JMT built CHA47 Altoids amp to power them. Very nice combo! The Senn 580 is a better overall phone IMHO, but the 250-80 offers up a different, very good sonic experience.

I know your budget restricted (you'll probably overcome that once you've stayed a while!), but you may want to try the Grado 325. When I'm in the mood for some trance or chill out, I slip on the 325s. It's typical Grado impact, but with great low end response and CRISP details (too much for some).

You won't go wrong with the 250-80, highly recommended!

Regards - reynman

Jan 16, 2002 at 12:46 AM Post #8 of 20
Thanks for all the recommendations so far, I hope I'll find a place to listen to all those cans before making a decision. Also the Beyer 250-80 and Grado 325 sound very promising judging from their descriptions on headphone.com.

I've got a short question though... it seems as if the Headroom Total Airhead is really the only portable (and at the same time cheapest) non-DIY headphone amp around? Do any considerable alternatives exist?

Jan 16, 2002 at 12:54 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Ramtha604
I've got a short question though... it seems as if the Headroom Total Airhead is really the only portable (and at the same time cheapest) non-DIY headphone amp around? Do any considerable alternatives exist?

Yes! The Porta Corda: www.meier-audio.com

George

Jan 16, 2002 at 12:55 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Xander
I thought I locked you in the broom closet?
rolleyes.gif
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Heehee!

George
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 16, 2002 at 3:25 AM Post #11 of 20
hey Xander,
i'd like to get your opinions on the k401 vs. k501

(i know you've recently sold your k401's and bought a pair of k501's).

is it me, or are the k401's just a bit grainy in the midrange?

Jan 16, 2002 at 8:14 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by arnett
hey Xander,
i'd like to get your opinions on the k401 vs. k501

(i know you've recently sold your k401's and bought a pair of k501's).

is it me, or are the k401's just a bit grainy in the midrange?

arnett, the K401s do have a slightly grainy upper midrange compared to the K501s. It was actually far worse when I first got them, and smoothed out greatly after they've broken in. I think a lot of people are assuming that these cans are completely different. coolvij was considering the K501s along with many other cans, and he currently owns the Senn HD475's. He stated that he wasnt going to consider the K401s because the improvment over his 475's wouldent be that great. Little does he know. These headphones sound very alike.
smily_headphones1.gif

What doesnt sound alike, however, is the bass and upper midrange and treble frequencies. I'd have to say that the bass on the K501s is a TINY bit leaner, but also appears to be a tad more well defined in the lows. The highs are also less peaky, which attributes to some grainyness in the upper regions. The difference in that respect is pretty subtle. I believe the drivers may be matched better as well, as the soundstage has improved as well.

Jan 16, 2002 at 3:01 PM Post #15 of 20
Get the V6! They rock everything else!

*Runs away from Xander at 9.9s/100m*

[/joke]

edit: I see gloco has beaten me to it. Meh.
redface.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back