Aful Performer Impressions Thread
Aug 4, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #286 of 515
I’m just back from a 2 week holiday - the P8 along with my trusty old ZX300 was my daily driver for by the pool etc. Such a fantastic, easy to listen, captivating set that is great with any genre! Incidentally, I’ve Quintet landing today and curious as to how they compare.

Missing the hot temperatures now I’m back in Ireland… a country that seems to avoid global warming!

IMG_6700.jpeg

Aug 4, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #287 of 515
I’m just back from a 2 week holiday - the P8 along with my trusty old ZX300 was my daily driver for by the pool etc. Such a fantastic, easy to listen, captivating set that is great with any genre! Incidentally, I’ve Quintet landing today and curious as to how they compare.

Missing the hot temperatures now I’m back in Ireland… a country that seems to avoid global warming!

IMG_6700.jpeg
Defo let us know how you find the differences between P8 and Quintet.

Here in the UK we just had the wettest July on record. Curse that global boiling!

Aug 10, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #291 of 515
Has anyone been able to compare these against the Kiwi Ears Quintet lately? Still yet to see a detailed comparison.

Oh sorry - I forgot to compare and I’ve actually sold Quintet since! - catch and release… the catch bit was under the influence of too much🍷 I definitely prefer P8, a smoother listen - I found Quintet came off a bit harsh in the uppers with more energetic music which is an instant chop for me… I haven’t heard this complaint from others so clearly a subjective experience.

Aug 10, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #292 of 515
Oh sorry - I forgot to compare and I’ve actually sold Quintet since! - catch and release… the catch bit was under the influence of too much🍷 I definitely prefer P8, a smoother listen - I found Quintet came off a bit harsh in the uppers with more energetic music which is an instant chop for me… I haven’t heard this complaint from others so clearly a subjective experience.
I have the Quintet currently and I definitely agree it can come off a bit harsh in the highs. I am using small bore tips and a copper cable to tame them a bit and it helps. I prefer a smoother/warmer tuning generally but something about the Quintet keeps me coming back

Aug 10, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #293 of 515
I have the Quintet currently and I definitely agree it can come off a bit harsh in the highs. I am using small bore tips and a copper cable to tame them a bit and it helps. I prefer a smoother/warmer tuning generally but something about the Quintet keeps me coming back

Yes it’s an impressive set for sure - I’m just in a cycle of having too many and couldn’t justify keeping!

Aug 10, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #294 of 515
Do you have the P8 as well? If so, how do they compre to you?

Aug 10, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #295 of 515
Do you have the P8 as well? If so, how do they compre to you?
Unfortunately I don't have the P8 and haven't had a chance to try them. I did have the P5 and I feel like the Quintet is better

Aug 11, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #296 of 515
It is the speed of the micro planars which keeps you coming back. I emailed support at Kiwi Ears a little while ago to ask them what the diameter is of the mesh screens on the ends of the nozzles. I also asked them for recommendations to reduce the upper midrange by around 2 dB. I should have thought to ask them about the mesh size for the screens since it occurs to me that I could get extra screens, pull off the original screens, insert very weak tuning foam, and then install new screens.

Aug 11, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #297 of 515
Has anyone been able to compare these against the Kiwi Ears Quintet lately? Still yet to see a detailed comparison.
The P5 also has a slight dip in its frequency response at around 2.5 kHz. The result is an IEM which has a more natural sound, still has very nice details and fine details which you can hear, and is an IEM which you can easily listen to for hours. My preferred eartips for the P5 are the Azla SednaEarFit Light eartips. I have somewhat smaller ears and I always need to use small size S eartips. The P5 fits extremely comfortably in my ears.

The Quintet is a bit bright in the upper midrange from around 2.5 kHz to 5 kHz. This brightness is just below the point of causing sibilance for me. The micro planars in the Quintet result in extremely crisp details which are crisper than the P5. The Quintet also has a piezo driver, yet it is very well implemented such that you barely notice the characteristic sound associated with piezo drivers. The Quintet sounds very nice when I am wide awake. I do tend to prefer to listen to the Performer 5 whenever I really want to relax or when I am tired.

If you like the sound of dynamic drivers, then the P5 probably is the better choice. If you like the crisp and fast sound of planars, then the Quintet probably is the better choice. If you are really not sure which one to get, then the P5 is the safer choice. Both of these IEMs are noticeably superior to all of my other less expensive IEMs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back