Aful Performer Impressions Thread
Aug 3, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #271 of 550
Anyone else impressed how easy the P8s are to drive?
I'm using the P8s via a 4.4mm cable with an ibasso dx170 and they are literally loud enough at 15%. Talk about head room!

Even when plugged into my iphone via the apple dongle I never need to go over 50%.
With the Apple lightning dongle I never exceed 40%. On my Qudelix 5K, I’m in the -48 to -52dB area.

Aug 3, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #274 of 550
Over in the Discovery thread they've been talking about how some iems are not getting the exposure and praise they deserve. Specifically this was around Kiwi Ears Quintet, but whilst that may well be a very good and underrated iem, I would say that the P8 is often ignored in the same way.

Aug 3, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #275 of 550
Have been trying the Performer 8 with Spinfit (CP100+ and W1) tips, but I'm back to using Comply T500 tips. It's the combination that works best for me.

Really enjoying the P8 with the Qudelix 5K
Wired or Bluetooth?

Aug 3, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #276 of 550
Anyone else impressed how easy the P8s are to drive?
I'm using the P8s via a 4.4mm cable with an ibasso dx170 and they are literally loud enough at 15%. Talk about head room!

Even when plugged into my iphone via the apple dongle I never need to go over 50%.
yet they sound great out of my Jot2, really scales well on the desktop...

Aug 3, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #277 of 550
Wired or Bluetooth?
Bluetooth. In all fairness, I dont hear a difference between using it wired, or with bluetooth, so convenience wins for me :wink:

If my hearing is bad and that's the reason I dont hear a difference, then I see that as a plus. as it means I dont have to keep spending money to get 1% better sound quality, haha!

Aug 3, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #278 of 550
Over in the Discovery thread they've been talking about how some iems are not getting the exposure and praise they deserve. Specifically this was around Kiwi Ears Quintet, but whilst that may well be a very good and underrated iem, I would say that the P8 is often ignored in the same way.
To be fair, P5 and P8 seem to do very well in Japan. I have seen folks with fancy cables and all sorts of DAC/amp contraption driving P5 on Twitter.

Aug 3, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #279 of 550
Bluetooth. In all fairness, I dont hear a difference between using it wired, or with bluetooth, so convenience wins for me :wink:

If my hearing is bad and that's the reason I dont hear a difference, then I see that as a plus. as it means I dont have to keep spending money to get 1% better sound quality, haha!
The 1% is really a curse.

Aug 3, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #280 of 550
For some reason these (P8) sound really good just out of the headphone jack of my Apple M1 MacBook Air. So does my Focal Elear with Clear pads though. I don't know what it is but this may be my favorite source. It's always made my Elear with Clear pads come alive, and it's doing the same with the P8. 15% or less volume needed for the P8's on this source.

Aug 4, 2023 at 1:15 AM Post #281 of 550
For some reason these (P8) sound really good just out of the headphone jack of my Apple M1 MacBook Air. So does my Focal Elear with Clear pads though. I don't know what it is but this may be my favorite source. It's always made my Elear with Clear pads come alive, and it's doing the same with the P8. 15% or less volume needed for the P8's on this source.
I read somewhere that the Macbooks have a variable voltage output on the 3.5mm so they can step up when hard to drive headphones are plugged in. Whoever wrote about it was pretty impressed too.

Aug 4, 2023 at 3:33 AM Post #283 of 550
Is it fair to compare the quintet to the p8? How do they differ?

Aug 4, 2023 at 4:38 AM Post #285 of 550
Is it fair to compare the quintet to the p8? How do they differ?
This is one of the comparisons I'd like to hear more about. Before I bought the P8, I was torn between it and the Quintet. At the time, the best consensus I could get was that although the Quintet is a very good and technical iem, it isn't quite as good as the P8. After I got the P8 I then saw the Akros YT review with other top mid-fi sets like SA6 and Blessing 3, and am happy that I made the choice I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back