After making fun of Macs for 15 years, I bought a MBP
Jun 5, 2011 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Bojamijams

Headphoneus Supremus
Brand new 15"MBP, 2.0ghz, 4gb ram, 128gb SSD

I want to develop for iOS so I needed a mac that can run XCode.

But I also wanted to finally see what the big deal with macs is as well.  So what are some of the things I should do as soon as I get a MBP?

One thing that I noticed while playing in VirtualBox with Snow Leopard is that I have no idea how to uninstall apps.  There's no Add/Remove, nothing like on Windows that I could find.

Seem stupid to ask that but there you go.

Anyway.. tips for making the most of it?

Jun 5, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 31
Jun 5, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 31
i am actually thinking my next laptop will be a macbook as i am sick of subpar warranty support.

Jun 5, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 31
Congratulations! Apple rocks and I'm proud to be on team Apple. You did a fine choice. Mac Books are great laptops and I too like you bought one for the first time a couple weeks ago, mainly to do some types of recording but for general purposes I love it.

I used to bash iPods years ago and snicker at the iPod crowd because there were other great MP3 players out there that were just as good in sound quality or better for a cheaper price. But then, the iPod touch came out and that was a different story. For pocket computers with video and music, I became an iPod convert. Now, I am an Apple lover and I love it.

I used to snicker, now I see the light.

Jun 5, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 31

Quote:
Congratulations! Apple rocks and I'm proud to be on team Apple. You did a fine choice. Mac Books are great laptops and I too like you bought one for the first time a couple weeks ago, mainly to do some types of recording but for general purposes I love it.

I used to bash iPods years ago and snicker at the iPod crowd because there were other great MP3 players out there that were just as good in sound quality or better for a cheaper price. But then, the iPod touch came out and that was a different story. For pocket computers with video and music, I became an iPod convert. Now, I am an Apple lover and I love it.

I used to snicker, now I see the light.

the only ipod i like is the ipod classic. i am not much a fan of the ipod touch as mine broke after only 6 months. i am awaiting a new one from apple.

personally the only thing i dislike about apple is the closed in interface. if i am to buy a mac i will probably install windows 7 on it.

Jun 5, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #7 of 31
Welcome! Yay for Team-Apple!

Jun 5, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #9 of 31

But nobody knows the answer to the question of uninstalling?

Also feel free to share tips about 'must get apps' and tweaks, etc. Hell we could make it a general thread for Mac like "Did you know...?" type tips

Jun 5, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #10 of 31
Clean up your dock to be just bare essential programs. Use spotlight (little magnifying glass top right) to find files & launch applications- with a ssd it should be supper fast. Enable Space through System preferences and pick keyboard shortcut to move between screens. 

Jun 6, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #11 of 31
To uninstall apps using the mac OSX, you just drag it to the trash bin.

Or if you want to do a more thorough job, you can download: http://www.appzapper.com/

It'll get rid of those hidden files on your system that the former way doesn't get a hold of.

Jun 6, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #15 of 31
So from what I understand, Snow Leopard doesn't currently support TRIM but Lion will.  Though I saw no mention of that today during the WWDC but I guess its too small a thing to be worth mentioning specifically.

Does anyone else use an SSD with their Mac? How do you keep your SSD in optimal condition without TRIM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back