AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 9, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #376 of 5,483

Don't think the TSA would let me carry a blow torch on a flight...
Won't be able to use the Aeon as my on-flight headphones!  
mad.gif

Pass!

What about a file? Might take a while to open the case with one small enough to take on a flight though... 

Feb 9, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #377 of 5,483
a few questions:

the on sale models for $699 (vs $799) on his site:

are these to have the actual finished product ie matching drivers

or still to be tweaked slightly?

just read all sales final, not returns/exchanges.

As I understand it, these first 250 are full production models, there's just a significant discount to kick off the sales and get people interested/talking (as we are!). I'd guess the no-returns part is simply due to the discount and the resulting margins, meaning that returns and such have a real cost and that Dan can't afford that cost at this price point. Just a guess. Cheers

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #378 of 5,483
  a few questions:
the on sale models for $699 (vs $799) on his site:
are these to have the actual finished product ie matching drivers
or still to be tweaked slightly?
 just read all sales final, not returns/exchanges.

also will be interesting to read of more comparisons
once they come out against other closed cans.
under $1g is the price point i'm most seeking.
sure i'd love to buy $2k, but have to buy used
esp with crap cdn dollar being 32% lower.

just hope they punch well above their price point.

With the $64 shipping option they came to $1026 CDN for me on the 1st, plus whatever taxes will be
Yeah our dollar sucks when it comes to buying toys 
frown.gif

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #379 of 5,483

With the $64 shipping option they came to $1026 CDN for me on the 1st, plus whatever taxes will be
Yeah our dollar sucks when it comes to buying toys 
frown.gif

yeah, no thanks, then....will wait 'til more reviews come out
(any new item is all of a sudden the 'latest and greatest')
I'll  buy them used off of someone, should the hype stand up
(And if the reality matches the hype, then I really hope this more sane priced item racks up a ton of sales)

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #380 of 5,483
As someone else said on the first page, I had my eye on the new Blue Ella headphones but now my AEON preorder is in and I'll be waiting for these instead. Can't wait!

I'm surprised we've had to wait this long for competition in the closed-back, planar magnetic space at the $500 - $1000 price point. Seems like for the longest time, you had to choose between the lcd-xc and the ether c (neither of which I could afford) or go much cheaper and get something like the oppo pm-3. I hope these hit the sweet spot in terms of price/performance.

Feb 9, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #383 of 5,483

About 6 feet. Not sure if that will change for the production models. 

The cables are 6' and the units are full production, the first 500 are in house already.  Of course, they initially got the L/R channel reversed and had to do over...  

You'd think that would have been the easy part, since the production qualifiers were done correctly.  Happily we had ample time to correct.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 9, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #385 of 5,483

The cables are 6' and the units are full production, the first 500 are in house already.  Of course, they initially got the L/R channel reversed and had to do over...  

You'd think that would have been the easy part, since the production qualifiers were done correctly.  Happily we had ample time to correct.

You say the new DUMMER cable has less resolving capacity in the highs/upper treble than the DUM-cable ... so does this mean that it will sound significantly better with a DUM cable than a dummer... (more soundstage, more air?)

Feb 9, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #386 of 5,483

You say the new DUMMER cable has less resolving capacity in the highs/upper treble than the DUM-cable ... so does this mean that it will sound significantly better with a DUM cable than a dummer... (more soundstage, more air?)

Both are copper cable with similar construction, so the differences are not *major*. On good gear you'll hear more soundstage and resolution, perhaps a bit more bottom end, but it's not in your face obvious.   As always, I suggest people invest in the DAC/Amp chain before considering cables, which make a difference, but not as great as the electronics.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 9, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #387 of 5,483

Hi Dan, so will those ordered already be sent out sooner than originally indicated if they are in-house? Not that i'm impatient to get them or anything 
atsmile.gif

Feb 9, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #388 of 5,483

Both are copper cable with similar construction, so the differences are not *major*. On good gear you'll hear more soundstage and resolution, perhaps a bit more bottom end, but it's not in your face obvious.   As always, I suggest people invest in the DAC/Amp chain before considering cables, which make a difference, but not as great as the electronics.

Makes sense, thx for reply. Last thing, which is a hard question I know, but how "strong" a amp do you think is nessecary make the Aeon sound "decent" ("decent" as in as how they're supposed to sound, which obv I guess is pretty great) ... 

I've looked at the Leckerton UHA-6S ... it has got amazing rep. 

It has the AD8620 Op-Amp which has an output power of 80 mW at 16 ohm.

But for instance the Schiit Magni has a rating of 1,8 W at 16 ohm. That's like 22,5 times more output power than the UHA-6S... I'm a newb in regards to Amp/dacs, but how much juice does this aeon need? Is the leckerton UHA-6S with its 80 mW at 16 ohms powerful enough?

Feb 9, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #390 of 5,483
  Hi Dan, so will those ordered already be sent out sooner than originally indicated if they are in-house? Not that i'm impatient to get them or anything 
atsmile.gif

I think he meant he had the cables in house. I could be wrong. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back