Advice on interconnect choice
Jul 26, 2009 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

xenithon

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi All. I would like to ask for your recommendations (and associated impressions) on interconnects. I need a just one pair, which will go from my Marantz SA7001KI (SA8001) player to my Woo Audio WA2. This will be used primarily with the HD800.

I am looking for something relatively neutral, but would not mind a little additional warmth and body - a smooth and engaging midrange would be ideal, so long as it does not roll off highs or lack taut bass. I would not want anything cold or lean, nor tipped up at the top.

I currently have the following on the shortlist ($250-$350 used) and would appreciate any advice or experience with these:
- Analysis Plus Solo Crystal
- Acoustic Zen Matrix Reference II
- Nordost Heimdall

Also any suggestions for cables which may meet the criteria (price and sonic character) would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance
X

Jul 26, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 23
The Heimdall is excellent, but results in a slightly more mid-forward sound. See if you can't find a pair of Van Den Hul The Orchid, which are as good, if not better. They show up second-hand on Audiogon from time to time reasonably priced. I picked up a pair of 0.8m RCA for $225 and there was a pair of XLRs on there for about $350. The Heimdall in comparison I've not seen for less than $400.

Jul 27, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 23
Thanks for the input. I am wary of VdH as their cables (of which I have had 3 different types) have always suffered from softer transients and dynamics; with somewhat lean bass.

I know that Nordost are generally quick, cool, dry; but have read that the Heimdall are the exception - being characterised as slightly warm, even sweet, but retaining the speed Nordost is known for.

The AP seems, from what I have read, to be a little too warm; with overemphasized bass bleeding into the mids and masking some details. The Acoustic Zen remain a strong contender though - I believe the Matrix Ref. MkI were quite warm and soft, similar to the AP. I have read impressions/reviews that this was improved on, as was detail extraction, with the MkII version.

Anyone out there who has used these cables who can concur with the above or have their own opinion/impressions?

Cheers
X

Jul 27, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #5 of 23
try chord ( darker ) or abbey road ( brighter ) - if You're rich go for MIT ( magnum M1 atleast $$$$$ ) - noone is realy able to give You correct answer - with my previous amp. heimdall was ok - after I upgraded - my new amp. just didn't work with it ( weird ss of cable that came out on supreme amp. ) - personaly i think that with marantz ss chord should work just fine

Jul 27, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #7 of 23
Never liked vdHul, except for the First Ultimates (RCA/RCA). great cable, pure sounding, no coloration.

Jul 28, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #8 of 23
Thanks again for the feedback. Sherwood - do you find the Heimdall to have similar traits to the other Nordost cables (speed, attack, clarity but at the expense of being lean and somewhat bright) or do you find they lean more toward the warm / full-bodied sound?

Cheers
X

Jul 29, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #9 of 23
Cardas Quadlinks may be worth your while. They introduce that touch or warmth you mentioned. At least they do in my system.

Either way, may be worth your while to check out.

I use a single Analysis Plus Digital Oval to my DAC, another great interconnect.

That Woo looks pretty nice, I bet it sounds even better!

Jul 29, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #10 of 23
Thanks - I tried the Golden Reference recently (out of budget but a friend had a set I could audition) - a bit of an odd sound as I felt it was dark and warm overall but right up top tended to spotlight voices and instruments (peaky). I will read up on the Quadlink (also was recommened to check the Golden Cross).

I think what I am after isn't exactly warmth per se, more so a case of something very clean and smooth - especially for something like female vocals - and adding a bit of body/flesh.

Jul 29, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the input. I am wary of VdH as their cables (of which I have had 3 different types) have always suffered from softer transients and dynamics; with somewhat lean bass.

I know that Nordost are generally quick, cool, dry; but have read that the Heimdall are the exception - being characterised as slightly warm, even sweet, but retaining the speed Nordost is known for.

VDH's The Orchid is the exception to their usual "sound", being more like a Nordost cable. I switched back in the Heimdalls to compare -- they are a touch warmer with a more present mid-range. Both are very revealing, but I'd pick the Orchid as being less coloured and more accurate tonally. The Heimdall is also very flexible, while the Orchid is fairly stiff (with a central solid core), with a recommendation not to bend them too tightly, or the internal wires start to kink.

Jul 29, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #12 of 23
Tell truth, I've always had difficulty analyzing cable sound. To me, it is either right or it isn't. I used a set of Baldur interconnects happily with a tube amp, but they didn't seem right when i switched back to SS. The Heimdall alleviated the problem, and I stuck with it.

I certainly think it's possible that they compensated for some of that loss in midrange warmth, but they still sound fast as hell, which is what I love, without sounding brittle, edgy or bright.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks again for the feedback. Sherwood - do you find the Heimdall to have similar traits to the other Nordost cables (speed, attack, clarity but at the expense of being lean and somewhat bright) or do you find they lean more toward the warm / full-bodied sound?

Cheers
X

Jul 29, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #13 of 23
Thanks guys....the Heimdall certainly is appealing. The only other "box to tick" question I would have is in regard to its performance with vocals - if it is smooth and clear.

I have heard quite a few cables - even though warm and full (and sometimes even a little rolled off up top) - where vocals took on a fine-grained edginess holding them back from being what you could call "smooth".

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:58 AM Post #14 of 23
Sherwood: Now I think of it, did you ever get a chance to compare the Heimdalls with HeadphoneAddict's ALO SXC ICs? Some day I would like to do a Heimdall vs. The Orchid vs. ALO SXC vs. Enigma Audio Apex as they are all around the $400 mark (second hand in some cases).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back