About to order ER6i's; convince me I should get something ELSE.
Feb 8, 2007 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

luciobar1980

100+ Head-Fier
I can get the ER6i's for about $80. Anything in this range I should consider, taking everthything from SQ to Comfort to isolation into account? Thanks!
cool.gif

Feb 8, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #2 of 36
That's a good price. Sure, there are alternatives, but you wouldn't lose much if you decided to sell them. About the only concern with Etys is the comfort which is extremely on the uncomfortble side of things. Some people can get used to them, some cannot. But they're great at isolating and so on, so I think that's a good value.

Feb 8, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #5 of 36
If you're going to want isolation from your earphones - there is nothing better than Ety ER-6i (without additional modding cost/effort) at that aproximate cost. Mine are used for planes and trains w/Comply foamies. I strongly differ with Wmcmamus comments re their comfort - they are the smallest on the market (and ergo, the most comfortable outside of $$$$ customs [which are not part of this discussion]). There will be a microphonics issue (you will hear your steps, wind noise etc). ..................the flip side, if you are NOT concerned with isolation are the V-Moda Vibes. I was able to get a pair of them for $70, you may not find quite as good a deal right now - search. I would specifically recommend a color that comes with the cable they use on the Blackflash Chrome and Red Roxx - no microphonics at all, but you will be able to hear traffic noises. Good sound here too. In between is where the modded Altec Lansing iM716 fall - best used with an amp. and very comarable to ER-4.

Feb 8, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they are the smallest on the market (and ergo, the most comfortable outside of $$$$ customs

Please try anything from Westone and say this with a straight face.

Feb 8, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #7 of 36
or for a more effort-intensive experience - find someone who will recommend a Westone in the aprox. $80 category with a straight face.
If you were to say the new 3's or ES-2 - sure.......but the lessor ones -uh..uh (to put it mildly)
cool.gif

Feb 8, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or for a more effort-intensive experience - find someone who will recommend a Westone in the aprox. $80 category with a straight face.
If you were to say the new 3's or ES-2 - sure.......but the lessor ones -uh..uh (to put it mildly)
cool.gif

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. The UM1 is the only headphone I've ever been able to fall asleep wearing.

Feb 8, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #9 of 36
I got the er6i's for Xmas this year for use with my iPod.

I find them to be like a really hot girlfriend who is way needy. They sound really great, very clear and precise. You can't hear anything around you, however, and they are pretty uncomfortable. I got used to the feeling, but I wouldn't say they are comfortable. I don't even really like to walk around with them b/c I can hear the blood pounding in my head if I even slightly exert myself.

They are great for laying in bed or sitting in a chair and doing nothing but focusing on the music. They want your total attention.

In comparison, my sr60's are more like a loving wife. She's a little pudgier than the hot gfriend, but she's easy to have around. Not nearly as sexy sounding, but really easy to listen to, not at all fatiguing. I get a sore top of the head if I listen too long, but I can just rebend the strap thing. Not nearly as crisp, but a really nice sound.

Depends on what you're looking for. Just my two bits.

Feb 8, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #10 of 36
Surprised no one has mentioned the IM716 yet?

These things were almost FOTM a while back when Amazon had them for like $70.

Feb 8, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Surprised no one has mentioned the IM716 yet?

These things were almost FOTM a while back when Amazon had them for like $70.

Not as much a competitor at $105 though. Still a good deal, I think, but not in the $80 range.

Feb 8, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #12 of 36
hope you dont like bass :/

Feb 8, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #13 of 36
ahem..... MrVile - if you read the posts above, you should be able to note I DO mention iM716.
AND as Toastmaster mentions, no longer, even unmodded, in the sub $100 category

Feb 8, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by toastmaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not as much a competitor at $105 though. Still a good deal, I think, but not in the $80 range.

Aww that sucks that they jacked the price back up. If it hadn't been for that damn volume pot, I would've picked up a pair of these when they were cheap (I think it was about a year ago). Oh well.

Feb 8, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #15 of 36
I dig the ER-6i phones, and I never found them uncomfortable at all, actually. If sound isolation is a priority, they're hard to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back