Abbingdon Music Research DP-777 Thread
Dec 23, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #136 of 571

Thanks for the thoughts.  Definitely echoes a lot of my sentiments about the MSB (including all the goodness in the sound and the largest drawback being how easily oils and contact can damage it.)

Unfortunately, the power base addition adds 3K to the purchase price.  I remember going back and forth about it but seeing some actual internals of it (and having listened to it) it seems to have been a wise investment.

Dec 23, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #137 of 571
  Thanks for the thoughts.  Definitely echoes a lot of my sentiments about the MSB (including all the goodness in the sound and the largest drawback being how easily oils and contact can damage it.)

Unfortunately, the power base addition adds 3K to the purchase price.  I remember going back and forth about it but seeing some actual internals of it (and having listened to it) it seems to have been a wise investment.

Yea, the MSB is simply stunning aesthetically and sonically but the finish is just not robust. It is what it is I guess.

As for the power base, you're right I forgot it is a 3K upgrade. The stack together looks better for sure, but after reading about the internals the cost is a little more justifiable. 

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #138 of 571
RH, you still have your MSB or you've made the trade up to the totl platinum IV femto clock or whatever that is?

Also, slightly out of topic but I had the chance to hear your fabulous sounding electra through anakchan and he told me you sold off all your stat gear. What is your go to headphone these days that doesn't make you miss the electra + sr009/007mk1 experience?

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #139 of 571
I've parted ways with the Analog DAC with the intention of going higher up the MSB chain.  I have auditioned the Platinum and am now debating getting either it, the Signature, or (gasp) holding off until MSB's looks on the IV series catches up with the Analog DAC.  This may happen sooner than later as MSB has moved all chassis CNC in-house over the last year.  I really liked the sound of the IV+ platinum that I heard but aesthetics were definitely lacking.  I am in no rush as I have had a string of interesting less pricey DACs in and out of the house on audition since.  While I am convinced MSB is the way to go for the best possible mix of transparency, detail, and tone, there are a lot of good DACs out there for cheap that don't leave me wanting for all that much.

I haven't totally divorced myself from stat gear, I do have a DIYT2 that will hopefully be up and running in the not-too-distant future.  However, while I did have stats in the house for the couple years before that (4070, HE60, 007mk1, 009, BHSE, LL, Electra) I found myself not listening to them very much other than classical music and the great american songbook when I wanted to get my mellow on.  My go-to headphones have been a pair of HP1000's that have been uniquely modded (differently than Purrin's shout mod or Joe Grado's magic goo.)  They are tremendously engaging without being fatiguing, which I can't say about any headphone I've ever had.  Add the perfect tonality with vocals and strings and I rarely find myself reaching for anything else.  I like them so much I recently spent way too much on a second pair to have modded so that I'll have one at work and one at home, with ECP and Moth amplification.  I have the DSHA and Moth 2A3 set up for home use and the BD and a one-of-a-kind Moth amp at work. 

I have also been experimenting a lot lately with the K1000 and have enjoyed the results, though I can't listen for as extended a period as with the Grados, modded orthos, or CIEM's.  Still, get it right and they are quite good.  I have 4 pairs so am in the middle of constructing a harness to wear every pair at once in a surround sound configuration to have a true earspeaker.

I don't want to drag this thread too far off-topic so I'll leave my OT there. 

Dec 24, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #140 of 571
I don't want to drag this thread too far off-topic so I'll leave my OT there. 

Fair enough, was a nice read though and looking forward to more developments in other threads :wink:

Dec 26, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #141 of 571
Just had a listen again to Marantz CD6004 + ALO Studio 6 +HD800 at my local shop today and was pretty surprised how unclear and closed-in the music sounded this time round. Soundstage was unnaturally closed and 2-dimensional and I thought the sound was pretty veiled. I didn't feel this way when I heard the shop setup the first time, but I guess my home setup has improved since then. Goes to show that even an excellent amplifier can't perform miracle if your source is not up to the task. Really rubbish in = rubbish out.

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #142 of 571
Just had a listen again to Marantz CD6004 + ALO Studio 6 +HD800 at my local shop today and was pretty surprised how unclear and closed-in the music sounded this time round. Soundstage was unnaturally closed and 2-dimensional and I thought the sound was pretty veiled. I didn't feel this way when I heard the shop setup the first time, but I guess my home setup has improved since then. Goes to show that even an excellent amplifier can't perform miracle if your source is not up to the task. Really rubbish in = rubbish out.

Are you able to try the studio 6 with your dac?

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #143 of 571
Are you able to try the studio 6 with your dac?

No chance, the amplifier is down at the shop and it is priced higher than the original price of $5000, there is no way I am going to buy at that price to try it with my own system.

Dec 26, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #144 of 571
No chance, the amplifier is down at the shop and it is priced higher than the original price of $5000, there is no way I am going to buy at that price to try it with my own system.

Do you think the S6 is also at fault here? I heard the Studio 6 does not live up to its price point which in my opinion is over the top from a company that has to this point only made small portable or transportable stuff. 

Dec 26, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #145 of 571
Do you think the S6 is also at fault here? I heard the Studio 6 does not live up to its price point which in my opinion is over the top from a company that has to this point only made small portable or transportable stuff. 

Well, the new discounted price of $3900 does seem more reasonable and it is an amplifier that is pretty well-built. On top of that, the studio-6 has gathered great reviews all around.

Dec 26, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #146 of 571
Well, the new discounted price of $3900 does seem more reasonable and it is an amplifier that is pretty well-built. On top of that, the studio-6 has gathered great reviews all around.

That is still in direct competition with the big dogs including the DNA Stratus, EC 2A3, ZDSE, etc. I still would love to hear one, but I'm pretty sure it won't outperform any of those considering the initial impressions. 

Dec 28, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #148 of 571
Take your DAC to the store :) (Nah it's ok - too big for the trip maybe.. )

Ha... Dp-777 is one bulky dac to be moving around. Anyway, Studio 6 is not exactly under my radar. Getting it will mean replacing all my balanced headphone cables or getting compatible adapters for its SE headphone outputs.

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #149 of 571
Ha... Dp-777 is one bulky dac to be moving around. Anyway, Studio 6 is not exactly under my radar. Getting it will mean replacing all my balanced headphone cables or getting compatible adapters for its SE headphone outputs.

I was about to say... the DP-777 isn't a DAC you want to be moving around a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back