Abandoned San Francisco - Photography of the other side of SF
Sep 6, 2005 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Illah

1000+ Head-Fier
broken-windows-small.jpg

While tourists take pictures of iconic landmarks, I find this side of SF most interesting. I tend to look at things a little differently than most.

Abandoned San Francisco

--Illah

Sep 6, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #2 of 19
Nice shots, graffiti-remains.jpg is my fave.

Love going to the city every once in a while with friends and splurging on some good food/shopping.

cool.gif

Sep 6, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #3 of 19
These are wonderful! Are any of these available in a larger resolution?

Preferably 1600x1200
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #4 of 19
wow you have an amazing talent! major props to you

Sep 6, 2005 at 11:38 AM Post #7 of 19
Wow nice pics!

What camera did you use?

Sep 6, 2005 at 1:25 PM Post #8 of 19
Another target rich environment for you: Western Baltimore, Maryland...

...some of the most blasted out city scapes I have ever seen - it is just astounding...

Take great care, though - one of my best friends was doing the same sort of thing in rural Virginia, and was shot twice with a .44 Magnum...he lost a part of his Liver, but he did survive...

Sep 6, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by KYTGuy
Take great care, though - one of my best friends was doing the same sort of thing in rural Virginia, and was shot twice with a .44 Magnum...he lost a part of his Liver, but he did survive...

Suffering for his art indeed.

Sep 6, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #10 of 19
mmmmm, my home away from home.

thanks for the great pics!! the abandoned, industrial side of SF...good stuff, man. nicely composed shots. I'm also interested in what gear you used.

Sep 6, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #12 of 19
Don't forget that a lot of those buildings remain unused because of the cost of seismic retrofitting that would be required to occupy them now. The changes in building codes over the last 10-15 years are significant, and to renovate, a great deal of $$$$$$$$$$ is required to bring older buildings on teh West Coast up to code....

And no, I'm not just talking out of my ***** here, I'm a structural engineer...

Sep 6, 2005 at 7:25 PM Post #13 of 19
It's all a necessary part of the progess we make as a society. Not to get political, but one of the main reasons that so many industrial sites stay in their abandoned state forever and a day is that the environmental clean up costs to be compliant with various laws makes it prohibitive for inspiring companies to purchase abandoned sites - even if their plan is simply to knock it all down and start anew. It's a terrible quandry to be in - to have masses of land that has been deemed useless - and it's also a tough cost to pass on to taxpayers, so having Government clean it up is not necessarily the answer either. Oh well, it makes for great photo ops! Nice work.

Sep 6, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4
Don't forget that a lot of those buildings remain unused because of the cost of seismic retrofitting that would be required to occupy them now. The changes in building codes over the last 10-15 years are significant, and to renovate, a great deal of $$$$$$$$$$ is required to bring older buildings on teh West Coast up to code....

And no, I'm not just talking out of my ***** here, I'm a structural engineer...

We must have been posting at the same time. Interesting, what you've said about retrofitting. I was thinking more in terms of starting from a fresh slate, but many of those buildings still look useable.

Sep 6, 2005 at 9:58 PM Post #15 of 19
Thanks all! I shot this all with a Minolta Dimage Z1 and did a little cleanup here and there in Photoshop. It was shot mostly in the Dogpatch/China Basin area of SF, not Hunter's Point. I don't really want to be biking around Hunter's Point with a camera to be honest
smily_headphones1.gif

And about the delapidated buildings, I think the code issues are a major factor. Many of the buildings are marked with big 'UNSAFE' signs. Also most heavy industry has left SF, it's not a very cost effective town for that type of thing these days. The north end of China basin is being torn down and redeveloped into Biotech labs and residential/commercial stuff. Hell, the loft I'm in is surrounded by factories, but in 20 years I bet it's a power yuppie neighborhood (Potrero Hill). Half of Potrero Hill already is.

--Illah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back