A Very Compact Hybrid Amp
Apr 8, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #706 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate to be the one to disparage the idea of hooking two of these amps up balanced (as I floated the idea early on). But there are some technical hurdles due to the virtual ground levels. I think they're mentioned earlier in the thread...

I hadn't thought about that, good point. Well, I know I have lot's of other things that should be occupying my time, rather than thinking about such things.

Loving the sound of CBC Radio 2 right now via my K601's and CTH with an Amperex 6DJ8...

Apr 8, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #707 of 2,218
From AMB's Beta22 "other options" page.

balanced2.png

Apr 8, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #709 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From AMB's Beta22 "other options" page.

balanced2.png

Unfortunately, this is not quite the same situation. In AMB's case there is just ONE ground channel for both outputs. In the CTH there are, effectively, TWO ground channels and they are built in to the amp. How well the channels match depends on two things:

1. What the exact LV is. There is variation in regs and they will not be the same. This matters because the LV determines the OG (ground channel) voltage.

2. The actual splitter behavior (mostly determined by the TLE). These devices have tolerances too and they don't exactly split the rail in half.

So, the OL and OR or each amp will match the OG. Two amps tied together will have a DC offset across the headphones determined by how far apart the two OG's are.

This is not to say that it can't be done, only that some matching may be required.

If you guys really want a balanced version the designer should design one.
ph34r.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #710 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, this is not quite the same situation. In AMB's case there is just ONE ground channel for both outputs. In the CTH there are, effectively, TWO ground channels and they are built in to the amp. How well the channels match depends on two things:

1. What the exact LV is. There is variation in regs and they will not be the same. This matters because the LV determines the OG (ground channel) voltage.

2. The actual splitter behavior (mostly determined by the TLE). These devices have tolerances too and they don't exactly split the rail in half.

So, the OL and OR or each amp will match the OG. Two amps tied together will have a DC offset across the headphones determined by how far apart the two OG's are.

This is not to say that it can't be done, only that some matching may be required.

If you guys really want a balanced version the designer should design one.
ph34r.gif

LOL, you can design one if you like.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm not a balanced user.

Actually, in AMB's case, there are 2 ground channels, as that's wiring for a 6-channel Beta22.

The + and - are taken from the same side (1 ground for that side). The DC on that one side should be offset within itself by the + and -. G is not attached, so the DC floats.

I guess a more apropro situation is this (and less confusing though they are the same), with the M3.

balanced1.png

Apr 8, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #711 of 2,218
Mine arrived in the mail today. I'll be checking them out tomorrow...
dt880smile.png

Thanks again, Sachu.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A big thanks for all those who participated in the 6N1P tube group buy..

Those in the states should be receiving your tubes in a day or two at most and in a week for our friends abroad.

Payment has been received from everyone. Thank you very much all. Hope the tubes light up your eyes and warm your ears.

Cheers,
Sachu

Apr 9, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #714 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, and use moar tubes because they're pretty
biggrin.gif

I'm so shallow! hehe

heh..man you just built a SS and now you are spoiled Gary

Apr 9, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #716 of 2,218
The compatible tube list for this little jewel just keeps growing... I think it will encourage tube rolling madness. Sounds like smeggy is already infected
L3000.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #718 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was looking over the ... sackfull of components in wonderment.... that's a lot of stuff!

That's what she said, Smeggy old boy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back