A request to all owners of an Headphonia amplifier
Apr 6, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #151 of 303
Quote:

Originally Posted by dropkickduffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As we say in the legal community, this discussion is a quintessential example of "slippery slope".
rolleyes.gif

... or the second law of thermodynamics?
tongue.gif

Apr 6, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #152 of 303
Robert, rebuttal, if you would please good sir........

/He did say he was prepared to present the diagram today...

HERE:

Yesterday, 10:23 PM #96
Robert Gehrke

ProfileJoin Date: Nov 2005

IM Contacts
Jan, thank you for providing your circuit. Seems you wanted to be the first of us before I had released my circuit tomorrow morning (as I wrote you in my last email).

Apr 6, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #153 of 303
I have great hopes the in absence of an update on this issue, resolution is being worked out so that all three partys reputations called into question in this thread can be restored.
I for one, eagerly await the positive outcome in the form of an update in this thread.

Apr 7, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #154 of 303
Dear Headfellows,

Right now I'm enjoying a small holiday so I have not worked on a proposal towards Robert yet. Maybe by the middle of next week. We will see what will happen then. There are still a few aspects that I would like to think over (but not in my holiday!)

Today a friend helped me with his camera to make a few macro-shots of the Headphonia amp.

macro1.jpg

This first picture shows the crossfeed switch and the components of the filter. The values of the resistors can be easily recognized:

R5,6 1k5 Ohm
R7,8 3k3 Ohm

The capacitors are unlabeled but the response of the filter indicates the same value as in the PORTA CORDA III

macro2.jpg

This picture shows the resistors of the amplification stage of one of the channels:

R13 12k Ohm
R11 56k Ohm
R1 3k3 Ohm
R9 10k Ohm
R15 22k Ohm

Also shown are the class-A biasing resistors

R17,18 1k5 Ohm

Cheers

Jan

Apr 7, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #155 of 303
Thanks, Jan. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. I find Robert's silence and lack of follow-through mystifying. I hope he's willing to settle the issue without forcing you into the courts. I, for one, would think the better of him if he does.

Apr 7, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #156 of 303
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Meier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear Headfellows,

Right now I'm enjoying a small holiday so I have not worked on a proposal towards Robert yet. Maybe by the middle of next week. We will see what will happen then. There are still a few aspects that I would like to think over (but not in my holiday!)

Today a friend helped me with his camera to make a few macro-shots of the Headphonia amp.

macro1.jpg

This first picture shows the crossfeed switch and the components of the filter. The values of the resistors can be easily recognized:

R5,6 1k5 Ohm
R7,8 3k3 Ohm

The capacitors are unlabeled but the response of the filter indicates the same value as in the PORTA CORDA III

macro2.jpg

This picture shows the resistors of the amplification stage of one of the channels:

R13 12k Ohm
R11 56k Ohm
R1 3k3 Ohm
R9 10k Ohm
R15 22k Ohm

Also shown are the class-A biasing resistors

R17,18 1k5 Ohm

Cheers

Jan

A bit off subject, but is the board supposed to look that dirty? It doesn't look that professional to me, but I know little about DIY and amp-making.

Apr 7, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #157 of 303
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicomte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A bit off subject, but is the board supposed to look that dirty? It doesn't look that professional to me, but I know little about DIY and amp-making.

I agree, that is a crappy job.

Apr 7, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #159 of 303
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicomte /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ya that looks pretty bad, I opened both, my Porta Corda II and Larocco PRII and both looked perfectly clean.

Apr 7, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #160 of 303
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ya that looks pretty bad, I opened both, my Porta Corda II and Larocco PRII and both looked perfectly clean.

Also, the soldering looks rather sloppy.

If it is a knockoff, it's a rather poor quality one.
blink.gif

Apr 7, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #161 of 303
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As has been said: Why would R19 and R20 exist (again, in identical fashion to the Porta Corda, in Jan's assessment, which probably few, if any, who know him doubt) if only to short them with wire?

This IS the "smoking gun" IMO, needing to be verified by any owner for the debate to be settled.

Dr. Meier , would you have a photo of " R19 / R20 shorted out with wire ", for us to see ?

Apr 8, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #162 of 303
IIRC, there were claims that both amps had elements in common w/ a previous design. Should we not ask for photos and diagrams for these as well?

In general, the amount of evidence relative to words in this thread is scanty. Let's see more evidence.

And if one can't offer evidence w/o revealing trade secrets (or offering up customer info) both of which seem legit reasons, then please hire lawyers or seek some solution.

I suspect that it's such a small business that lawyers are not an option. One can't sell enough amps to hire lawyers and also eat. Not sure if one can sell enough amps to eat, anyway. Hence brinksmanship on both sides is the only option. If that is the case, let's see more evidence.

Apr 8, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #163 of 303
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandrake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IIRC, there were claims that both amps had elements in common w/ a previous design. Should we not ask for photos and diagrams for these as well?

In general, the amount of evidence relative to words in this thread is scanty. Let's see more evidence.

And if one can't offer evidence w/o revealing trade secrets (or offering up customer info) both of which seem legit reasons, then please hire lawyers or seek some solution.

I suspect that it's such a small business that lawyers are not an option. One can't sell enough amps to hire lawyers and also eat. Not sure if one can sell enough amps to eat, anyway. Hence brinksmanship on both sides is the only option. If that is the case, let's see more evidence.

Good points. And well said.

Apr 8, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #164 of 303
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then I guess you better watch what you type about others on the Web.

I guess also, then, I better delete every bad review or negative statement made about anyone, any business, anything.

We are mindful of liability exposure, and decisions regarding these forums are sometimes affected by that very thing. Nevertheless, I do thank you for your concern.

Thank you for upholding the constitution (1st amd) of this great nation!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #165 of 303
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dr. Meier , would you have a photo of " R19 / R20 shorted out with wire ", for us to see ?

Thank you for keeping the momentum moving forward in a civil manner. Your calm and patient style keeps the discussion under control and purposeful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back