A New Apex product!!! Name it HERE!!!
Oct 2, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #181 of 386
  Wonder why this desktop headphone amplifier running off a power supply is not designed with 1/4 headphone jack ? 

Could it be that it target market segment of mid-price full-size headphones  as nowadays they come standard with 1/8 inch jack ( eg grado ps500e, grado ps500e, focal spirit series headphones) ?

Simply, because it didn't fit!  I would have preferred the 1/4" jack...

There's a lot of stuff crammed into this little package.

Pete

Oct 2, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #184 of 386
The Maelstrom.

There are key marketing words on the meaning of this and the good news is that they are somewhat connected to the product:

A maelstrom (/ˈmlstrɒm/ or /ˈmlstrəm/) is a very powerful whirlpool; a large, swirling body of water. A free vortex, it has considerable downdraft.

It is (to me) the equivalent of a volcano but on the sea.
And it's perfect for 2 reasons:
I see that the product reminds to people  sea and water stuff .
Other products on the lineup are named like volcanos but this time we need something similar but water related.

There are a lot of great names but i think we need something that inspires THE POWER.

Stars, peaceful places, beautiful landscapes IMHO are not for this.

Because this is an amp, and we need to search to something topology/nature/geography related,
we need to find a name that suggests the power that this thing is going to unleash.

think about the beautiful elongated body
Think about the shape, the BIG  volume control rotates along with the blue leds. (And the maelstrom rotates)

**It is indeed geography related because there are permanent ones: corryvreckan et al.**

Unleash the power of the MAELSTROM!

Come on folks the more i think about it the more i like it:

"The power on the maelstrom is generated by the water that spins around, and the power of the amp is generated if you spin the big volume knob"

I love it
Period

Oct 2, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #188 of 386
The Apex Atoll.

Taken from Wikipedia:
An atoll (/ˈætɒl/ or /əˈtɒl/),[1] sometimes called a coral atoll, is a ring-shaped coral reef including a coral rim that encircles a lagoon partially or completely. There may be coral islands/cays on the rim.[2](p60) [3] The coral of the atoll often sits atop the rim of an extinct seamount or volcano which has eroded or subsided partially beneath the water. The lagoon forms over the volcanic crater or caldera while the higher rim remains above water or at shallow depths that permit the coral to grow and form the reefs.

Hence the name still pertains to a geological feature, refers to a feature of similar shape, and is still a peak. Seeing that this does not seem to be made to compete with the Teton or Pinnacle, it is not as tall, but a peak or pinnacle in its own right 
L3000.gif

The Apex Atoll: immerse yourself in the music.

Oct 2, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #191 of 386
  The Apex Atoll.

Taken from Wikipedia:
An atoll (/ˈætɒl/ or /əˈtɒl/),[1] sometimes called a coral atoll, is a ring-shaped coral reef including a coral rim that encircles a lagoon partially or completely. There may be coral islands/cays on the rim.[2](p60) [3] The coral of the atoll often sits atop the rim of an extinct seamount or volcano which has eroded or subsided partially beneath the water. The lagoon forms over the volcanic crater or caldera while the higher rim remains above water or at shallow depths that permit the coral to grow and form the reefs.

Hence the name still pertains to a geological feature, refers to a feature of similar shape, and is still a peak. Seeing that this does not seem to be made to compete with the Teton or Pinnacle, it is not as tall, but a peak or pinnacle in its own right 
L3000.gif

The Apex Atoll: immerse yourself in the music.

I really do like this one, and idk if it's intentional or not, but seems to refer to Bikini Atoll, where they also did nuclear bomb testing. (The amp looks like a bomb)

Oct 3, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #194 of 386
The Apex Conduit.  Because it looks kind of like a pipe or tube.. and it uses a (vacuum)tube! And it channels sound, of course.

edit:

conduit

[kon-dwit, -doo-it, -dyoo-it, -dit] 

noun
1. a pipe, tube, or the like, for conveying water or other fluid.
2. a similar natural passage.
3. Electricity. a structure containing one or more ducts.
4. Archaic. a fountain.

Oct 3, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #195 of 386
The Apex Tundra. 

The design reminds me of the kind of tough and hard-wearing building designed to withstand harsh climates. Practical and efficient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back