A little about the Shozy Alien
Nov 19, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #78 of 3,124
I think @goodvibes will be impressed. Keeping in mind I've only had a quick listen for 15 minutes on open box before giving Alien It's first charge the sound is quite pure, clean, detailed. And to be honest having no screen is actually fun. When you add the form factor and design (I mean Alien looks schiit hot in person) then throw the novelty of your favorutie audio hobby in the mix Alien is just a well thought out product. I have no problems with the UI, a quick look on the back of the box and it was like the back of my hand.

Keep in mind though it was only 15 minutes.

I'm using my Rhapsodio RDB Mini hybrid, I could not detect any hiss with this pairing.

I'll pop a photo up of my pairing later on.

Nov 19, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #82 of 3,124
Saw them for $249...thats a little high correct?

Yes, that's quite rich. Penon have them for $189: http://penonaudio.com/Shozy-Alien

See, I was told the price is going to be put up and it already has once from $169 last week (Penon)

Nov 19, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #83 of 3,124

Yes, that's quite rich. Penon have them for $189: http://penonaudio.com/Shozy-Alien

See, I was told the price is going to be put up and it already has once from $169 last week (Penon)

It's still same $179 when i was logged in with my account, i think.
@H20Fidelity can you share a pic of your Alien and C3 side by side? thanks

Nov 19, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #87 of 3,124
  thanks! it looks considerably longer, right? I thought they're having same size :frowning2:

I hope you don't mind sharing you finding sound between these 2 DAPs? Is it worth to trade off the very tiny lcd for sound quality improvement?

I dunno man, it sounds pretty good. 
biggrin.gif

With RDB Mini Alien puts out this 'high endish' sound that reminds me a little bit of Tralucents Dac Amp One used as a DAC.

Compared to C3 the Alien has better refinement and separation which in turn makes your music more coherent.

Alien has C3 beaten in soundstage width too. 

Yes, a little longer than C3.

Nov 20, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #88 of 3,124
Head-fi is a funny place. I got that Kogan thingy and it was cool but really, the RoCoo BA kinda smokes it overall. I sold the Kogan in no time, albeit at 1/2 the price I'm selling the BA for, yet no bites on the RoCoo after some days. This place really is product of the moment. I see lots of really good older items sit in BST for cheap when more current ones that may not be as musical sell rather quickly. If I like the Alien, it won't be because of the honeymoon. 

I was purging. What the hell is wrong with me?
confused_face(1).gif

Nov 20, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #89 of 3,124
  Head-fi is a funny place. I got that Kogan thingy and it was cool but really, the RoCoo BA kinda smokes it overall. I sold the Kogan in no time, albeit at 1/2 the price I'm selling the BA for, yet no bites on the RoCoo after some days. This place really is product of the moment. I see lots of really good older items sit in BST for cheap when more current ones that may not be as musical sell rather quickly. If I like the Alien, it won't be because of the honeymoon. 

confused_face(1).gif

Wasn't your Kogan unit a rebrand that we cannot prove are identical though?

You went ahead and got a sample from someone, not an actual Kogan unit from Australia.

Nov 20, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #90 of 3,124

confused_face(1).gif

I would personally feel let down by the Kogan based on the hype (no offense to owners), but the Alien is honestly in a different class and I have no need or desire to hype it. It's not the be all and end all, but it's very, very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back