A little about the Shozy Alien
Nov 13, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #31 of 3,124
Are you saying folders within folders? E.g. \Album Name\Disc 1\tracks.wav If so, that won't work. I'll test numbering and ordering now though in the same folder to see what happens

Yes, folders within a folder. 

Example:

[Taylor Swift Albums]

Album 1
Album 2
Album 3

I gather for this I will need to pull those albums out into the main root menu.

I'm only going to use a 16GB card to start off, I don't want to become too confused.

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #32 of 3,124

Yes, folders within a folder. 

Example:

[Taylor Swift Albums]

Album 1
Album 2
Album 3

I gather for this I will need to pull those albums out into the main root menu.

I'm only going to use a 16GB card to start off, I don't want to become too confused.

Yeah - it can only work with a single layer of folders (no sub folders). I've personally decided to go with album names and then a tagging protocol of disc number then track number then track name (not that the name really matters with no display) so my files are something like this:

\It All Starts With One\01-01 These Days.wav

Works perfectly so far although I'm having some trouble with the auto-conversion of hi res files (trying to go from 24/96 FLAC to 24/44 WAVE) in MediaMonkey, but I think this is a MM problem, not the Alien's fault

PS: Unlike the FiiO X5, the Alien handles the XX-YY numbering perfectly for correct disc and track number ordering

Nov 13, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #34 of 3,124
Alien :alien: on its way
biggrin.gif
...the price will increase to $200+ so guys buy it know while you can
smily_headphones1.gif
... The dx90 comparison pushed me over the edge :p .... Can't wait to get it with DHL shipping
biggrin.gif

Haha, it got the better of you. :wink: Welcome aboard, I'm quite keen for mine.

Nov 14, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #38 of 3,124
I did some short comparisons today with the X5 using SE846. Here are some brief thoughts:

X5: slightly stronger on micro details perhaps, definitely a drier treble which may be slightly more revealing, but soundstage seemed flatter which made instruments sound slightly artificial in comparison

Alien: warmer sound, but not thick / lush - just full and powerful, outstanding sense of weight to each instrument and great space and accuracy of placement in the soundstage

Overall, using HPOs I'd say they could be considered equal for different reasons, but I probably enjoy the Alien slightly more from a subjective standpoint

I then added the E12DIY and the Alien really wowed me. Everything about the X5 is also better via line -out, but the Alien's ability to create space around instruments and weight in the sound took it to a level I didn't expect. It's still a close call, but this time I'd call it a win for the Alien by a small, but definite margin.

Nov 14, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #39 of 3,124
I did some short comparisons today with the X5 using SE846. Here are some brief thoughts:

X5: slightly stronger on micro details perhaps, definitely a drier treble which may be slightly more revealing, but soundstage seemed flatter which made instruments sound slightly artificial in comparison

Alien: warmer sound, but not thick / lush - just full and powerful, outstanding sense of weight to each instrument and great space and accuracy of placement in the soundstage

Overall, using HPOs I'd say they could be considered equal for different reasons, but I probably enjoy the Alien slightly more from a subjective standpoint

I then added the E12DIY and the Alien really wowed me. Everything about the X5 is also better via line -out, but the Alien's ability to create space around instruments and weight in the sound took it to a level I didn't expect. It's still a close call, but this time I'd call it a win for the Alien by a small, but definite margin.

This is very interesting indeed! What about areas like instrument separation does the Alien show some ability here?

I am impressed at it taking on X5 and especially your conclusion (so far) knowing how much you like the FiiO.

Nov 14, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #40 of 3,124

This is very interesting indeed! What about areas like instrument separation does the Alien show some ability here?

I am impressed at it taking on X5 and especially your conclusion (so far) knowing how much you like the FiiO.

I've got some reviews to do (or at least start) this weekend including X1 / E11, Thinksound On1, and Shozy Alien so the Alien will get a solid workout and allow me to provide further (better) comparisons and comments in the coming days.

From what I heard today thought, the instrument separation is the key strength of the Alien IMO. The combination of space around each instrument plus the sense of weight given to each instrument is really something. I tried the first track on Sting's Brand New Day album (A Thousand Years, I think) and what really jumped out to me was the shaker (the little egg shaped percussion instruments) which is heard slightly left of centre. From the X5 the sound of the shaker was well-placed and clearly defined, but sounded like a 2D recording of a shaker. With the Alien, the shaker was equally well placed, but made the X5 seem slightly smeared (vertically) in comparison and the Alien version of the shaker had 3D depth and a sense of weight that made it sound absolutely real - like the shaker was within my reach.

Nov 14, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #45 of 3,124
I can't check card size without formatting my X5's 64Gb and then having to reload it later, but I can tell you that the 32Gb card holds more music than I'd want on the Alien because it gets very tedious skipping through folders one-by-one to get to an album in the middle of the library. I'm finding 10-12 albums is all I'd ever want. (Not saying you have to feel the same, just sharing my experiences)

As for real world battery life, I'll try to test today for you.

EDIT: just realised I can load 1-2 folders onto the card from my X5 because there's a teeny bit of space still so I'll try to test the 64Gb later too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back