A-H1N1 flu (swine flu): level 6, your take
Jun 12, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #3 of 24
Yeah. My friend got it last month and he's no more worse than he was before.

Jun 12, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #4 of 24
I read the stats for number of people infected and the number of people that has died from it and I calculated that the chance of dying from it is like 0,5% so I don't really see what all the panic is about.

Jun 12, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #5 of 24
I will be lying if I say I am not a bit concerned, but that won't stop me from heading out. In fact I'll be attending a musical in the Royal Albert Hall tomorrow evening.

I do have a box of Relenza hidden in my cupboard though, but I got that years ago. Not sure if it is still viable...

Jun 12, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 24
under great fear...people listen to anyone who offers a solution.

media tries to scare u ...so they can sell u things u dont need.

Jun 12, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #8 of 24
if you're healthy before you get it the swine flu won't kill you, I'm not concerned at all.

Jun 12, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #9 of 24
I'm not worried at all.

Here's a photo of my son and me playing in the backyard.

hazmat.jpg

Seriously, though, I'm not worried at all. I'm just getting over a flu now, and I have no idea what kind it was.

Jun 12, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #12 of 24
Level Six, in the case of H1N1, simply indicates the demographic distribution of the virus and not its severity. Since the Southern Hemisphere is now in the winter months, there has been an increased outbreak below the equator. North America and Europe, as well as Asia might experience a more virulent and sustained outbreak next winter. Countries not yet affected probably will begin to see cases of H1N1.

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #13 of 24
Catching swine flu is an awesome way to get a week or two off work and just sit around at home all day watching cable tv, surfing the net, renting dvds, playing games, and calling in pizzas.

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by tattoou2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Level Six, in the case of H1N1, simply indicates the demographic distribution of the virus and not its severity. Since the Southern Hemisphere is now in the winter months, there has been an increased outbreak below the equator. North America and Europe, as well as Asia might experience a more virulent and sustained outbreak next winter. Countries not yet affected probably will begin to see cases of H1N1.

Exactly right. The thing to watch for are mutations during the Winter months in the Southern hemisphere. The 1918 virus evolved in a similar manner, starting in the Spring in the Northern hemisphere as a mild flu and mutating over the Winter before returning to the US in the Fall.

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly right. The thing to watch for are mutations during the Winter months in the Southern hemisphere. The 1918 virus evolved in a similar manner, starting in the Spring in the Northern hemisphere as a mild flu and mutating over the Winter before returning to the US in the Fall.

It's very possible that two flu shots may be recomended by WHO and the CDC come fall and winter...one for the regular flu and one for H1N1. I heard in passing this morning that a pharmaceutical company already has made rapid gains in a vaccine weeks ahead of schedule.

As beerguy says, mutations can occur and the virus may become more severe later in the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back