A glimpse of life in Ecuador right now
Apr 17, 2005 at 6:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

ServinginEcuador

Founder of the Head-Fi Pay-to-Post Program.
Last Monday, the 11th, Diane and I left Ecuador three weeks earlier than planned due to some serious political issues/problems down there. The protests got so bad on the 6th that we got hit with some tear gas outside our apartment, which was TWO BLOCKS away from the Supreme Court building. We were waiting for a taxi to pass by near apartment when our eyes and noses starting burning. The taxi driver told us it was due to the protests going on due to the current President's actions while in office. They also announced on the 6th that they would shutdown the major highways around the country and the airport in Quito. Needless to say the wife and I figured it was time to split before things got ugly. Today we got an email about how badly things are going , and that it could turn bloody soon. THe local paper, EL Comercio, even listed the things permitted to do under the martial law in place on Quito as I type.

Here's the Reuter's article I was sent with a little info:

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=8201448

Our work in Ecuador was ending permanently on May 2nd, this just moved the timetable up three weeks. It's pretty sad to see what the President is doing, and his pardoning of the former presidents has caused some serious anger in Ecuador. The guy wants to abolish the political system and declare himself the dictator of the country.

And here's an article from El Comercio (en Español por supuesto):

http://www.elcomercio.com/noticias.asp?noid=125415

Apr 17, 2005 at 6:37 AM Post #3 of 26
What was your work, again? I'm sorry but i've forgotten. Was it something like Peace Corps?
confused.gif

I agree with Iron_Dreamer though, great to have you back.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2005 at 6:45 AM Post #4 of 26
WOW, is right! That's a scary situation, and such a shame that you had to leave Ecuador under those circumstances after many good years and lots of progress made through your missionary efforts. Give Diane my best, and tell her thanks for pulling you out of there before you decided to play hero! Nah, you're too smart for that, but do give her my best.

Apr 17, 2005 at 3:27 PM Post #8 of 26
Doug, I'm glad to hear you and Diane are OK. What are your future plans?

Apr 17, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #9 of 26
Glad to hear you and your wife are outside of Ecuador already. This past few weeks I haven't been in touch with international news, but just now reading the Sunday newspaper learned about the recent developmetns over there in Ecuador.

Apr 17, 2005 at 3:59 PM Post #11 of 26
Doug - I am glad that you and your wife are safely out of Ecuador, and I really appreciate the news articles. I've forwarded them to a family member who spent time in Ecuador, and is now taking courses in Latin American development.

Apr 17, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #12 of 26
Thanks for the encouragement guys, it's been a rough 1.5 weeks, but we're doing great. When we first got back it appeared that everything was fine, but now things are taking a turn for the worst. I do pray that it ends without violence or bloodshed.

On a side note, if someone says they want to pack-up their entire household, sell their stuff, and move in four days - smack them until they come to their senses!!! They'll thank you later, trust me.
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #13 of 26
Now that you are safe and sound, what is your next move? Are you venturing out into another 3rd World spot? Sticking around the US for a bit?

Apr 17, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
What are your future plans?

Hey Tom & Jason,

So far our plans are to find jobs here in the states, save-up as much money as possible while living with my in-laws, then move to Arizona where the home prices are still reasonable. Making under or around $20,000 for nearly six-years doesn't help with buying an entire household of goods, much less the cars needed for working. I'll be taking some college courses and such to help qualify for a better job, but haven't decided what to take of yet. If something comes up for working with computers or electronics I'll take that, otherwise teaching computer related software courses will suffice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back