A few questions about the RE0...
Jan 3, 2010 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

fraseyboy

Headphoneus Supremus
I am considering the RE0 as my next IEM but a few things are causing me to consider others.

Since I will be using this on a plane, it must be able to isolate well. Will the RE0 be able to isolate well enough for this? Also, I'm worried that on a plane, the lower frequencies may be drowned out and the bass won't be plentiful enough. Are my concerns justified?

The other IEMs I'm considering are the Klipsch Image S2 and the MEElectronics M6. Anyone heard all three? I'd be interested to hear how they compared for comfort too.

Thanks!

Jan 3, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #2 of 17
Maybe I just don't get a good seal, but for me the bass is a bit too low quantity when going by train. I just can't seem to get the amount of bass I want (and I'm no bass head). Some people seem to think that the bass is good, but I'm not one of them.

I listen at a low volume though. When raising the volume the bass appears more, but that's not how I like it.

I've only tried the supplied tips.

Jan 3, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #3 of 17
Have not heard the other two. However, I think your concerns are justified. RE0 have only average isolation at best. I get better isolation using comply tips, but don't find them comfortable. I am probably using the wrong size, but haven't shelled out the cash for more tips. This week I squeezed on ety triple flanges. These provide better isolation, but not as much as when used on my ety hf5. Problem is, I have a hard time removing the RE0 from my ear without the tips coming off.

As for bass, I can only get decent bass when amping these. EQing provides some bass, but it sounded weird to me.

Don't get me wrong. I love my RE0, now that I've amped them, but I wonder if they are for you, given your concerns.

Jan 3, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #4 of 17
If you are concerned about bass, you may want to consider the RE252 for a thicker kind of sound. Isolation is similar between the two, though I found that I had to use bigger tips for the RE252 as the insertion is a bit shallower.

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #7 of 17
Might as well put the klipsch s4 in there to. The s4 doesnt seem to isolate all that good till music is playing then its near impossible to be distracted. My re0 doesnt seem so much maybe cause the clarity and lack of bass.

Jan 3, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #8 of 17
From my experience, don't expect bass on an airplane. I used a Shure e2c back then, which had a ruler flat bass response, similar to the RE0, which I own now.

I was on a trip to China, and not only there was no bass, part of midrange was gone as well. It felt exactly like listening to music with only a tweeter (a tweeter still produce some midrange, albeit rolled off).

RE0 will not give you a satisfying isolation on a plane. My Shure, being much more isolating than the RE0, was barely passable (clear background noise while listening to music at low levels).

Jan 3, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by chengbin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From my experience, don't expect bass on an airplane. I used a Shure e2c back then, which had a ruler flat bass response, similar to the RE0, which I own now.

I was on a trip to China, and not only there was no bass, part of midrange was gone as well. It felt exactly like listening to music with only a tweeter (a tweeter still produce some midrange, albeit rolled off).

RE0 will not give you a satisfying isolation on a plane. My Shure, being much more isolating than the RE0, was barely passable (clear background noise while listening to music at low levels).

It had good bass? Because my RE0s kill my SCL3s in bass.

I wouldn't expect to do serious listening on an airplane. The noise on an airplane is roughly 80 dB. The best etys with the deepest tips isolate 42 dB, so you're still hearing maybe 38 dB or more. Mind you, you'll get little bass because you'll be able to hear the airplane's rumbles through vibrations in your body.

The RE0 isn't right for a plane, but you can get a pair of ety er6is for roughly the same price if not a little cheaper.

Jan 3, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #10 of 17
I'd stay with M6, because they are not bass light, they isolate well enough and are comfortable for a long flight. I would not need higher sound resolution in that environment, I won't be able to take advantage of it. M6 are quite detailed.

Jan 3, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaw2ek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This week I squeezed on ety triple flanges.

How'd you get them on? Don't etys have the same (smaller) tip size as the shures?

Jan 3, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you still have your im716?

Yeah, I do but they begin to hurt after an hour. After two hours they become unbearable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_recording /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are concerned about bass, you may want to consider the RE252 for a thicker kind of sound. Isolation is similar between the two, though I found that I had to use bigger tips for the RE252 as the insertion is a bit shallower.

I would but they're way over my budget. Same goes for the S4.

Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RE0 isn't right for a plane, but you can get a pair of ety er6is for roughly the same price if not a little cheaper.

I have owned the ER6i and they had the same comfort issues as the iM716, which is why I'm looking for something which doesn't insert as deeply, but still isolates reasonably well. I'm not expecting it to isolate as much as the iM716, I'd just like it to be able to block out most of the low drone of the plane.

I think the general consensus is the RE0 won't be suitable. Not many people seem to have the S2 so there's not much information on how it isolates. I don't know if the M6 will isolate enough yet since not many people have that either. Any ideas?

Jan 3, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #14 of 17
My budget is under $100. I did consider the PL-50 but I had concerns about isolation. I guess I'm not going to get much better isolation if I want it to be comfortable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back