$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Jun 5, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #3,076 of 6,549
FAT32 recommended by experiences. A Windows device driver required to use the USB dac mode. Try here. http://www.calyx.kr/xe/ 
If your PC is a desktop, backside USB ports are recommended.

Jun 5, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #3,077 of 6,549
Thanks, I will have to re-format the SD cards, which is annoying because it took hours getting music onto them for my AK120.

I bought the Calyx M at Addicted to Audio in Melbourne, who received stock a couple of days ago.

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #3,078 of 6,549
Okay, I managed to get some files on to the internal memory, and have been comparing them to my AK120 with my JH13 Pros. Initial impression is that the the AK120 is smoother, but sounds smaller. The Calyx M sounds more extended, particularly in the treble. A slight grain, but this could disappear with burn in. So far it sounds quite engaging, possibly better than the AK120.

One irritation with the UI is that it doesn't appear to show folders, only albums. As I plan to have 448GB of FLACs on it, and don't like using playlists, this will prove a little cumbersome.

I'm at work so can't spend too much time with it, and will give some more impressions later.

Jun 5, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #3,079 of 6,549
  Thanks, I will have to re-format the SD cards, which is annoying because it took hours getting music onto them for my AK120.

I bought the Calyx M at Addicted to Audio in Melbourne, who received stock a couple of days ago.

Unfortunately, Addicted Audio guys don't sell their products outside of Australia :/ 
I wonder when we will see Calyx M on Amazon or Ebay. 

And I totally agree that Calyx M should support folder view function. Without that function, there's no way anyone can organize 440GB of flac files one by one. Hopefully, Calyx CEO reads this and update Calyx M's firmware.

Jun 5, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #3,080 of 6,549
  Unfortunately, Addicted Audio guys don't sell their products outside of Australia :/ 
I wonder when we will see Calyx M on Amazon or Ebay. 

And I totally agree that Calyx M should support folder view function. Without that function, there's no way anyone can organize 440GB of flac files one by one. Hopefully, Calyx CEO reads this and update Calyx M's firmware.

They have already stated folder view is coming with firmware updates.

The Australian pricing is expensive. $1399 when it is listed at $999... still i guess you would get some back on the exchange rate. 

Jun 5, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #3,081 of 6,549

They have already stated folder view is coming with firmware updates.

The Australian pricing is expensive. $1399 when it is listed at $999... still i guess you would get some back on the exchange rate. 

so any idea on U.S release date at all? I've been asking this for a while but it seems like no one knows yet.

It's good to hear about the firmware update.
Any developer who makes a DAP without folder view are not true music fans who never tried to collect many flac files. Folder view is something must be included...

Jun 5, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #3,082 of 6,549
I have spent some more time swapping back and forth between the AK120. The Calyx M is sounding great, and clearly better than the AK120. The bass is tighter and deeper, the highs are more extended, a sweeter midrange, more detail, better dynamics ... the AK120 sounds shut in, dull and colourless by comparison. Later I will compare it with my Hugo, and also try it as a source through my main system as a DAC.

Jun 5, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #3,083 of 6,549
  I have spent some more time swapping back and forth between the AK120. The Calyx M is sounding great, and clearly better than the AK120. The bass is tighter and deeper, the highs are more extended, a sweeter midrange, more detail, better dynamics ... the AK120 sounds shut in, dull and colourless by comparison. Later I will compare it with my Hugo, and also try it as a source through my main system as a DAC.

I am delighted to hear this. Does this comparison apply to your IEMs? For example, the JH13 Pro?

Jun 5, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #3,084 of 6,549

Well that makes a nice change of pace. Nice to hear something positive about the SQ. Very interested to hear further comparisons.

Jun 5, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #3,086 of 6,549
Any hiss, noise, pops at full volume with no music playing when using the JH13?

No hiss detected with my jh13fp or tg334 when I demoed. This is at normal listening volume which is probably at 20% or even less.

Jun 5, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #3,090 of 6,549
Looks like Ross got the Choo Choo train running again.  

Quote:
  Okay, I managed to get some files on to the internal memory, and have been comparing them to my AK120 with my JH13 Pros. Initial impression is that the the AK120 is smoother, but sounds smaller. The Calyx M sounds more extended, particularly in the treble. A slight grain, but this could disappear with burn in. So far it sounds quite engaging, possibly better than the AK120.

One irritation with the UI is that it doesn't appear to show folders, only albums. As I plan to have 448GB of FLACs on it, and don't like using playlists, this will prove a little cumbersome.

I'm at work so can't spend too much time with it, and will give some more impressions later.

AK120 could be smoother because of the Wolfson, I think wolfson sig is inoffensive, kinda laid back.  From my experiences the ES90XX has slight offense, the treble can be a bit forward.  I think punchy is the way to describe ES90XX implementations?  ES series seems to make textures noticible, and comes off having treble extension.  I think the grain would be be on a ES90XX than a Wolfson, of course it depends on you phones also, but JH13 I heard is one of the more transparent ones.

Looking forward to the M vs Hugo.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back