Oct 29, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #166 of 483
Incidentally, I will officially recant my earlier comment about selling my mRendu. I have continued to listen and upon revisiting the comparison, now feel that the mRendu/LPS-1 combo is probably better for most people

I went to the forums looking for your mRendu, but couldn't find it. So this is good to read as I now know I'm not crazy and you just lied :wink:

Good to hear the update. I've still yet to try the mRendu, but am really happy to hear all the good results from all the different corners of audio right now.

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #167 of 483
The microRendu is running substantially cooler now fed with 7 volts by the LPS-1, as opposed to 9 volts from the iPower. I was never too alarmed at the temperature with the iPower, but certainly cooler is better for electronics longevity.

On that topic, the LPS-1 itself runs very warm to hot, completely normal according to John Swenson, but as with above, I can't help but think it will live a longer life at a lower operating temperature.

With that in mind, I added a couple of heat sinks to the top of the LPS-1 case. Overkill perhaps, but at 10 bucks shipped from Hong Kong, a very effective solution, it now seems barely warm to the touch:

Not the prettiest aesthetically speaking, but I can live with it.

Do you have a link to the heat sinks you purchased?

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #170 of 483
Has anyone had heat problems with the microrendu when it is attached to the yggy. There ask because I have read some reports the the yggy causes the mircorendu to become hit and it must be disconnected when not in use because of the yggy USB power affect

Dec 11, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #171 of 483
Has anyone had heat problems with the microrendu when it is attached to the yggy. There ask because I have read some reports the the yggy causes the mircorendu to become hit and it must be disconnected when not in use because of the yggy USB power affect

that seems a bit off -- the only reports i've seen have said the microrendu runs warmer when higher voltages (e.g. 9v from the ifi power supply) are used to power it.  if you drop the input voltage to 7v, the microrendu runs pretty cool.

Jan 8, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #172 of 483
Sorry to ask a newb question here. I'm putting together an office head-fi rig. Using a combined amp/DAC. My office PC is Windows 10. Wondering how best I can integrate a microrendu into this chain? I figure this would be a better way to serve music than my crappy office PC!

I'd use mostly Tidal and will have a portable HD that stores my hi-res files. Open to using Roon. Totally clueless when it comes to PC-fi, so thanks in advance!

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #173 of 483
Hi latestyle, I've only just started using Roon 1.2 (previously used JRMC and HQ Player), so I don't know all its ins and outs yet,
But I do know that it sounds better than HQP using my Windows 10 laptop > ethernet > mR > USB > DAVE DAC. A router is required to allocate the IP address and bridging for the mR, although various ideas are being discussed by power users to get around this. But you need a router anyway for Tidal.

As Roon is apparently great at integrating Tidal, and the hugely bigger 1.3 release is just round the corner, then my recommendation is go Roon, as long as your wallet can handle the higher price (compared to other music apps).

Jan 9, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #174 of 483
  Hi latestyle, I've only just started using Roon 1.2 (previously used JRMC and HQ Player), so I don't know all its ins and outs yet,
But I do know that it sounds better than HQP using my Windows 10 laptop > ethernet > mR > USB > DAVE DAC. A router is required to allocate the IP address and bridging for the mR, although various ideas are being discussed by power users to get around this. But you need a router anyway for Tidal.

As Roon is apparently great at integrating Tidal, and the hugely bigger 1.3 release is just round the corner, then my recommendation is go Roon, as long as your wallet can handle the higher price (compared to other music apps).

Thanks, TheAttorney! Please indulge my idiocy - how are you handling the Windows 10 laptop > ethernet > mR? Just through a router? When using a laptop in a small office where you can't separate the PC from mR, wouldn't it be better off to go straight from PC to DAC, maybe with Regen or something like that rather than adding another chain via mR?

Jan 9, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #175 of 483
I have my laptop connected by wifi to a router. Then an ethernet cable from router to mR, then USB cable to DAC.

This sounds much better than laptop > USB cable > DAC. I haven't tried regen, but more knowlegeable people than I say mR is better - even with the router in the way..
It can get quite complicated. You need to read the last few pages of this thread below, then go for more details at CA than you could possibly imagine!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/787020/review-comparison-of-5-high-end-digital-music-servers-aurender-n10-cad-cat-server-totaldac-d1-server-auralic-aries-audiophile-vortex-box/705

Try from page 41 for the mR stuff, although the whole thread is educational

Jan 9, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #176 of 483
Thanks!

Jan 22, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #177 of 483
subbed to this thread.
darko, in his review of the new  kef ls 50 wls powered speakers (his product of the yr)
also refers to the micro rendu
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/12/kef-ls50-wireless-review-dars-product-of-the-year-2016/#comment-140447

still trying to understand its place in my desktop setup
laptop to dac to powered speakers

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #178 of 483
  subbed to this thread.
darko, in his review of the new  kef ls 50 wls powered speakers (his product of the yr)
also refers to the micro rendu
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/12/kef-ls50-wireless-review-dars-product-of-the-year-2016/#comment-140447

still trying to understand its place in my desktop setup
laptop to dac to powered speakers

It's going to be NAS -> MR -> DAC. Use your laptop as remote control for the MR through HQ player or ROON.

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #179 of 483
thanks...someone also suggested to go optical...this way i can avoid the micro rendu
this chap also suggested this for desktop audio (to dac to powered speakers)

his thoughts below

Put one of these in the audio circuit and the veiling will be gone...https://www.amazon.com/BBE-Sound-482i-Sonic-Maximizer/dp/B0002FDKIW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485136499&sr=8-1&keywords=482i+sonic+maximizer   

.... Tweak the bottom end until it sounds balanced.  No need for a sub woofer if the speakers are of high enough quality in many cases...  and, I advise keeping off the high end process unless your speakers really need it.

The heart of this unit is the NJM2153 chip made by NJR Corporation. Its the same company that gave us the audiophile Muses 01 and 02 chips.  It was designed to counter the veiling effect found in speakers.   All you interconnects and cables will suddenly reveal their strengths, or weaknesses.  Why?  Transparency.

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #180 of 483
^ I go for a purist approach and avoid any external DSP (not the DSP that's inside a DAC) nor analog signal processing for speakers. If you have a transparent sound speaker, I think this would be detrimental since the speaker will overemphasize certain frequencies and that makes the sound unnatural. I'd rather invest my money on good speakers instead of trying to tweak a veil-sounding speakers, but that's just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back