8.8 EarthQuake in Chile
Feb 27, 2010 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Drag0n

Headphoneus Supremus
Powerful earthquake rattles Chile; tsunami warning issued - CNN.com

A 8.5 earthquake hit Chile at 1:30am est, and then at about 3:00am est a 8.8 hit.

Doesnt sound like alot of fun. No damage or deaths reported yet, but the story is still developing.

Lets hope a Tsunami doesnt hit any of us!
eek.gif

**Thanks, title corrected from 9.8 to 8.8 because of typo.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #3 of 39
9.8? Holy crap. That's a shaker. I hope damage is just limited to structures, but that's unlikely with one that big. I've been through (I think) about a 7, but the scale is not linear... a 9.8 is just frightening.

Feb 27, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #4 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
9.8? Holy crap. That's a shaker. I hope damage is just limited to structures, but that's unlikely with one that big. I've been through (I think) about a 7, but the scale is not linear... a 9.8 is just frightening.

I think it's a typo - the linked article states 8.8. Still, that's pretty insane.

Feb 27, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #9 of 39
OMG 9.8 or 8.8, that's still a huge quake. That will knock you off your feet. I do hope they're alright. I haven't seen numbers like that in quite a while.

Feb 27, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #12 of 39
I can't even imagine 8.8. I remember the Northridge Earthquake here hitting at 6.7 back in 1994. That was 72 deaths and 9000 injured. Freeway overpasses collapsed and houses were leveled at $20 billion in damages. I can't even imagine the final casualties and damages of this one. Hope and prayers for a safe and fast recovery...

Feb 27, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
47 confirmed according to CNN as of right now. They also expanded tsunami warnings to pretty much all coasts along the Pacific..

A TSUNAMI WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR CHILE / PERU / ECUADOR / COLOMBIA / ANTARCTICA / PANAMA / COSTA RICA / NICARAGUA / PITCAIRN / HONDURAS / EL SALVADOR / GUATEMALA / FR. POLYNESIA / MEXICO / COOK ISLANDS / KIRIBATI / KERMADEC IS / NIUE / NEW ZEALAND / TONGA / AMERICAN SAMOA / SAMOA / JARVIS IS. / WALLIS-FUTUNA / TOKELAU / FIJI / AUSTRALIA / HAWAII / PALMYRA IS. / TUVALU / VANUATU / HOWLAND-BAKER / NEW CALEDONIA / JOHNSTON IS. / SOLOMON IS. / NAURU / MARSHALL IS. / MIDWAY IS. / KOSRAE / PAPUA NEW GUINEA / POHNPEI / WAKE IS. / CHUUK / RUSSIA / MARCUS IS. / INDONESIA / N. MARIANAS / GUAM / YAP / BELAU / JAPAN / PHILIPPINES / CHINESE TAIPEI

eek.gif

Feb 27, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #14 of 39
Think of the enormous tsunamis that have hit the places right of the coast. As I said earlier, I was in Chile a couple years back and was in a hotel in Vina del Mar literally right off the coast. I can't imagine how terrifying it would have been to feel that quake and/or look off the balcony to the ocean just a few dozen feet away and see the water recede or the actual tsunami hit.

It's going to look terrible when footage comes in of the coastline in daylight. I hope casualties and injuries are as low as possible..

Feb 27, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #15 of 39
You serious?!
eek.gif
This is going to have major repercussions. Brace yourself and watch the stock market drop in addition to the casualties of the quake.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back