6/27/15 Denver CO meet impressions
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 28, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #16 of 40
This was a great introduction and first meet experience.  The highlight for me was meeting all you fine folks. I'd like to chime in as well with a thank you to Asr for getting this off the ground and for everyone else for laying out a great spread of gear and a very friendly and easily approachable demeanor.  It was great fun to wander around and sample all the great sounding music and gear. 

- I enjoyed Audiocats resistor switchbox a great deal and had always wondered what it would be like to move between the sonic experience of some famous resistors in real time.  Very cool!  
- I also dug the flat-out gorgeous vacuum tube cases.  Hopefully somebody snapped some good pictures of those.
- It struck me how much fun it was to just hang out enjoy the camaraderie of a group of folks engaged in the same bizarre passion of high end audio reproduction. 

Other highlights:

Crack amp builds
Elekit tu-8200dx
Mad Dogs
Discovering Katie Melua

Thank you!

Jun 28, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #17 of 40

I really enjoyed meeting/chatting with everyone and I agree with bixby, this was the best meet I've been to and it was a nice way to get some pre-impressions for some of the gear we'll see again in October.  Some very nice gear and cool modifications this year; I especially liked the Glenlivet Scotch case as well as the modified Havana, very cool!

I'll try to get some pictures and more impressions up soon.  Thanks again to everyone who participated! 

WOW.. I forgot to mention this... those cases and the home brewed and built electronics that AudioCats had there were super cool and sounded great ... With everything going on I did not get a chance to talk to him about them more. I saw his boards and listened though... great stuff!

Jun 29, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #18 of 40
Hey there. Ryan and I just returned to New Mexico. What a great time in Denver. After the meet we went to Twist and Shout and to Wax Trax and blew a little over $300 on used vinyl. Very fun. They had a novel new use for headphones: a Restroom keychain!

I ended up with an extra 1/8" to 1/4 inch screw on adapter with a wide screw end, and I'm missing a monoprice premium 18" RCA pair to RCA pair cable. No biggy as it's not that expensive. I'm also missing a 1/8 to 1/4 screw on adapter, but a "normal" one. Not to expensive to get either. If you happen to have with of these "extra" items in your kit, let me know if you can mail them to me. Here's the "extra" adapter I ended up coming hope with. 

Again, wonderful trip and I will be posting my pictures soon.

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #19 of 40
Would've posted here sooner but had some ISP issues last night that prevented me from getting online.

Thanks to all who came and made this one of the best-attended CO meets! It was great to meet so many new people and catch up again with familiar faces as well. I ended up not listening to as much gear as I would've liked, but still had a ton of fun anyway. The time sure flew by and before I knew it, the meet was over. Still not sure why so many people left so early when we had the room until 4:30, I got really confused by that. In any case, it was a great day full of crazy fun and really cool people.

I ended up receiving a surplus of cash which I'd wanted to avoid, in the amount of $17 over the $70 that was paid for the room (for a total of $87 received). Now the last time I had a meet surplus, I used it for a charitable donation to the Red Cross, but since I got the impression some folks would've liked a 2nd meet this year, I'm willing to throw out an alternate idea: how about establishing the funds towards another meet this summer?
biggrin.gif

So if there's sufficient interest (let's say at least 5 people) for another meet this summer I'm totally up for it! Feel free to cast votes for either 8/8 or 8/15 and I'll see what I can to do to secure either the same venue we just used, or possibly an alternate location if folks would prefer a different one. (I really liked the Sam Gary library myself but would be willing to look elsewhere.)

Oh and I do have some photos + impressions that will come later. Unfortunately for the first time ever I forgot to bring my DSLR camera to a meet, so my photos will be crappy smartphone pics.....

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #20 of 40
Some place in a refrigerator.

Jun 29, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #22 of 40
I had a great time at the meet- thank you for putting it together ASR!

This was my first local meet experience, and I was just blown away- lots of fun stuff to listen to, and a TON of great people to talk to!

I'd be in for an 8/8 event if that worked out for the group...and I promise note to leave early this time! (Had to get out around 2 to help with the kiddos...the joys of local meets!)

Thanks again for showing this newbie a great time everyone

Jeff

Jun 29, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #24 of 40

I would be up for another meet. I think either date would work for me. I have some photos as well. Just need to get tem off of the phone and see if any are worth posting.

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #26 of 40
I wish I could have made this meet. I love Asr's posts in the music forums vindicating the virtuosity of electronic music.

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #27 of 40
Here's my impressions. HOLY HEADPHONES, BATMAN! There was some cool and complex stuff at the meet. I have to admit I was socializing too much and not listening enough, and when I did listen, I wasn't taking notes. Unfortunately there is a tradeoff to having a large meet: noise. That said, two things stuck in my mind. 1) the T90's are better than the DT-990-250's. Good enough better than I will be monitoring the classified forums. The second observation is "no women". Not a one.

At any rate, great headphones, great tubes, great amps, great conversations. The knowledge level of the ones really into this hoppy is expansive and impressive. 

At any rate, here are my pics:

Jun 29, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #29 of 40
Great idea on having another meet in Aug. Either date will work for me.

It will be great if this follow up meet can happen. I figured out which direction I might want to go at the 6/27 meet, it will be ideal to have a chance to do some more concentrated comparison sometime soon.

I hope to be able to
* do more listening with HD800, on my 5687 SRPP amp. This might be a good "all day listening" system, considering the HD800 is super comfy and the cups are breathable. 
* do further comparison on HE400i + HCC86  vs.  Stax 303 (will have 507 pads by then) + Stax amp combo.

*And maybe get more people to take the "sound of resistors" challenge
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back