$500 for an Amp and Dac
Jan 19, 2018 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

loki993

500+ Head-Fier
I have 500 dollars to spend on an amp and a dac.

My initial thought is to get the Magni 3 and a Modi Multibit.

For the money is there anything else I should be looking at?

Jan 19, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #3 of 13
Jan 20, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #4 of 13
I just purchased a Schiit Audio Modi 2 Multibit/Vali 2 combo. I'm very impressed with the build quality, ease of use, and sound signature. I've only listened with my DT-880 and SR-80e so far, and I haven't swapped out the stock tube - so much more fun to be had! This is the first Amp/DAC I've purchased sine I purchased a HeadRoom Micro Amp/Micro DAC stack over 10 years ago. Good things come to those who wait, I suppose.

Jan 20, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #7 of 13
The ifi micro black label is pretty good for what it is and it's size. From what I've read though, strictly desktop use that suggested audio gd would be the better choice. I do miss my nfb 10se and would buy another audio gd product if I used my home rig more.

Jan 20, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #9 of 13
yeah I might be. The other thing about the Chord though is its portable and I cant see how a portable amp could be comparative to a desktop one powerwise. If they made a reasonably priced DAC I could go for that, but I would maybe think about about using the mojo as just a dac and then it throws my cost ratio off. What do they go for used generally?

Jan 20, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #10 of 13
yeah I might be. The other thing about the Chord though is its portable and I cant see how a portable amp could be comparative to a desktop one powerwise. If they made a reasonably priced DAC I could go for that, but I would maybe think about about using the mojo as just a dac and then it throws my cost ratio off. What do they go for used generally?

The fact that it is small says nothing, and the fact that it has less power than some amps is typically irrelevant because that extra power is never used in the first place unless the headphones are very hard to drive. The Mojo has more than enough power to drive nearly all headphones. I drove tons of headphones with it and none even came close to pushing its limits. And FYI, I heard next to no difference between the Mojo and $4,300 430HAD (which can output up to 8 watts at 50 ohms) when driving the HD 800.

Here are the maximum output power specs of the Mojo, Hugo, and Hugo TT:
600 ohms: 35 mW
300 ohms: 70 mW
56 ohms: 320 mW
32 ohms: 600 mW
8 ohms: 720 mW

The amplification in Chord DAC/amps is in the DAC's analog output stage and is cleaner than even the line outs of conventional DACs. It's akin to listening directly to the DAC, but with more power than usual. (And 500 mA current in the case of the Mojo.) Adding an external amp degrades the signal, though some prefer coloration.

You should be able to find it used for under $400. (It's currently $529 new in the US.)

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #12 of 13
Let me see if I get it, do not you like Audio GD because of the looks of your products ?

No I dont like Audio Gd because of the convoluted ordering process, having to return something to china on my dime if it fails doesn't sound like a good time either. But mostly I dont think I would like the way they sound, there are other places on the internet that dont like the way audio GD stuff sounds and frankly, no offense, but I trust them more than the people here.

Jan 21, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #13 of 13
No I dont like Audio Gd because of the convoluted ordering process, having to return something to china on my dime if it fails doesn't sound like a good time either. But mostly I dont think I would like the way they sound, there are other places on the internet that dont like the way audio GD stuff sounds and frankly, no offense, but I trust them more than the people here.
Well, if this is the case then you can buy through a reseller site like this for example:
https://www.magnahifi.com/en/webshop/category/audio-gd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back