$500-1000 DAC recomendations?
Jun 9, 2008 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

el_matt0

1000+ Head-Fier
looking for recomendations/options for a DAC in the 500-1000 kind of price range. Used items are fine (so the MRSP can theoretically be higher than 1000 if i can get it used for less than that). I don't need it to have balanced outputs. I need at least 2 optical inputs, 1 coax, 1 toslink, or alternatively 1 optical input and a USB in. Other than that, just at least 2 sets of RCA outputs would be ideal, more is better i guess.

in terms of sound signature, im looking for something that will pair up fairly nicely with an electrostatic amp. amps ive potentially considered for down the line to pair up with this dac, some of the higher end stax offerings, perhaps a woo audio GES...something of that sort. I'd also really like to have the ability to plug in a single ended dynamic amp as well. i know of both the benchmark dac-1 and the apogee mini-dac in that kind of approximate price bracket, but both have the balanced outputs which i don't really need at this stage.

Jun 9, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #2 of 15
You will find nothing better than the Monarchy M24 (see all the reviews).

You can sometimes find them on Audiogon, for $800-$1000.

Jun 9, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #3 of 15
A used Parasound D/AC 1600 does the trick for me. Doesn't do USB but does have the 2 toslink, two coax connections, HDCD and it's balanced capable (XLR) as well. I've seen them sell in the 450-550 range but someone listed/sold one on Audiogon for $150 in the last week.

Jun 9, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #4 of 15
the m24 looks fantastic, almost exactly what i was looking for. can you elaborate on its functions, i am a tad confused by the fact it has a tube line preamp, a tube dac, and a solid state dac? so one set of RCA outputs has a tube output stage from the DAC, one doesnt? what is this i can see in one diagram that mentions using a coupling transformer or something is recommended when using the solid state dac outputs (or do you always just use the tube dac outputs and forego this step?). so i assume the knob on the front simply only controls the "power amp" out, which ud run to either speakers or headphones (with an adapter)?

Jun 9, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 15
Lavry DA10 for me...two of 'em.

Jun 10, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #7 of 15
the lavry only has balanced outputs though? no RCA's?

Jun 10, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #8 of 15
I'm liking my Lavry. (though I've only tried the EMU-0404 & Electrocompaniet ECD1)
I really like to have a neutral sounding DAC, because it simplifies a lot of things. (for ex: the Electrocompaniet didn't have synergy well with the HD650s - too much warmth)
Lavry DA10 is a $1000 DAC & a $600 headphone amp which is great in case you need to downsize and have headphones that need an amp.
They usually run from $800-900 used.

Yeah the Lavry has balanced output only.

Jun 18, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will find nothing better than the Monarchy M24 (see all the reviews).

You can sometimes find them on Audiogon, for $800-$1000.

Kora Hermes trumps the M24 in every way. Occasionally you can find them used at 1000 price point on audiogon.

Jun 18, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #10 of 15
So far I'm mesmerized with CEC DA53 > X-Cans v3>AKG701 combo.
This comes in your price range + USB support.
This is totally different sound than Benchmark - more body and - as my wife said - more emotions and life in Maria Callas voice.

Jun 18, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #11 of 15
I'd always recommend a Dac1 in this price range, though the Lavry and Stello are similar options I guess.

Jun 18, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #12 of 15
go stello da100 + hp100 if u are not going balanced.

most bang for buck.

other than that, benchmark dac1 and lavry da10 are in the same league.

of u have more money, go grace m902. but i think that is 2000+?

i think go either of the above listed is a safe choice....

i would not go for china stuff, like zero...

cos... zero has zero resale value too....

no, i was being mean.

the resale value of benchmark, lavry and stello seems to hold up much better against depreciation.

Jun 18, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #13 of 15
I recommend you hear the products first (as many as possible) before purchase - your taste & opinion may differ to reviewers' opinions. You might actually change your mind after hearing them.

Jun 20, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #15 of 15
thanks guys, I've actually managed to get a pretty good deal on a couple month old Monarchy NM24 via Audiogon, so I'm going to give that a try first. If for whatever reason I'm displeased, I suspect I'll stray to a safe bet like the lavry or something along those lines, since I actually paid more for the NM24 than I suspect I'd have to pay to get a lavry or a benchmark dac1. Thanks for all the tips though, very very useful

Users who are viewing this thread

Back