$450 budget what dac?
Aug 18, 2007 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

spacemanspliff

Headphoneus Supremus
I am seriously considering the Oritek ZHalou as I already have a stock 2.5C. I have Beyer 880s with Cardas and the source is the Coax out of my X-Fi. What other options should I consider? I want soundstage and detail.

Aug 18, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 74
I'm planning on purchasing a DAC in the midterm so I've been doing a lot of research lately. From what I've found, the Ori Zhalou and the Citypulse 7.2x seem to be the best options in this bracket. I'm saving for a 7.2x myself.

Aug 18, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #4 of 74
soundstage is something I believe the OMZ excels at, don't really have a reference point for detail other than my DAC-AH and 0404 but the OMZ easily bests those two for detail

i believe the OMZ is one of the best value sources

Aug 18, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #6 of 74
To which I would say that all the previous suggestions are overpriced when compared to the all new Beresford TC-7510 in its MK6 disguise. Not only is it more detailed with a better soundstage and frequency response, it's less than U$250 with a money back guarantee, and you get a head-fi discount. The people with seriously expensive gear at http://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum7/15325.html have been doing their best to tear it apart against their high-end stuff. Of course I am going to get accused of pushing it again, but where is the word on the street that the TC-7510 can be beaten by any other DAC below U$1000? I have yet to see it in any A-B test on the net. I know one guy who is trying the old MK3 against the Chord64 on that same link. The Chord64 is about U$4000 plus, noh? And you know what, he has been really silent of late in his A-B test of the TC-7510 versus the Chord64. I wonder why
wink.gif

Aug 18, 2007 at 8:14 AM Post #7 of 74
Sigh...

Aug 18, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #9 of 74
I have an Oritek Zhaolu 2.0C, an Oritek Zhaolu 2,5C, a Promitheus NOS DAC (see note below), and a recently-received in the TC-7510 Mk 6.

I will say, even out of the box, the 7510 is a very nice sounding DAC. I will certainly give it a good amount of burn-in time; it's already been going a good 14 hours now.

That said.....both the Oritek DAC's are better, in many aspects. And, I remember them "WOW-ing" me more on first listen out of the box than the 7510 did.

Time will certainly tell, and I am keeping an open mind. I love certain things that the Promitheus DAC does, but there's a hum I need to work out. It doesn't really get in the way when music is playing, but it should be solved before I can truly compare.

So all said, I'd recommend the 7510 if you only had that money to spend. It has close competition with a stock Zhaolu 2.5, but I think (based on memory) it's a little smoother sounding [EDIT: though the Zhaolu got a lot better with cap bypass and opamp swaps]. I had the discrete amp on the Zhaolu, and I want to say it was a bit more dynamic, but it's way to early to tell (plus I don't have it any more!).

Aug 18, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #10 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am seriously considering the Oritek ZHalou as I already have a stock 2.5C. I have Beyer 880s with Cardas and the source is the Coax out of my X-Fi. What other options should I consider? I want soundstage and detail.

Make sure to put the Paradisea on your short list as well.
http://cgi.ebay.com/TDA1545A-Non-OS-...QQcmdZViewItem
Tube based NOS sound, if that's something that perks your interest.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Aug 18, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #11 of 74
yes the paradisea is on the list but I would be stretching things a bit at that price. maybe I should wait a bit longer.

Aug 18, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #12 of 74
Quote:

yes the paradisea is on the list but I would be stretching things a bit at that price. maybe I should wait a bit longer.

Yea, an extra 50$ might be worth the wait. I started off with the Constantine, and just had to try the Paradisea. It was worth the price difference eaisly.

From those who have the Paradisea and compared it to SS DACs costing quite a bit more, they are honest that it is bested in detail (though not by much). However most say there is something very unique about its sound that is pleasing to listen to. It's got no digital harshness, and the mids are really lovely.

And although it might not matter much, the tube replacements for this type, 2C51, are dirt cheap, and even one of the highest regarded sounding tubes, the WE396A, goes for 20-30$....

So yea, if you want a dac with extreme detail, a SS might be in order. If the thought of a NOS Tube based dac appeals to you though, the MHdt lineup is really worth considering, especially their top of the line Paradisea.

Either way, good luck finding a new DAC!
Should be interesting to see what you end up with.

Aug 18, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #13 of 74
I just ordered a Beresford TC-7510 b/c it was $200 shipped lol. I can't pass up a potential deal I guess. That, and I need to upgrade my PC really badly due to heat issues so the $$ I save will really help. I will keep my stock 2.5C Zhalou long enough to A> B the two dacs.

Aug 18, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #14 of 74
Quote:

I just ordered a Beresford TC-7510 b/c it was $200 shipped lol. I can't pass up a potential deal I guess. That, and I need to upgrade my PC really badly due to heat issues so the $$ I save will really help. I will keep my stock 2.5C Zhalou long enough to A> B the two dacs.

do let us know how they stack up

Aug 18, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #15 of 74
Wow, that was quick. ^_^
Hope you enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back