3rd Annual Austin, Texas Spring Meet - March 2nd, 2013
Jan 3, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #181 of 774
Norris is open for office hours Mon-Fri 9-5 for anyone able to check out the facility.

Jan 3, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #182 of 774
This is awesome! Austin resident, newbie audiophile here. Would love to come try some high-end gear and meet up with you guys. I can't supply equipment of that prestige (HD600 + O2/ODAC here), but I'd be happy to bring over some vinyls and leech off your equipment.

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #183 of 774
Quote:
This is awesome! Austin resident, newbie audiophile here. Would love to come try some high-end gear and meet up with you guys. I can't supply equipment of that prestige (HD600 + O2/ODAC here), but I'd be happy to bring over some vinyls and leech off your equipment.

Hey Stoids,

I've wanted to hear the HD600 for a long time -AND- the O2.  
biggrin.gif

I don't know for sure yet if I'll be attending, but I hope you can make it.

Mike

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #184 of 774
Quote:

Great--there is always room for entry level lovers or music, sounds and gear, as well as those at the [puts on tin helmet] "mid-fi" level.

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #185 of 774
There will be gear of all price ranges, however, typically your meet goers will be veterans who have built up rigs into summit-fi territory.

Anyone able to go by Norris? Need to lock it down if it is good before someone else takes it. I found no other affordable options so its either this or we pay a lot more.

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #187 of 774
Any time during office hours Mon-Fri 9-5. Need to check power locations take pictures or mark on a paper approximately where they are, need to know about protrusions from any walls and need to know what a comfortable distance from the door might be. I currently have tables set to 6 feet but can move back to 8 if that is better.

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #188 of 774
Ok, I will try and go Monday during lunch, I don't work too far.  I will snap lots of pics.  Power shouldn't be make or break if we are smart with extension cords and surge protectors, but I will get pictures of locations so we can compare to table locations.

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #189 of 774
I'm not worried about power, just need to know how many cords and how long. Thanks for checking it out for me (us).

Jan 4, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #191 of 774
Not for business, only events.

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #192 of 774
Here's the room, looks pretty good. I see ample power near the pillars on each side and likely more around the room.

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #193 of 774
I just went and looked at the Pecan room.  It's basically just a square room.  It certainly looks large enough, and if it isn't large enough then I think it is probably a good thing because that means we had a ton of gear.   There are 6 power outlets that I counted, but the back wall was blocked with a table so there may be 8.  On the side wall the outlets are probably 16 feet apart.  We would definitely need to string up several extension cords with power strips.  It could get slightly messy, but I think it's perfectly manageable.  With the amount of people we are going to have, the room is big enough, but ambient noise will definitely be a problem.  I'm sure we could mitigate it slightly by setting up most of the gear on one side of the room, but the sound is going to reflect, so it will be almost pointless to bother without some kind of partition.  A white noise generator might help.  There is a large hallway outside of the room and a sort of common area where the restrooms are.

The price seems right, and I get the feeling that if we catered it I could bargain with her and get it lower.  But it's probably not worth it because the meals would end up easily being 20 a person and there is a lot of food around there.  We'd just have to take turns getting lunch.  Outside food is not allowed.

The price is for 7-5.  All of the other rooms are at this facility are booked on March the 2nd, so I think we should probably act quickly.  I haven't looked at anything else mind you, but I think it really suites all of our needs and I can take care of booking it and putting a deposit down if we are ready. 

I have some pictures on my phone that I can upload when I get home, as well as an information packet that has the full menu and floorplan.  Let me know if you guys have any questions.

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #194 of 774
That wide angle shot makes it look kind of bigger than it is, but it should work fine.  No strange angles.  There is a curved wall off to the right of the perspective is the only funny angle, but other than that we'll be able to make full use of the square footage.

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #195 of 774
We won't have space to do gear only on one side, though I planned to assign the back wall and both sides first so those are the extremes in our floor plan. In this room with how many we might have, there's not a lot of free space. Next year we try to get the Red Oak room, IMO. Partition probably won't be possible, we'll just have to try our best to be quiet if the walls are that reflective. Remember though, an empty room sounds a lot louder than one with 50 people and tables/chairs and gear absorbing and breaking reflections.

99% sure there will be more power on that back wall near the projector screen, but I will ask once we've decided. I think we have enough information now to make that decision. Power shouldn't be an issue really. We all have long extension cords and power strips. If we really need to, we can talk to KTM in Dallas and see if he'll loan us some of those industrial things he says he has a garage full of. My main power concern was the amount of outlets. 6 sets plus likely 2-4 more should be ok.

Need some opinions so we can decide. Yea, or nay?

IMO this is the best we can do in this short of a time frame. Most likely we will have less turnout than I'm planning for, so noise and space may end up not being as big a deal as we think. We can do better next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back