24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded!
Apr 6, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #3,316 of 7,175
  You do realize that the pulse response is only lower amplitude for redbook because the pulse contains extremely high quantities of >20kHz content, and in the case of any real music (where >99% of the sound energy is <20kHz), redbook will not attenuate at all, right?

Exactly right.

The argument uses ultrasonic frequencies which are irrelevant.

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #3,318 of 7,175

Again, a flaw in your argument so big that you could drive a Mack truck through it. Their laptop computer, or whatever they use to listen to the CD, is very unlikely to compare to your system.

Unfortunately, in most cases, you are right. Musicians up to approx 50 years of age ALWAYS save for another, yet better instrument - in case they are not singers. And can not/do not want to invest in audio.
And most, before they reach about 50, maybe even 60 years, have time to listen to music mainly in - car. No nagging partner, no children requesting this or that, while travelling from A to B they finally have time to listen to some RECORDED music. This is also real life...

But there is an extremely small minority of musicians, who are also audiophiles. And these tend to run around with the likes of HD-800, DSD capable DACs, analog turntables, you name it - if not higher. Naturally, I cherish their remarks, opinions, etc. They tell it as they perceive it - it is as good as it gets. But they are also humans, just much more sensitive to music related matter than most other people - they are not beyond making mistakes.

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #3,320 of 7,175

Is there a master list of musicians or something?

No. 

But when people/musicians approach me for the first time with "...yet another recording engineeer....
confused.gif
..." look and , upon after hearing the recording light up with excitement, describing what they just heard with passion and sparks in their eyes - then I must be doing at least "something" right. 

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #3,321 of 7,175
  Bats are by default ready for approx 40 kHz and up sound - depends on exact species. 

You can keep company with the bats, I'm not prepared to lose the extended sub bass that I enjoy with my Mag Planar cans.
Don't tell me, they can hear from DC on upwards. Oops, DC has not time component.

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #3,322 of 7,175
  You can keep company with the bats, I'm not prepared to lose the extended sub bass that I enjoy with my Mag Planar cans.
Don't tell me, they can hear from DC on upwards. Oops, DC has not time component.

As far as I know, bats have lower limit around 1 kHz and high limit around 200 kHz http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_range#Bats

I like bass, too. And DC capable, or as near DC capable equipment as humanly possible to produce.

Apr 6, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #3,323 of 7,175
  Recording levels ARE always set equally. Same recorder, same recording level setting - just recording format selected differently.

You get the same result by bouncing DSD128 to say CD. Original DSD128 will play as it should, CD would be lacking/delaying in low levels. It is the nature how DSD and PCM work.

And it does not require ability to hear beyond 20 kHz.

When you say low levels I think "dynamic range," which the CD should more than suffice for the Concerto for Orchestra. You also mentioned that peak levels are lower for a pulse, but as others have said if a large part of the energy content of the pulse is hi-frequency, then it's energy we can't hear and the lower pulse from CD is thus audibly indistinguishable.

Apr 6, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #3,324 of 7,175

When you say low levels I think "dynamic range," which the CD should more than suffice for the Concerto for Orchestra. You also mentioned that peak levels are lower for a pulse, but as others have said if a large part of the energy content of the pulse is hi-frequency, then it's energy we can't hear and the lower pulse from CD is thus audibly indistinguishable.

It is much the same as attitude "all Japanese airplanes are biplanes and all Japanese pilots wear glasses" at the outbreak of WWII. It held true - up to the first encounter with Zeros.

You would be surprised how quietly the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra can play - it is their trademark, of which they are immensely proud - quite justifiably so. And that IS below reasonable intellegibility of CD redbook. No CD you ever could have possibly heard can do this kind of mastery of playing really quietly justice. CD produces at these really low levels AND high frequencies from multiple instruments (approx 90 members, all playing ) a decisively homogenized porridge out of real thing - this is NOT as easy as playing -100 dB level 1 kHz sine wave tone - which can be properly played back with CD redbook using appropriate dithering.

Sorry, but being conservative, even if it is overkill, usually does produce better results. Having "just" the capability, under the best possible of conditions vs having sufficient overkill for even the worst case scenario - which one would you choose, provided your own scalp is at stake ?

Apr 6, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #3,325 of 7,175
John Cage could play 4'33'' completely quiet!

Apr 6, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #3,327 of 7,175
  It is much the same as attitude "all Japanese airplanes are biplanes and all Japanese pilots wear glasses" at the outbreak of WWII. It held true - up to the first encounter with Zeros.

You would be surprised how quietly the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra can play - it is their trademark, of which they are immensely proud - quite justifiably so. And that IS below reasonable intellegibility of CD redbook. No CD you ever could have possibly heard can do this kind of mastery of playing really quietly justice. CD produces at these really low levels AND high frequencies from multiple instruments (approx 90 members, all playing ) a decisively homogenized porridge out of real thing - this is NOT as easy as playing -100 dB level 1 kHz sine wave tone - which can be properly played back with CD redbook using appropriate dithering.

Sorry, but being conservative, even if it is overkill, usually does produce better results. Having "just" the capability, under the best possible of conditions vs having sufficient overkill for even the worst case scenario - which one would you choose, provided your own scalp is at stake ?

I don't anyone has a problem with people doing the recording being conservative, but that's a different argument than audibility. And you're simultaneously talking about low volume playing AND high frequencies, which to me is exactly the textbook example of things that are inaudible. It's not like strings playing ppp are dishing out huge energies at frequencies above 22kHz.

Apr 6, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #3,328 of 7,175
  You would be surprised how quietly the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra can play - it is their trademark, of which they are immensely proud - quite justifiably so. And that IS below reasonable intellegibility of CD redbook.

If it's audible, then it's not "below reasonable intellegibility of CD redbook."

Apr 6, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #3,330 of 7,175

I don't anyone has a problem with people doing the recording being conservative, but that's a different argument than audibility. And you're simultaneously talking about low volume playing AND high frequencies, which to me is exactly the textbook example of things that are inaudible. It's not like strings playing ppp are dishing out huge energies at frequencies above 22kHz.

Of course not - but what highs is there, gets recorded with reduced amplitude and delayed in time - smearing the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back