24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded!
Apr 6, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #3,302 of 7,175
  So now we're back into time travel. Are you deliberately trying to entertain us or do you really believe this stuff?

There is a thread regarding DSD recording of a group that was raising funding on Kickstarter - somewhere here on head-fi. It was brought up by other head-fiers, I am no way alone in making this claim of DSD being superior to PCM in what you term "time travel". It IS.

I do not want to entertain anybody, I have more on my plate than required already - and should be doing my "chores". But since I really do believe what I wrote - every word of it - I feel important to try to present this belief, founded on listening, to others.

Apr 6, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #3,303 of 7,175

It's not like higher res formats get better rise times from magic; they add in frequency content, at frequencies that we can't hear.

Of course there is no magic involved.

But please see the difference in pulse response in the lindberg link :  CD can reach only about 14 % of the actual pulse - where DSD is at 98+ %. That is one hell of a lot difference in LEVEL - and should be easily audible. 

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #3,305 of 7,175
  Explain that to musicians. Who have been practicing for umpteen "yet another mile".

Specially the ones who stated, loud and clear, that they have never heard their playing/instrument better recorded. 

Is that supposed to be a scientific, reasoned conclusion? They would be just as happy with the recording when downsampled to 16/44.

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #3,306 of 7,175

But please see the difference in pulse response in the lindberg link :  CD can reach only about 14 % of the actual pulse - where DSD is at 98+ %. That is one hell of a lot difference in LEVEL - and should be easily audible. 

What link?

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #3,307 of 7,175
I think this sums up today's posts...

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #3,308 of 7,175
LMMFAO 
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #3,310 of 7,175
I can hear hyper sonic frequencies from outer space!

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #3,311 of 7,175

Is that supposed to be a scientific, reasoned conclusion? They would be just as happy with the recording when downsampled to 16/44.

In a way, yes. Musicians being as satisfied, that is.

But each time, when a musician wanted to get out of the recording hall with the "I will hear it on CD you'll send to me" attitude - AND - upon my insisting to listen to the real deal, he/she was grateful. Some went as far as listening to the entire concert - all over again !

And few have actually commented that downsampled to CD , once they received it ( regardless done to the best of my abilities, using methods also disproved and disbelieved in these pages ), the music no longer sounded as good as from the DSD master. 

Musician is perhaps the last "animal" you are likely to get to listen to his/hers recording right after the recording. Most will refuse it - understandable, mentally they are too exhausted and certainly NOT eager to hear their own mistakes in full glory. 101% for sure you are not going to get ANY musician to listen to ABX of DSD vs CD bounce - and it takes approx 1/6th of a real time length of the recording to bounce it down to CD. that is approx 20-25 minutes waiting after the concert of duration of 2 hours or so - by that time, all musicians are in the inn, relaxing over dinner and adult beverages ... 

That is REAL life - and "science" can think of it as it pleases.

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #3,314 of 7,175
  And few have actually commented that downsampled to CD , once they received it ( regardless done to the best of my abilities, using methods also disproved and disbelieved in these pages ), the music no longer sounded as good as from the DSD master.

Again, a flaw in your argument so big that you could drive a Mack truck through it. Their laptop computer, or whatever they use to listen to the CD, is very unlikely to compare to your system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back