2359glenn | studio
Oct 16, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #14,266 of 39,994
The 300B amp is more powerful but I don't think it sounds any better. I am using basically the same transformers just a different primary impedance
and air gap.
The EL3N amp is a much better bang for the buck.

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #14,267 of 39,994
If somebody also wants to power speakers as well as headphones, I can totally understand the use of the 300B.

I have noticed using my planar headphone for the last two weeks...they respond very well with the C3g's as driver tubes.

If somebody wants a 300b amp...maybe still make it for them...it will just cost them much more, but if that makes them happy.

You know what they say....that last 5-10% that somebody is looking for can be costly.

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #14,269 of 39,994
  It will be $1750 unless you want a Gold Point Stepped attenuater or Duelund coupling capacitors.
Right now it is using a Alps Blue velvet pot and Jupiter coupling caps.

This is great price. But unfortunately, my old house is a bit of a money pit, so I am going to have to wait until I win the lottery (or find a sugar momma? lol).

Oct 17, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #14,270 of 39,994
EL3N + EL3N appears to result in quite a lot of gain.  I can't tell if the datasheet is giving the value for pentode or triode mode though.

Glenn is there not enough gain or voltage swing available to try this as a single stage design?  Would be cheaper and even better sounding with fewer parts if it could be pulled off.  The best coupling cap is no coupling cap after all.

Oct 17, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #14,271 of 39,994

Glenn is there not enough gain or voltage swing available to try this as a single stage design?  Would be cheaper and even better sounding with fewer parts if it could be pulled off.  The best coupling cap is no coupling cap after all.

Another variation for direct drive (no cap or IT trafor), two stage is direct reactance drive (DRD).  Had built one for 45 tube, sound very good.  This sure would work for EL3N to attain enough voltage swing.

Oct 17, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #14,273 of 39,994
  I think eliminating the second stage all together where possible is kind of the holy grail for transparency in tube amps.

I done that but screwed up and ran it in pentode when single. Sounds like crap in pentode!!!
The EL3N has a gain of 20 in triode and 30 in pentode that is why I tried it in pentode.
Next amp I will put a switch 1 stage or 2 stage and leave it triode.
Have parts for another amp coming.

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #14,274 of 39,994

Another variation for direct drive (no cap or IT trafor), two stage is direct reactance drive (DRD).  Had built one for 45 tube, sound very good.  This sure would work for EL3N to attain enough voltage swing.

Still needs a large choke how does that sound much different then a inter stage transformer?

Oct 18, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #14,275 of 39,994

I done that but screwed up and ran it in pentode when single. Sounds like crap in pentode!!!
The EL3N has a gain of 20 in triode and 30 in pentode that is why I tried it in pentode.
Next amp I will put a switch 1 stage or 2 stage and leave it triode.
Have parts for another amp coming.

20 is pretty iffy, but I still think it would be fun to try it.  The Inspire has a gain of 20 running 6SN7s and I can completely max the volume out on that amp without it really being all that loud.

I would LOVE to hear what an EML 30A amp would sound like.  Single stage, just two tubes with HEXFREDs for rectification.  The plate resistance on the 30A might be too high to work as an output tube, but I don't know enough about it to say either way.

These tubes are supposed to sound better than 45s or 300Bs and with a single stage and no coupling parts in the signal path it might be the top of the tube amp hill for headphone amplification.  They're directly heated, so maybe they're a pain to work with like the 45 was, but I bet it would sound amazing.

I'm too content with what I already have to pursue another amp, but I can't stop being curious about it all the same.

Oct 19, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #14,279 of 39,994

20 is pretty iffy, but I still think it would be fun to try it.  The Inspire has a gain of 20 running 6SN7s and I can completely max the volume out on that amp without it really being all that loud.

I would LOVE to hear what an EML 30A amp would sound like.  Single stage, just two tubes with HEXFREDs for rectification.  The plate resistance on the 30A might be too high to work as an output tube, but I don't know enough about it to say either way.

These tubes are supposed to sound better than 45s or 300Bs and with a single stage and no coupling parts in the signal path it might be the top of the tube amp hill for headphone amplification.  They're directly heated, so maybe they're a pain to work with like the 45 was, but I bet it would sound amazing.

I'm too content with what I already have to pursue another amp, but I can't stop being curious about it all the same.

oh! If it's the same as the Inspire this is gonna be just fine! Let me try it and see.

Oct 19, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #14,280 of 39,994
Glenn,
What would the improvements be by upgrading to the duelund caps.
Ray

My .02 cents in case you find it helpful, since I have a lot of listening hours with both cap types being discussed:  If you have a discerning ear for detail, the duelunds let a bit more fine detail come through and improve transparency a bit.  They also are a bit more "honest" tone-wise in my opinion, layered but a bit less "romantic" shall we say than most paper in oil caps (which pretty much all sound nice in their own way).  The Russian PIO caps Glenn uses also sound very nice.  If you are looking for tube "richness" over a neutral sound they naturally complement that tonal balance while still having good resolution.  The way note decay is rendered is particularly endearing.

Speaking purely in terms of resolution and accuracy the duelund is a step up.  Whether it's worth the cost (they're not cheap) is a personal choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back