2359glenn | studio
Oct 16, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #14,251 of 39,994
Still can't remove the Code-X from my ears; such an incredibly airy, natural soundstage on the GEL3N. For a while there I thought I caught a minor 'flaw', but I swapped in the Hexfreds and now the bass is taut enough. Lose a bit of naturalness and decay compared to the 3dg4, but this is more my sound.

In Triode mode, I'm only at 9 o clock on the volume dial. My Code-X are pretty power hungry as far as cans go, and I can't imagine needing to go into Pentode but then of course my HE6 is there leering at me waiting to get its turn.

The density of tone in this amp is extremely nice. Vivid yet sweet is how I'd describe the sound. The separation and ability to resolve fast, complex passages on a dime is also very very good: pinpoint, crystal clear, yet not sharp or harsh at all.

Oct 16, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #14,253 of 39,994
  Still can't remove the Code-X from my ears; such an incredibly airy, natural soundstage on the GEL3N. For a while there I thought I caught a minor 'flaw', but I swapped in the Hexfreds and now the bass is taut enough (still not the tautest, but no longer a flaw). Lose a bit of naturalness and decay compared to the 3dg4, but this is more my sound.

In Triode mode, I'm only at 9 o clock on the volume dial. My Code-X are pretty power hungry as far as cans go, and I can't imagine needing to go into Pentode but then of course my HE6 is there leering at me waiting to get its turn.

The density of tone in this amp is extremely nice. Vivid yet sweet is how I'd describe the sound. The separation and ability to resolve fast, complex passages on a dime is also very very good: pinpoint, crystal clear, yet not sharp or harsh at all.

Hi jelt2359.

Am really glad Glenn's EL3N-based amp is bringing you the same joy (and surprise lol!) it did him...looks like he did a wonderful job bringing out the best in this tube.

I don't know how many hours Glenn put on them, but in my Elise I (and others) found many aspects of the tube's sound - particularly in the bass qualities - improved quite dramatically over a long period...even beyond the 100hrs mark. I suspect this may well also be the case in your amp, even though my Elise is OTL. Should be interesting to see if you notice any such changes over time.

Congrats on your new amp...

Oct 16, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #14,254 of 39,994
Can it do the HE6 justice?

There are two camps of he6 listeners. If you want every last ounce of performance then you will always be looking to speaker amps. The overall visceral impact of the he6 really shines with a good speaker amp.

If you are in the other camp however you'll probably love the gel3n with the he6 and never feel you're missing anything.

In other news I just tried the hd800s with my gel3n. I still prefer my other otl amp (apex teton), which gives it a more musical and richer sound overall. The two, the otl and the gel3n, are a great complement though. The former for high impedance dynamic cans, the latter for lower impedance planars.

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #14,255 of 39,994

Can it do the HE6 justice?

There are two camps of he6 listeners. If you want every last ounce of performance then you will always be looking to speaker amps. The overall visceral impact of the he6 really shines with a good speaker amp.

If you are in the other camp however you'll probably love the gel3n with the he6 and never feel you're missing anything.

In other news I just tried the hd800s with my gel3n. I still prefer my other otl amp (apex teton), which gives it a more musical and richer sound overall. The two, the otl and the gel3n, are a great complement though. The former for high impedance dynamic cans, the latter for lower impedance planars.

Thanks much for your impressions, they are very much appreciated.

Congrats on your new amp.

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #14,257 of 39,994
Guess I better order parts to build more of these EL3N amps.
At first I couldn't give that one away.

With the recent revisions you made Glenn, how much would you sellthe V2 model?

Oct 16, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #14,259 of 39,994
Update on Pentode vs Triode mode:

The Pentode mode brings the amp down at least two to three notches in performance. It's so drastic I can't imagine anyone ever using it. In fact I think the rational choice would be to remove this switch once and for all!

Oct 16, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #14,260 of 39,994
Update on Pentode vs Triode mode:

The Pentode mode brings the amp down at least two to three notches in performance. It's so drastic I can't imagine anyone ever using it. In fact I think the rational choice would be to remove this switch once and for all!

Yours was the prototype I just wanted to try in pentode mode. I found triode to be far superior.
I will leave this switch out on future amps and eliminate the wires that go to it.

Oct 16, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #14,261 of 39,994
  Thanks much for your impressions, they are very much appreciated.

Congrats on your new amp.

You're welcome. Just stating what I hear.

Guess I better order parts to build more of these EL3N amps.
At first I couldn't give that one away.

No other way to put it: I got lucky. I only joined this thread after I had bought the GEL3N, and only then did I find out you'd already had it for a few months! Besides, how often does one get to buy a Glenn amp brand new and have it ship instantly? Anyhow, I can't imagine why they didn't sell well. I find it absolutely awesome that it uses these cheap, unwanted EL3N tubes. I have a boatload of 6SN7, 2A3, 300B and of course rectifiers of all shapes and sizes at home, and I'd much rather have these fuss-free EL3N, thank you very much. Thanks also for the V2 upgrade to the rectifier sockets :)

Hi jelt2359.

Am really glad Glenn's EL3N-based amp is bringing you the same joy (and surprise lol!) it did him...looks like he did a wonderful job bringing out the best in this tube.

I don't know how many hours Glenn put on them, but in my Elise I (and others) found many aspects of the tube's sound - particularly in the bass qualities - improved quite dramatically over a long period...even beyond the 100hrs mark. I suspect this may well also be the case in your amp, even though my Elise is OTL. Should be interesting to see if you notice any such changes over time.

Congrats on your new amp...

Can't speak for other implementations- he did also say that I could use the EL3N in my OTL's, but honestly I can't be bothered. My tube rolling days are behind me... Since Glenn's had this amp for a few months, I'm quite sure it's well burnt-in.

PS, in my personal view, the OTL sound is a very distinct one, and you either love it or you hate it. Sound aside, what I enjoy about these amps is that you can tune the output impedance with tube choice. For example, if I want something clearer, I go for the 6528 tube. If I want something more lush, perhaps the WE421A. In fact, as much as I enjoy the HD800 on a more romantic OTL amp, I sometimes feel in the mood for uber clarity and roll in the 6528 tubes- in fact, that's been happening more and more lately.

In fact I should probably compare my OTL amp with the 6528 (and in IEM mode, which drops it to really low output impedance), vs the GEL3N....

Oct 16, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #14,262 of 39,994

Yours was the prototype I just wanted to try in pentode mode. I found triode to be far superior.
I will leave this switch out on future amps and eliminate the wires that go to it.

Yes, that is a good decision!

Oct 16, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #14,263 of 39,994
  It will be $1750 unless you want a Gold Point Stepped attenuater or Duelund coupling capacitors.
Right now it is using a Alps Blue velvet pot and Jupiter coupling caps.

Nice price Glenn.

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #14,264 of 39,994
In the long run I would like to replace the 300B amp with the EL3N amp.
Finding good 300Bs is expensive and most are crap and unstable.
EL3Ns are still cheep nobody uses them except people on the Elise thread.

This is the only amp dedicated to the EL3N all amplification is done with EL3Ns.
This amp sounds as good or better then my 2A3 headphone amp.
I built that amp before I used Lundahl transformers that might be the difference.

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #14,265 of 39,994
I agree with the 300B tubes being far too pricey and unstable...for the price of some of those tubes...".you could roll headphones"    
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back